[news.sysadmin] Security checkup

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (10/03/88)

One of my neighbor sites was recently vandalized by an electronic
intruder.  That puts my site in some jeopardy because one of the
files compromised was the uucp Systems file.  My site was similarly
vandalized a year or so ago and for all I know the intruder that
attacked my neighbor got the info from my system :-(

I would like to know if one or more of the more seasoned System
Administrators could post some preventative measures that those of
us with less experience could use.  I'm aware that there's little
to protect you from an expert renegade, but I mean the sorts of
things to keep out a journeyman prowler.

On my system, for example, I did not have my root crontab restricted
enough and that's how the intruder got root privileges.  I'm as
puzzled today as I was shocked when it happened.  Further, I am not
asking for anything that would make it easier for a malicious reader
to become an intruder, just a general check up kind of thing, what
things can have setuid, what shouldn't, what kinds of permissions
should be on the contents of certain directories, etc.  Yes, please
even include the obvious like "guest" accounts, I'll bet there are
still some around.

I'm looking forward (and I'll bet a lot more of the greener SA's) to
reading your recommendations.  Thanks!
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill

mohamed@hscfvax.harvard.edu (Mohamed Ellozy) (10/03/88)

In article <167@carpet.WLK.COM> bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:

>I would like to know if one or more of the more seasoned System
>Administrators could post some preventative measures that those of
>us with less experience could use.  I'm aware that there's little
>to protect you from an expert renegade, but I mean the sorts of
>things to keep out a journeyman prowler.

Read the article by Grampp and Morris in the October 1984 UNIX issue of the
AT&T Bell Laboratories Technical Journal, then the book byWood and Kochan
entitled UNIX Sytem Security (Hayden Books, 1985, ISBN 0-8104-6267-2.

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (10/03/88)

I've found that Pat Wood's _UNIX System Security_, while
SysV-intensive, is nonetheless a very good all-around sort of guide to
the more common but not necessarily obvious problems of keeping your
system buttoned down tight.  Find a copy; I last saw it (right after
publication, I think) about 2 years ago - should be readily findable
in most computer-related bookstores.  It'll give you a good outlook, a
mindset suited to detecting those sorts of problems.

--Karl

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (10/03/88)

Here's a very rough list of things to check:

1) make sure / /bin /usr /usr/bin /etc /usr/spool
and any other bin directories are all mode 755 or less (ie, 555,
751, etc).

2) Allow NO accounts without passwords, including uucp.

3) Don't have any accounts other than root with uid 0

4) Make sure no files in any bin or /etc are writeable by anyone
other than user root (or bin, if you have things set up that way --
if you do, don't have bin's entry in /etc/passwd with a
runnable shell or password).

5) crontab, mem, kmem, uucp/L.sys should not be readable by
world.  Crontab should probably be mode 600.  The rest should
be something like 440.  Programs that read kmem to display
status should be setGid to some group (named, kmem, for instance).

6) On many systems, "at" is a security hole.  If no one uses it,
disable it.

7) Don't run anything out of crontab as root unless you absolutely
must.  For instance, to run the nightly news scripts, use "su"
in the crontab file to run the scripts as user news.
E.g.,
40 1 0 0 0	su news </usr/lib/news/nightly

8) Keep a list of all setuid/setgid files on your system (use
"find", for instance).  Keep the list off-line.  Recheck it
periodically and see if any files have changed size or modification
time (or had those bits added or deleted).

9) If your system logs bad login attempts to the console, or
bad attempts to change passwords, then be sure to audit your
logs -- frequently!

10) On BSD systems, don't have any setuid/setgid shell scripts --
unless you know that the security hole with them has been fixed
on your system.

11) Don't have the "." directory in the PATH variable for root
or for any privileged user.

12) Don't have any special versions of "su" around that don't
require a password.

13) If you're running in an NFS environment, don't have
any workstations located where untrusted individuals can
reboot them.

None of these is hard and fast "must do's", but if you don't
understand why I recommend them, you probably shouldn't
avoid them.  I know how to use all but 8 & 9 to break into
systems, and I am certainly not the only one.  There are other
considerations, but they are more specific and might give
clues to someone wanting to know how to break into a system,
so I won't go into detail here.

--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

ziegler@lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) (10/04/88)

In article <167@carpet.WLK.COM>, bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
> I would like to know if one or more of the more seasoned System
> Administrators could post some preventative measures that those of
> us with less experience could use.

Please, please, please!!  Anyone with knowledge enough to answer
this question, DO NOT POST IT TO THE NET!!!!  Electronic mail and
net postings are grossly inappropriate places to discuss security.

If you have recommendations about books or articles to read, those
can be posted.  Specific recommendations should be communicated in
person or by telephone.  Hackers do not need encouragement or
challenges, much less the helpful hints that such responses would
undoubtedly contain.  'Nuff said.

		Joe Ziegler
		AT&T Bell Laboratories
		att!lznv!ziegler

The opinions expressed are the explicit policy of my company.

peo@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Paul Orman) (10/04/88)

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
> I would like to know if one or more of the more seasoned System
> Administrators could post some preventative measures that those of
> us with less experience could use.  I'm aware that there's little
> to protect you from an expert renegade, but I mean the sorts of
> things to keep out a journeyman prowler.

I certainly am not one of the "more seasoned System Administrators" but
I do know a good place to start with system security is the:

National Computer Security Center
9800 Savage Rd.
Fort Meade, MD 20755-6000
301-688-8742

Call and ask for the "RAINBOW" package.  This is slightly overkill since
the NCSC normally sends this package out to hardware and software vendors
wishing to have their products security "rated" by US Gov. standards and
tons of the material deal with the security ratings, however it does have
much information that can be applied directly to a UN*X based system.
Other interesting reading on security issues would be "UNIX REVIEW" volume 6
number 2.  Of special interest is the article "A loss of Innocence" by
Patrick Wood.  The information supplied in these sources should be more
than enough to put together as secure a system as one desired (within
present day limitations - of course).

Paul Orman - encore!peo                |  I don't know enough to speak for
Sys Admin    peo@multimax.ARPA         |   myself, let alone my employer.
ENCORE Computer Corporation            |

rfarris@serene.CTS.COM (Rick Farris) (10/04/88)

In article <167@carpet.WLK.COM> bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>One of my neighbor sites was recently vandalized by an electronic
>intruder.

