[news.sysadmin] Worm vs. Virus

kdo@edsel (Ken Olum) (11/11/88)

In article <3595@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
>> (Note -- it's a worm, not a virus, since it can replicate itself and
>> does not hide itself inside other code.)
>
>	Several people have mentioned that it's a worm and not a virus.  I
>tried to explain this to my wife (who is a molecular biologist who works
>with biolgical viruses) and she didn't like the term worm.  She says that
>the distinction of not hiding inside other code is better described by
>calling them lytic viruses and lysogenic viruses instead of worms and
>viruses.  Anybody for electronic transposons?

The terminology depends on the exact analogy that you make between
computers and living things.  If you say that a machine is like a
cell, then this recent problem is indeed a virus, because it gets
inside your host and uses the machinery of the host to reproduce
itself and spread to other machines.  If you say that a program is
like a cell, and a machine is like a multicellular organism, then it's
a parasite instead.  If you say a machine is just a fertile place
where programs live, then the "virus' is just a random organism.  I
favor the first analogy, and I think the lytic/lysogenic terms are
good ones, but somehow I can't see them getting used much by the news
media.

					Ken Olum

hans@duttnph.UUCP (Hans Buurman) (11/12/88)

In article <1617@edsel> kdo@lucid.com writes:
>In article <3595@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>>spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
>>> (Note -- it's a worm, not a virus, since it can replicate itself and
>>> does not hide itself inside other code.)
>>(...)  She says that
>>the distinction of not hiding inside other code is better described by
>>calling them lytic viruses and lysogenic viruses instead of worms and
>>viruses.  Anybody for electronic transposons?
>(...)  I
>favor the first analogy, and I think the lytic/lysogenic terms are
>good ones, but somehow I can't see them getting used much by the news
>media.

If you look at the reproduction rate, shouldn't this program be called
a rabbit ?

:-)

	Hans

Hans Buurman                   | hans@duttnph.UUCP
Pattern Recognition Group      | mcvax!dutrun!duttnph!hans
Faculty of Applied Physics     | tel. 31 - (0) 15 - 78 46 94
Delft University of Technology |
the Netherlands                |
Disclaimer: any opinions expressed above are my own.