>On my system, for example, I did not have my root crontab restricted
>enough and that's how the intruder got root privileges.
>Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

Darn!  That's clever.  I'll bet they did a crontab -l to a file they could
write, and then put a command in to copy L.sys to a file they would own, eh?
Awesome.  How does one deal with this?

I'd also like to pick up some more security tips.  I would like to allow more
shell accounts on my system, but I'm worried about security.

I understand the concern for security, is there a mailing list or something
where we could discuss these issues?

Rick Farris            rfarris@serene.cts.com     voice         (619) 259-6793
POB M                          KCBIW              public access       259-7757
Del Mar CA 92014      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris    serene.uucp         259-3704

pmech@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Paul J. Mech) (10/04/88)

In article <5014@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:

> 2) Allow NO accounts without passwords, including uucp.

One place to watch out for is that many systems come with a hardware-vendor
maintainence uid, often with root permissions. I have broken into (in each
case at the request of the system's owner) three separate systems (a VAX,
a Tower, and an Isotron/OSI) with this approach, and if not granted root
privileges immediately, gained root access within 5 min. This is a massive
hole that frequently has not been clearly documented.

Paul J. Mech

dpw@unisec.usi.com (Darryl P. Wagoner) (10/04/88)

In article <1454@lznv.ATT.COM> ziegler@lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) writes:
>In article <167@carpet.WLK.COM>, bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>
>Please, please, please!!  Anyone with knowledge enough to answer
>this question, DO NOT POST IT TO THE NET!!!!  Electronic mail and
>net postings are grossly inappropriate places to discuss security.

Yes, this is very good advice and no matter what don't post info on
security books like Unix System Security by Pat Wood; this would be
a hackers guide to breaking in.  So don't tell anyone about this book
or others like it. :-)

It will keep a lot of SA's in the dark while the hackers rape their
systems.  As more and more Unix boxs start to pop up there will
be more and more novice SAs running them.  At one time I could see
the merit in this thinking, but that time has passed.  I would say
that there will be many more SAs out there that will be helped by
this information than hackers that will learn how to break in.

--
Darryl Wagoner		dpw@unisec.usi.com
UniSecure Systems, Inc.; 			OS/2, Just say No!

pmech@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Paul J. Mech) (10/04/88)

In article <1454@lznv.ATT.COM>, ziegler@lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) writes:

> Please, please, please!!  Anyone with knowledge enough to answer
> this question, DO NOT POST IT TO THE NET!!!!  Electronic mail and
> net postings are grossly inappropriate places to discuss security.

You are of course correct. My news admin says that there is no way to
stop my previous article. Appologies.

pjm

merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) (10/04/88)

In article <5014@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, spaf@cs (Gene Spafford) writes:

| Here's a very rough list of things to check:
[...]
| 9) If your system logs bad login attempts to the console, or
| bad attempts to change passwords, then be sure to audit your
| logs -- frequently!
[...]
|	       I know how to use all but 8 & 9 to break into
| systems, and I am certainly not the only one.

Arrgggh.  No.  If you have a feature that "logs bad login attempts to
the console" TURN IT OFF.  This is a *bad* *idea* (as Dave Barry would
put it).  This has been discussed in security circles, and even on
this net, if I remember correctly.

If you don't see how this is a bad idea, send me mail.  I'll reply,
mailers willing.

Yours for a more secure future,
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN Technical Information Services (for now :-),

In article <1454@lznv.ATT.COM> ziegler@lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) writes:
>Please, please, please!!  Anyone with knowledge enough to answer
>this question, DO NOT POST IT TO THE NET!!!!  Electronic mail and
>net postings are grossly inappropriate places to discuss security.

Wrong Sir.

Hackers already know these things.

Novice admins don't.

Who gets burned?  Not the hacker.  And few of their kind will be helped.
The most important item in any type of preventative measure is
_information_.

The more information, the better.  You can't plug a hole you don't know
exists.  Nearly _all_ holes can be effectively defused IF you know they
exist.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (10/05/88)

In article <1454@lznv.ATT.COM> ziegler@lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) writes:
>In article <167@carpet.WLK.COM>, bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
[ deleting what I wrote ]

>Please, please, please!!  Anyone with knowledge enough to answer
>this question, DO NOT POST IT TO THE NET!!!!  Electronic mail and
>net postings are grossly inappropriate places to discuss security.

Darn it Joe, you're wrong, dead wrong!  You're reacting as though
we're publishing the latest technique.  That's not what I asked and
it's not what's coming back.

Rather than just arbitrarily flog you, let me provide an example.  Gene
Spafford says that "at" can be a problem and if you don't need it, get
rid of it.  There's a world of difference between what he said and what
I read from your article
"For God's sake don't show 'em how to use `at' to crack"
Not a bit.  Gene, a generally accepted veteran says "if you don't need
`at' get rid of it".  I've been an SA for three years, I didn't know
that, so I went and looked.  Guess what?  Gene's as dead right as you
are dead wrong.  Will I share the technique?  Not on your life!  BTW
no one need try "at" at ssbn.

>If you have recommendations about books or articles to read, those
>can be posted.  Specific recommendations should be communicated in
>person or by telephone.

That guarantees connectivity delays that could be moot before they
were heard.  Sorry Joe, the sky isn't falling (nor did you say it
was).  This is where the rubber meets the road and the articles and
email I have collected thus far have been immensely useful.

(small) flame on...

You're representative of the paranoia that makes learning so difficult.
Your remarks reinforce a comment (made in ironic jest) that UNIX is an
"oral tradition".  Don't look through a cellophane navel, those people
are out there.  I asked for some simple things to check.  I got 'em,
thousands of others did too.  If it only triggered an awareness, I'm right
are you're wrong.

(small) flame off..

> Hackers do not need encouragement or
>challenges, much less the helpful hints that such responses would
>undoubtedly contain.  'Nuff said.
>
>		Joe Ziegler
>		AT&T Bell Laboratories
>		att!lznv!ziegler
>
>The opinions expressed are the explicit policy of my company.

I have seen nothing posted or in mail that even hinted at technique.
I would be standing by your flagpole satuting with you if someone had
said anything about "how".  I asked "what", the responses are "what",
'Nuff said.

Cheap shot on...

In almost every response, posted or not, people say "NO ACCOUNTS WITH
NO PASSWORD, NOT EVEN nuucp!"

>The opinions expressed are the explicit policy of my company.

Then why does your company have uucp logins without passwords?  I agree
with Jonathan (SA att-mt) that anyone could masquerade as anyone else,
but dammit!  Not without a valid password!

Cheap shot off..

I took up space and bandwidth (rather a lot of it) to show the myopia
that we have.  My apologies to Joe, he didn't know he was waltzing into
my minefield.  What's more important is that he (Joe) is in the majority.
He thinks it's *wrong* to think or talk about good security health.  God
love him, he has missed the entire point.  We're *all* out here, we're
*all* vulnerable.  I welcome all the email I got, I'm preparing a summary
for the net.  The summary, like what I've read here so far, will contain
no technique, just preventative medicine.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,rutgers,sun!daver,uunet!bigtex}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

There was a wonderful 18th Century document urging people not to keep a
discussion of security or insecurity of locks secret posted to comp.risks
recently. It might be worthwhile to repost it in this forum.

"Rogues are very keen in their profession, and already know much more
 than we can teach them respecting their several kinds of roguery.  Rogues knew
 a good deal about lockpicking long before locksmiths discussed it among them-
 selves, as they have lately done..."
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter@ficc.uu.net

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (10/05/88)

In article <2968@mipos3.intel.com> merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) writes:
>Arrgggh.  No.  If you have a feature that "logs bad login attempts to
>the console" TURN IT OFF.  This is a *bad* *idea* (as Dave Barry would
>put it).  This has been discussed in security circles, and even on
>this net, if I remember correctly.

The way it is often IMPLEMENTED it is a bad idea.  The IDEA of auditing
is standard security practice and the capability is a required part of
getting a multi-level secure rating on an OS (B2 and above? I forget).
If you don't know when someone is trying to break in, you can't take
action against them -- maintaining an audit and reviewing it frequently
is the only way to do this.

For this kind of audit feature to not be misused, you must sure that no
one other than a trusted individual (i.e., sysadmin) has any access to
the console log.  Of course, that is a good idea anyhow, since most
system consoles allow the user to halt the machine and come back up
single user.

The only problem with logging bad attempts to the console is
when someone mixes up and types their password for the account name.
That happens infrequently, and if trusted personnel are the only ones
to see the record, it isn't a problem -- especially if the notify
the account holder that the password has been compromised.

I stand by my recommendation.
--

merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) (10/05/88)

In article <2968@mipos3.intel.com>, I wrote:
| In article <5014@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, spaf@cs (Gene Spafford) writes:
| |
| | Here's a very rough list of things to check:
| [...]
| | 9) If your system logs bad login attempts to the console, or
| | bad attempts to change passwords, then be sure to audit your
| | logs -- frequently!
| [...]
| |	       I know how to use all but 8 & 9 to break into
| | systems, and I am certainly not the only one.
|
| Arrgggh.  No.  If you have a feature that "logs bad login attempts to
| the console" TURN IT OFF.  This is a *bad* *idea* (as Dave Barry would
| put it).  This has been discussed in security circles, and even on
| this net, if I remember correctly.

OK, enough people mailed me (hint: stop sending mail!!) saying "How?",
and one person even said "If you were trying to keep this from bad
guys by not posting, how do you know I am not a bad guy?"  Good point.

4.3bsd for example logs just the username to the console.  This would
seem secure, but in all the times you have logged in, have you
never-ever-ever because of network delays, or not paying attention,
accidentally entered your password when it said "username"?  THAT'S
THE PROBLEM.  Those that have looked into this have noticed that the
"bad login" log almost always contains a valid password *in the clear*
during any typical work day.

Their conclusion: if a bad login log is maintained, it should have
"login failed", but no username if not a valid username.

Those that have said "my console log is in a secure place" are only
slightly better off.  Do you still want a piece of paper that is known
to have hardcopy of at least one good password per day floating around
the comp center?

Enough rambling.  Back to hacking with "at"... :-)
--

romkey@asylum.UUCP (John Romkey) (10/05/88)

In article <1454@lznv.ATT.COM> ziegler@lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) writes:
>Please, please, please!!  Anyone with knowledge enough to answer
>this question, DO NOT POST IT TO THE NET!!!!  Electronic mail and
>net postings are grossly inappropriate places to discuss security.

Security through obscurity does NOT work. Over and over again people
have tried to protect their systems through ignorance. If the
information exists anywhere, expect the crackers to find it. If it
isn't written down, expect them to figure it out. It's amazing what
you can do with a manual set, a bored mind and a terminal.

By hiding this information you're not disadvantaging the serious
crackers or even the semi-serious ones. You're only really hurting the
system administrators who could use it to try to protect their
systems.

On the other hand, it would be pretty lame to just send a note in to
net.* about the latest greatest way to break into 4.3 or VMS until
a fix for it has been found and it has been communicated through
some more subtle means.

Also, while it's pretty reasonable to post guidelines about how to
secure systems, people who follow these guidelines should also not
believe their systems are really secure. If your system is connected
to a network or is physically accessible, it's probably not secure.
--
			- john romkey
UUCP: romkey@asylum.uucp		ARPA: romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (10/06/88)

Could we stop calling those people who break in "hackers"?  Let's not
continue to support the public's gross misuse of that once-honorable
appellation.

jhc@att.ATT.COM (Jonathan Hawbrook-Clark) (10/06/88)

In article <233@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>Then why does your company have uucp logins without passwords?  I agree
>with Jonathan (SA att-mt) that anyone could masquerade as anyone else,
>but dammit!  Not without a valid password!

Actually this isn't true, we *do* have passwords on the nuucp login,
it's just that we choose to finesse the entire login procedure and
dump callers straight into the program they were going to invoke
anyway. This is done partially in the name of security, and partially
for convenience.

The problem of having unique logins/passwords for each site boils
down to one of key security. The security of having a key which is
fairly widely known, held in cleartext, and never changed, is
minimal. So we wouldn't trust it anyway.
--
Jonathan Clark		jonathan@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan
Any affiliation is given for identification purposes only.

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.

ejnihill@sactoh0.UUCP (Eric J. Nihill) (10/06/88)

In article <1834@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
> In article <1454@lznv.ATT.COM> ziegler@lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) writes:
> >Please, please, please!!  Anyone with knowledge enough to answer
> >this question, DO NOT POST IT TO THE NET!!!!  Electronic mail and
> >net postings are grossly inappropriate places to discuss security.
>

> The more information, the better.  You can't plug a hole you don't know
> exists.  Nearly _all_ holes can be effectively defused IF you know they
> exist.

  As a SA , a fairly new SA, I would be interested in learning about what
security leaks are out there. I am all to well aware that there are many
on both sides of the fence with more knowledge than I and some are always
wanting to prove it. However, the danger of posting it to the net is not
that you will teach the knowledgeable, but may provide the missing link to
those that are stymied by the current protection scheme of the system that
they are on.
  I am for the distribution of knowledge, but only to the appropiate people.
One way to do that would to be send out any request for security information
via mail. Address ..foo!bar!root
  By sending to  root  only, you are putting a semi-control on the
distribution. The "sysop, postmaster, etc." may not always be root.
  Yes, send me any information that you may think I should know regarding
security, but send it to root.
                                 Eric
                               ...pacbell!sactoh0!root

#  Sign In Triplicate before   #  Serving The State Capitol Of  #
#  Discarding:________________ #  California: sactoh0           #

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (10/06/88)

>> I would like to know if one or more of the more seasoned System
>> Administrators could post some preventative measures that those of
>> us with less experience could use.
>
>Please, please, please!!  Anyone with knowledge enough to answer
>this question, DO NOT POST IT TO THE NET!!!!  Electronic mail and
>net postings are grossly inappropriate places to discuss security.
>
>If you have recommendations about books or articles to read, those
>can be posted.  Specific recommendations should be communicated in
>person or by telephone.  Hackers do not need encouragement or
>challenges, much less the helpful hints that such responses would
>undoubtedly contain.  'Nuff said.

I've always wondered if perhaps the main proponents of this line of thinking
were the hackers themselves.

After all they have alternate methods of spreading this information among
themselves, and it wouldn't do them any good to see the information be given
to the many system administrators on the net.

The discussion about this has taken place many times on the net. I believe
that the current (?) concensus of opinion is to post enough information to
allow people to fix their systems. This doesn't mean post cookbook recipes
for breaking in, but fixes to known problems and how to avoid them.

Also it put's vendors under much more pressure to fix problems expediently.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

mark@drd.UUCP (Mark Lawrence) (10/06/88)

Quoting something I've kept around and is now, again, apropo:

From: Robert Mathiesen <SL500000%BROWNVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      lockpicking

Apropos of Randy D. Miller's surprise that information on lockpicking is so
readily available, I cannot resist quoting Charles Tomlinson's Rudimentary
Treatise on the Construction of Locks, published about 140 years ago.  His
words are also relevant to much of the discussion on computer security which
has gone on in this Forum.

"A commercial, and in some respects a social, doubt has been started within the
 last year or two, whether or not it is right to discuss so openly the security
 or insecurity of locks.  Many well-meaning persons suppose that the discus-
 sion respecting the means for baffling the supposed safety of locks offers a
 premium for dishonesty, by showing others how to be dishonest.  This is a fal-
 lacy.  Rogues are very keen in their profession, and already know much more
 than we can teach them respecting their several kinds of roguery.  Rogues knew
 a good deal about lockpicking long before locksmiths discussed it among them-
 selves, as they have lately done.  If a lock -- let it have been made in what-
 ever country, or by whatever maker -- is not so inviolable as it has hitherto
 been deemed to be, surely it is in the interest of *honest* persons to know
 this fact, because the *dishonest* are tolerably certain to be the first to
 apply the knowledge practically; and the spread of knowledge is necessary to
 give fair play to those who might suffer by ignorance.  It cannot be too ear-
 nestly urged, that an acquaintance with real facts will, in the end, be better
 for all parties.  Some time ago, when the reading public was alarmed at being
 told how London milk is adulterated, timid persons deprecated the exposure, on
 the plea that it would give istructions in the art of adulterating milk; a
 vain fear -- milkmen knew all about it before, whether they practised it or
 not; and the exposure only taught purchasers the necessity of a little
 scrutiny and caution, leaving them to obey this necessity or not, as they
 pleased.  .....  The unscrupulous have the command of much of this kind of
 knowledge without our aid; and there is moral and commercial justice in plac-
 ing on their guard those who might possibly suffer therefrom.  We employ
 these stray expressions concerning adulteration, debasement, roguery, and so
 forth, simply as a mode of illustrating a principle -- the advantage of pub-
 licity.  In respect to lock-making, there can scarcely be such a thing as dis-
 honesty of intention: the inventor produces a lock which he honestly thinks
 will possess such and such qualities; and he declares his belief to the world.
 If others differ from him in opinion concerning those qualities, it is open
 to them to say so; and the discussion, truthfully conducted, must lead to
 public advantage: the discussion stimulates curiosity, and curiosity stimu-
 lates invention.  Nothing but a partial and limited view of the question
 could lead to the opinion that harm can result: if there be harm, it will be
 much more than counterbalanced by good."

The subsequent development of lockmaking in the course of the next 140 years
has long since demonstrated the correctness of  Tomlinson's argument in his
own field.  I do not doubt that it is equally applicable in the area of com-
puter security.

--
 DRD Corporation @ 5506 South Lewis  |  [uunet!apctrc,romed,tulsun]!drd!mark
 Tulsa, IT 74105      (918)743-3013  |       mlawrence@jarsun1.ZONE1.COM

yba@arrow.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) (10/06/88)

In article <307@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>Could we stop calling those people who break in "hackers"?  Let's not
>continue to support the public's gross misuse of that once-honorable
>appellation.

Strongly seconded.  Break-in artists are also called "crackers", but
this also has a few time-honored traditional meanings.  I don't know
what the appropriate forum is, but if one can be suggested, I think the
floor should be opened for nominations for "buzzword meaning intruder
which the media finds acceptably catchy".  Maybe ACM will adopt
dissemination of same as part of their public relations charter.

The appropriate choice should immediately imply a catchy phrase
to describe the intruder's opposite number in the security business.
Where to follow-up?

Eleazor bar Shimon, once and future Carolingian
yba@sabre.bellcore.com

dragon@trwspf.TRW.COM (Roger Vossler) (10/06/88)

*>
*
*Strongly seconded.  Break-in artists are also called "crackers", but
*this also has a few time-honored traditional meanings.  I don't know
*what the appropriate forum is, but if one can be suggested, I think the

The last time I checked, people who exhibit the behavior known as
"breaking and entering" were called "criminals". Since I was born
and raised in Florida, "crackers" is not approporiate. I still
maintain that "hacking" is an honorable activity.
--
Roger Vossler  BIX: rvossler
dragon@trwspf.trw.com

nate@mipos2.intel.com (Nate Hess) (10/06/88)

In article <307@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>Could we stop calling those people who break in "hackers"?  Let's not
>continue to support the public's gross misuse of that once-honorable
>appellation.

I agree.  As an alternative that I would like to see the media pick up
on, how about "cracker"?

--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

woodstock@sc.intel.com    ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|amd}!intelca!mipos3!nate

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/06/88)

There are numerous security bugs in /bin/cc, /bin/awk, /bin/login, and
/usr/lib/uucp/L.sys, to say nothing of /usr/lib/cpp.  There are also a
number of security loopholes in all UNIX kernels on all systems.  I
cannot tell you what these are, since this would allow people to break
into your system.

GET RID OF ALL THESE FILES!  Delete your kernel too; it's probably in
/unix or /vmunix or some similarly-named file.  If possible, just shut
your system down, or at least disable all logins.  Switch to VAX/VMS if
necessary (but keep it in stand-alone mode, you never know what users
might do if you let them log in).  Sorry, I just cannot afford to
explain further since this would seriously compromise the security of
every UNIX system anywhere.  Nor am I willing to give any answers by
email, since I can't be sure that you aren't just a nasty intruder
trying to get into my system.

P.S.  This is a joke.  Actually, not a joke, it's too pathetic to be
funny.  It's a little satire on these constantly-appearing suggestions
that are so vague as to be meaningless.  Not directed at any one
person.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

ziegler@lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) (10/07/88)

I'm tired of flames in my mailbox.  What I said was simply that
news postings and email are inappropriate places for discussing
security.  I DID NOT SAY THAT SUCH THINGS SHOULD NOT BE DISCUSSED
OPENLY.  There are three main problems that I see with discussing
such things via news or email:

	1) Not everyone who posts responses is knowledgeable
	   about computer security, including many of those
	   who think they are.  Some of the advice will be
	   wrong, and could lead to less security, not more.
	   It is not possible to police this, so your best
	   approach as a sysadmin is to ignore any security
	   advice from someone you don't know and trust.

	2) Such communications methods are not secure, and
	   correct information could be modified in transit
	   such that the recipient is not getting valid
	   advice, but is being misled.  See above.  This
	   applies even if you are mailing to root, as someone
	   suggested, so I don't recommend that approach.

	3) Not all sysadmins are competent, and certainly
	   not all of them read the net.  You have to weigh
	   the expected advantage of posting such information
	   against the expected disadvantage.  I'm afraid
	   that many more "crackers" than sysadmins will be
	   reading the net, and I quite frankly don't want
	   to give them ANY assistance whatsoever.  If I
	   felt that a net posting would prevent far more
	   breakins than it would cause, I would be all
	   for it.  At this particular point in time, I
	   believe just the opposite to be true.

I do not advocate, nor have I ever advocated, secrecy and ignorance
as a method of computer security.  I know that it doesn't work.  My
goal is to protect the innocent and avoid helping the guilty.  It
appears that my previous posting was in fact not "'Nuff said".  I
hope this is.  If you wish to discuss the philosophy of discussing
security with me, send me email, don't clog the net.  And don't
bother flaming me.  I won't answer.

			Joe Ziegler
			AT&T Bell Laboratories
			Lincroft, New Jersey
			(201) 576-2945
			att!lznv!ziegler

lkw@csun.edu (Larry Wake) (10/07/88)

The call has gone out to promote a new term for "the media" to use when
referring to system intruders.  Most of the traditional names have
various drawbacks:

hacker:     Besides being a once-honorable term for those who grind,
	    the general public already uses this word to refer to
	    golfers.  Even with their similar taste in clothes, it's
	    still easy to distinguish the two groups, as golf typically
	    involves spending at least brief periods of time outdoors.
	    Also, for silly plastic clothing accessories, golfers prefer
	    green plastic eyeshades to pocket protectors.

cracker:    Really only accurate if they're breaking into systems at the
	    Bank of Atlanta or BellSouth.

syscrack:   Bleah.  Do *you* really want to say this?  It's at least as
	    bad as "sysadmin" or "sysop."

asshole:    Satisfying, yes.  Accurate, yes.  But it won't get you
	    quoted in Newsweek or USA Today (aka "McPaper" or "My Daily
	    Reader").  If you're looking to get published in the latter
	    paper, you should instead provide a cute line drawing of a
	    stick figure with devil's horns placing a bundle of
	    dynamite sticks under a tape drive or a card sorter.

I'm holding out for "bad guy," a la Morris and Thompson.  It's accurate,
pithy, yet obscure enough to sound like real computeroid jargon.
--
Larry Wake                   		 lkw@csun.edu
CSUN Computer Center	       uucp:     {hplabs,rdlvax}!csun!lkw

jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) (10/08/88)

In article <2975@mipos3.intel.com> merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) writes:
>4.3bsd for example logs just the username to the console.  This would
>seem secure, but in all the times you have logged in, have you
>never-ever-ever because of network delays, or not paying attention,
>accidentally entered your password when it said "username"?  THAT'S
>THE PROBLEM.  Those that have looked into this have noticed that the
>"bad login" log almost always contains a valid password *in the clear*
>during any typical work day.

Maybe this is a little too simple minded, but why not just log failed
attempts to valid usernames?  This could even be kept online with universal
read permission, since there would be nothing to hide here.  Then, with
proper tools, a list of those usernames which have failures above a certain
threshold (maybe "1") could be identified as potential targets and could
be periodically mailed to the administrator.  Mail seems to be tougher to
ignore than a console log.
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack (UUCP)	jack%swlabs.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (10/10/88)

In article <2316@att.ATT.COM> jhc@att.ATT.COM (Jonathan Hawbrook-Clark) writes:
>In article <233@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>>Then why does your company have uucp logins without passwords?  I agree
>>with Jonathan (SA att-mt) that anyone could masquerade as anyone else,
>>but dammit!  Not without a valid password!
>
>The problem of having unique logins/passwords for each site boils
>down to one of key security. The security of having a key which is
>fairly widely known, held in cleartext, and never changed, is
>minimal. So we wouldn't trust it anyway.

As I have indicated in private mail to jhc, following the
discussion in comp.mail.uucp, the above argument is simply wrong.
If there are individual logins and passwords, then the key
is NOT "fairly widely known".  It exists in exactly ONE place,
namely the L.sys file of the uucp neighbour.  If the neighbour's
security is compromised, then the neighbour has to worry about
all kinds of things, of which the possibility of someone
calling att to pick up mail is pretty trivial.

So far the only argument I have heard from AT&T to justify
not having separate logins and passwords is that there would
be some administrative cost to setting this up.  Since it could
be assisted with shell scripts, and since "att" is THE gateway
into a giant organization, I do not consider this to be justification
for a policy which deliberately slows down the passage of uucp
traffic emanating from AT&T.

(The policy is the policy of not sending mail unless they call you.)

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
--
{ uunet!attcan  att  pyramid!utai  utzoo } !lsuc!dave

dave@galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley) (10/11/88)

In article <2985@mipos3.intel.com> woodstock@sc.intel.com (Nate Hess) writes:
>In article <307@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>>Could we stop calling those people who break in "hackers"?  Let's not
>>continue to support the public's gross misuse of that once-honorable
>>appellation.
>
>I agree.  As an alternative that I would like to see the media pick up
>on, how about "cracker"?

Why do we need to make up words to add to our already overburdened
language when there are many existing words that are perfectly
applicable for these people?  Instead of calling them "hackers", which
many of us regard as a title of some esteem, and instead of trying to
get the media to call them "crackers", which brings to mind someone that
is mentally unbalanced, how about choosing any of the words from the
following list:

criminal, hoodlum, thief, burgular, vandal, terrorist, etc.

Obviously, not all of the words apply in all cases.  For example, it is
stretching the point to call a teenager, who is just attempting to show
of to his or her friends and has no intention of causing harm to your
system or any of the information stored on your system, a terrorist.  On
the other hand, if you detect a break-in on your machine would you
assume that it was "just a kid" or would you assume that it was a
vandal/terrorist/industrial spy.  I know that I would assume the worst.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.zone1.com   ...!rayssd!galaxia!dave

nevin1@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Liber) (10/12/88)

And in the same article, he writes:

|	2) Such communications methods are not secure, and
|	   correct information could be modified in transit
|	   such that the recipient is not getting valid
|	   advice, but is being misled.

This sounds like a security problem.  Why did you post it to the net??
Aren't you going against your own advice??

Seems a bit ironic, doesn't it?
--
 _ __		NEVIN J. LIBER  ..!att!ihlpb!nevin1  (312) 979-4751  IH 4F-410
' )  )  "I catch him with a left hook. He eels over. It was a fluke, but there

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (10/13/88)

In article <2985@mipos3.intel.com>, nate@mipos2.intel.com (Nate Hess) writes:
> In article <307@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> >Could we stop calling those people who break in "hackers"?  Let's not
> >continue to support the public's gross misuse of that once-honorable
> >appellation.
> I agree.  As an alternative that I would like to see the media pick up
> on, how about "cracker"?

The real problem is that horrible little children read third-hand accounts
of someone's discovery of an interesting security flaw, breaks into someone's
computer with it, and brands themselves a "hacker" in the belief that they
somehow understand something.  The ``hackers'' stole the term away from those
who sought understanding (the original hackers), and they told the media their
self-chosen appellation.

I think the only solution is to choose a new name for Real Hackers.  How about
Roz Chast's suggestion of "Data Stylist"?
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

	Goooooood Morning Discovery!	-Robin Williams

	Abracadabra, 'press to MECO', America is back in space!

In article <1218@X.UUCP>, john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
> I think the only solution is to choose a new name for Real Hackers.  How about
> Roz Chast's suggestion of "Data Stylist"?

Wheel, wizard, guru, firefighter, cybernetic entomologist, language-lawyer,
and so on are all in use. Pick whichever one best fits your case, or use one
of the ones I forgot. I like guru myself.

But "Data Stylist"? That sounds like a bad joke from "Robotman".

	GURU MEDITATION #80000004.0001B304
--

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (10/17/88)

In article <1218@X.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
>In article <2985@mipos3.intel.com>, nate@mipos2.intel.com (Nate Hess) writes:
>> In article <307@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>> >Could we stop calling those people who break in "hackers"?  Let's not
>> >continue to support the public's gross misuse of that once-honorable
>> >appellation.

I agree, but...        (see below)

>somehow understand something.  The ``hackers'' stole the term away from those
>who sought understanding (the original hackers), and they told the media their
>self-chosen appellation.

I'm afraid that the term 'hackers' has gone the way of the term
'celophane'. To continue to fight it would be as futile as 3M continuing
to use Celophane as if it were a trademark.

>I think the only solution is to choose a new name for Real Hackers.  How about

I agree completely.

>Roz Chast's suggestion of "Data Stylist"?

Ugh!

Come on!!! Do you call a garbageman a 'Sanitation Engineer'? Ooops, not
a very good comparison. Its late, I can't think of a better one.

To make it in media you have to have short, simple, *non-elitist* labels.

Like Ham, Hacker (sorry), etc.

Before I went with Data Stylist, I would go for:

	Data Ham	(maybe with ARRL approval?)
	Bit Ham		(maybe with ARRL approval?)
	Data Spam	:-)
	Bit Spam	:-)
	{Data,Bit,} Munger
	Nerd		(sorry, but today it has better media connotations,
			 see various TV shows and movies)

I certainly don't know...
>John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101

>	Goooooood Morning Discovery!	-Robin Williams

Hey, yeah, good morning Robin! That astronaut (female) who was responsible
for the media, etc. and managed to think of, much less accomplish, the
idea of having Robin Williams call out good morning to the astronauts is
one *great* imaginative thinker.

I know, wrong newsgroup, but I can't resist:

HOORAY Discovery.

--
uucp:     {decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim        Jim Budler
internet: jim@eda.com                   EDA Systems, Inc.

todd@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd/Dr. Nethack) (10/23/88)

In article <1834@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>In article <1454@lznv.ATT.COM> ziegler@lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) writes:
>>Please, please, please!!  Anyone with knowledge enough to answer
>>this question, DO NOT POST IT TO THE NET!!!!  Electronic mail and
>>net postings are grossly inappropriate places to discuss security.
>
>Wrong Sir.
>Wrong sir..

I will disagree strongly with that..
There are many system admins. who have no time to spend reading the postings.

(I site this based on various experiences with educational institutions)

You will fuel the student hacker and his/her/its curiousity about what can
be done on their system.

The sysadmin, has no idea what has hit him..

And if the hacker is dangerous, or destructive.. that can be VERY bad for the
host system, and other systems that are connected to it.

Not many of the things I have seen!!

>And few of their kind will be helped.

This is something one should never offer to do under any circumstances.

>the more information, the better.
>You can't plug a hole you don't know...
>Nearly _all_ holes can be effectively defused IF you know they
>exist.

That is now down to the means of communicating the problems.. and I for one
think that posting of various holes and hacking techniques is not what needs
to be done.

You do want security don't you?

     --nethack
--
todd@jupiter.nmt.edu / nmtsun!todd  Dr. Nethack: Box 3693 c/s Socorro, Nm. 87801

todd@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd/Dr. Nethack) (10/23/88)

Hmm... lots of flames lately..

Are you sure you guys think that no passwd on uucp is the only way to keep
someone out?  ;-)

Maybe you should have a tiger team attack your machine, that could teach you
a bunch..

But all this useless drivel over uucp passwords and Joe is mildly stupid.

There are ways too many to count on how to get access..

If I were not such a nice guy about it, I could be in jail by now!!

I really don't think that mild arguements over where, will not lead to how
discussions..

People are curious about things.. (like cats)  It will come up.. and it
should not be posted.. it needs to be handled in E-mail!!

     --nethack
--
todd@jupiter.nmt.edu / nmtsun!todd  Dr. Nethack: Box 3693 c/s Socorro, Nm. 87801

dpw@unisec.usi.com (Darryl P. Wagoner) (10/23/88)

In article <1325@nmtsun.nmt.edu> todd@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd/Dr. Nethack) writes:
>In article <1834@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>In article <1454@lznv.ATT.COM> ziegler@lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) writes:
>
>I will disagree strongly with that..
>There are many system admins. who have no time to spend reading the postings.

>(I site this based on various experiences with educational institutions)

>You will fuel the student hacker and his/her/its curiousity about what can
>be done on their system.

This assumes that NO ONE at that site is going to find out the hole and
expose it.  We all know what assuming will do.  This, if anything is a
false sense of security.  IF no one will post holes to the net so I don't
need to waste my time to find out and fix them either. I am perfectly safe
as long as no one posts a hole I don't know about.  If you believe this
I have a bridge in SF that makes a mint in tolls that I need to get ride
for tax reason. :-)

The problem with this logic (besides being wrong) is that it will keep
the systems admins in the dark while the crackers pass around the holes
that they have found in the system.

--
Darryl Wagoner		dpw@unisec.usi.com
UniSecure Systems, Inc.; 			OS/2, Just say No!
Round Rock,  Tx; (512)-255-8751 (home) (512)-823-3774
UUCP:  {ut-sally!uiucuxc!kitty}!unisec!dpw

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul Anderson) (10/24/88)

In article <1146@unisec.usi.com> dpw@unisec.USI.COM (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:
 ... about not discussing holes ...
>The problem with this logic (besides being wrong) is that it will keep
>the systems admins in the dark while the crackers pass around the holes
>that they have found in the system.

I second that.  I remember my undergrad collegiate underground days-  I often
taught our admins at RPI about security.  I regularly encouraged attacks
on the mainframe and funny-$ for those who succeeded.  And on Monday
mornings I would walk into the Computing Services office and let them
know where the holes were so that they could get plugged.  They'd be
mad as hell and indignant, because the felt that security-by-ignorance
was valid security.  I was regularly proving them wrong:  and giving them
a tighter system.

It would have been just as easy not to say anything- and have open
access to anything I wanted.  Because nothing would have been
said, the Computing Services dept would have thought their system secure.

Ignorance is no defence.  All effective assaults on security systems are
due to holes 'in the system': operator shortcuts, coding bugs, hardware
faults.   We are bright people.  We are taught to be innovative and
have a never-say-die attitude.  SO, what's gonna stop someone from breaking
in?  Only the possibility of teaching new sysadmins to cover as many
HW and SW holes as possible.

Funny thing about telecommunications:  everything travels fast- even stuff
the government doesn't want us to know...   :-)

paul
--
Paul Anderson                                         gatech!stiatl!pda
Sales Technologies, Inc

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (10/25/88)

There are two purposes to this follow-up.  First my apologies for not
posting the promised summary.  I have it, but it's at my home site in
Texas and I am in California on assignment.  I will post it as soon as
I get back.

Second, I see two threads in the discussion.  One says "gosh, let's not
talk about it" and the other (with which I agree) says "we'd better talk
about it or we're going to get ugly surprises".

I have some experience as an intruder.  I was specifically assigned, by my
(a previous) employer, to crack security in the data center.  This was a
large IBM mainframe shop, so the analogy isn't perfect.  The first thing
we did was to copy all of the company's financial and personnel files to
tape.  They were all very carefully password and date protected.  I used
an IBM utility, iebcopy, which knew nothing of the protection schemes and
proceeded without any intervention by the security imposed.  Having saved
and verified the copy, I then proceeded to overwrite those data sets with
sarcastic remarks about the security.  The correct data were restored when
the first howls were heard the following morning.

The security people were, of course, furious but the simple fact was that
the data were compromised and there wasn't a thing they could do about it.
Ironically, security within the company was pretty strict, but a vandal
logged in from TSO could have shredded us.  I was also able to anger the
security people with an attache case filled with bricks.  I went by that
big pretty window that showed off the mainframe and threw in the case with
a sheet of greenbar paper taped to the side inscribed "BOMB".  After it
shattered the glass it skidded across the floor and came to rest beneath
the system console where it "detonated".

Those are two examples taken from real life in a Fortune 100 company who
lives and dies by its computing center.  Moving back to our own world for
a moment...  My site has had a malicious intruder, one of my news/mail
neighbors has too.  I fear that my neighbor got cracked because my own
security was lax.  I don't think this can be overdiscussed.  I don't think
we need to publish technique ("here's how I got past cron"), but we can
share common sense ideas, experience, and general precautions to keep out
the `tourists'.  An accomplished vandal *will* penetrate and vandalize your
system unless you have it physically secure (which means no phone lines).
It's a fact, let's accept that.  I want to explore those things we can do
to deter the amateur or journeyman jerk.

In (merciful) conclusion, I noticed a leak at my site.  My Telebit modems
were set up to force DCD high regardless of carrier presence.  This was
OK for uucp and other things that terminate normally, but if I was logged
in from here (worse, shudder, in su'd to root) and just took a disconnect
then the next thing to call that line picked up where I left off.  The
modem did the right thing but the SIGHUP never got through so the process
just lived on.  What now?  I have my modems make DCD follow `real' carrier
detect and suffer the inconveniences setting them up.
--

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (10/27/88)

In article <170@carpet.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
...I was also able to anger the
...security people with an attache case filled with bricks.  I went by that
...big pretty window that showed off the mainframe and threw in the case with
...a sheet of greenbar paper taped to the side inscribed "BOMB".  After it
...shattered the glass it skidded across the floor and came to rest beneath
...the system console where it "detonated".

Was that window facing the outside world?  Did you have to pay for it?
--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (10/31/88)

In article <363@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <170@carpet.WLK.COM> I wrote:
[ I broke the data center window, description deleted ]

>Was that window facing the outside world?  Did you have to pay for it?

No, the window faced inside to a courtyard and the building access was
limited to badge carrying employees.  Also no, I didn't have to pay for
it.  I fear I may have obscured my own point.

I don't think that there is anything that can secure a computer site from
an accomplished and determined vandal (I call them renegade programmers).
Further, physical security is just as important as any other kind.  Some
would say it's more important.

A large part of security (in my opinion) is plain old common sense.  That's
why I told the window breaking tale.  Companies like to show off their
frammis-mongo data centers with big windows, etc.  A disgruntled employee
(not yet terminated) or neo-terrorist could mortally wound such a firm by
tossing something through the window as I did (as part of an *assigned* duty).

Recently the GAO criticized the U.S. Air Force and Lockheed Missles & Space
Company for poor security at the "Blue Cube" (a satellite control center).
They said that any terrorist with a hand grenade could disable it.  That was
true as recently as last Thurday as I drove by it unless there's something
new in that big air chute.

I'll not consume much more bandwidth with this but there has been a meddler
messing with the nuucp log in on this system.  Sure, they get dropped into
uucico and have to figure out what to do with that, but it still makes me
nervous (I wish I worked for the phone company and could ANI the jerk!). OK,
so in a week or less the no password nuucp account will be history, it would
be sooner if I could be sure that all the legitimate neighbors had their new
ID's and passwords.  It's no fun having a complicated log in procedure.  If
I had a big fancy computer it would be no fun putting it in a fortress.  But
I'll conclude with a decent analogy.  Look around at your telephone company
offices that contain switching equipment.  See any windows?  See any frame
(wood) construction?  Nope, they are as physically secure as practical.
--

todd@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd/Dr. Nethack) (11/06/88)

>...I was also able to anger the
>...security people with an attache case filled with bricks.  I went by that
>...big pretty window that showed off the mainframe and threw in the case with

On an un-named campus in California, I kept trying to convince the sysadmins to
move or barricade a window (behind which sits a Vax 11-785 and the admin. IBM)

They did not think it was any big deal.. also when they challenged me saying
no one could break the security on the IBM, (since its so tight, DOD uses the
same stuff.. etc)

I told them, the easiest thing to do would be to tap the dialups (yes there are
dialups on there grading/bookeeping mainframe) and wait for the Operator,
we'll call him "Joe" to log in from his pc at home.. which he does all the time.

Needless to say, they just insisted that nobody else would be smart enough to
do such a thing.. (instead of locking or moving the MC-10 outside the building).

They recently decided to network their Unix lab, to the Vax, and the Vax is
already hooked (via a "secure" link) to the IBM.. and the Unix lab security?

Call it nearly equal to /dev/null.

My favorite idea was to make a tesla coil and walk up to the window and zap
the brains out of the Vax.. alternately and cheaper.. is the "hit and run"

Arson, or a firearm of somekind would turn that nice machine into so much
sheet metal..

You were lucky that they still liked you after that "bomb" trick..

I had people convinced all I wanted to do was break into the computers, instead
of provided viable answers to possible future problems..

There is one person there that still listens to me.. (we'll call him "Ed")

Ed is still in contact with me on how to fix/secure various things..

Too bad his operators are power hungry paranoid facists!!

Anyway.. back to work..

     --nethack
--
todd@jupiter.nmt.edu / nmtsun!todd  Dr. Nethack: Box 3693 c/s Socorro, Nm. 87801

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (11/12/88)

In article  <1386@nmtsun.nmt.edu>  todd@nmtsun.nmt.edu  (Todd/Dr.
Nethack) writes:
[...]

My friend was more subtle:  he left a brick on the person's desk with
a paper wrapping saying "This could have been a bomb".  The desk was
in a very secure area.  {My friend was with Army Intelligence and the
place was a contractor's facility}.

Someone else was asked to penertrate an installation one time and
evehtually told his boss he had.  He turned over copies of the master
tapes for the computer center.

At Rocketdyne my secretary got locked out of her safes.   Someone
exchanged the pad locks while they were open.  Of course the person
was an attractive male who flirted with her.  But even so ....

Sometimes concrete proof is the only way to convince people.

'Nuff said.

--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com