[news.sysadmin] Discretion is the better part of valor.

olsen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Jim Olsen) (11/08/88)

>From the Sunday New York Times (page 1):
>"[Robert Morris] quickly recognized that things had gone terribly wrong
>and, they disclosed, he arranged for a friend to send out instructions
>on eradicating the virus to the same computers plagued by the virus."

Has anyone identified this alleged eradication message?  I checked our
USENET logs at the time and found no such message.  I only saw partial
reports and patches, later refined as the worm was more fully analyzed.

Where did this "friend" supposedly post the message?

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) (11/09/88)

In article <1151@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu (Jim Olsen) writes:
>>From the Sunday New York Times (page 1):
>>"[Robert Morris] quickly recognized that things had gone terribly wrong
>>and, they disclosed, he arranged for a friend to send out instructions
>>on eradicating the virus to the same computers plagued by the virus."
>
>Has anyone identified this alleged eradication message?

Look in comp.protocols.tcp-ip for a message from "foo@bar" (I don't
remember what domain it is in :-).  It was vague and had a signed
follow up message.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607

rodgers@cca.ucsf.edu (Rick Rodgers) (11/11/88)

In article <2311@datapg.MN.ORG> sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) writes:
>In article <1151@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu (Jim Olsen) writes:
>>>From the Sunday New York Times (page 1):
>>>"[Robert Morris] quickly recognized that things had gone terribly wrong
>>>and, they disclosed, he arranged for a friend to send out instructions
>>>on eradicating the virus to the same computers plagued by the virus."
>>
>>Has anyone identified this alleged eradication message?

There was an article inside the Wall St. Journal several days ago which
described this process, and named the friend.  I still believe that
delegating such a task is a major misjudgment.

--
R. P. C. Rodgers, Statistical Mechanics of Biomolecules, Dept. of Pharm. Chem.,
University of California, San Francisco CA 94118  (415)476-8910

chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (11/16/88)

In article <1151@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu (Jim Olsen) writes:
>>From the Sunday New York Times (page 1):
>>"[Robert Morris] quickly recognized that things had gone terribly wrong
>>and, they disclosed, he arranged for a friend to send out instructions
>>on eradicating the virus to the same computers plagued by the virus."
>
>Has anyone identified this alleged eradication message?  I checked our
>USENET logs at the time and found no such message.  I only saw partial
>reports and patches, later refined as the worm was more fully analyzed.
>
>Where did this "friend" supposedly post the message?

First Message:
% From: foo@bar.arpa
% Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip
% Subject: (none)
% Date: 3 Nov 88 08:34:13 GMT
% Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
%
% A Possible virus report:
%
% There may be a virus loose on the internet.
%
% Here is the gist of a message Igot:
%
% I'm sorry.
%
% Here are some steps to prevent further transmission:
%
% 1) don't run fingerd, or fix it to not overrun its stack when reading
% arguments.
%
% 2) recompile sendmail w/o DEBUG defined
%
% 3) don't run rexecd
%
% Hope this helps, but more, I hope it is a hoax.
% qui
%

Second Message:
% From: sudduth@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU
% Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip
% Subject: tracking anonymous messages
% Date: 5 Nov 88 21:32:25 GMT
% Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
%
%
% If anyone cares who sent the anonymous message from foo@bar.arpa through
% isis.brown.edu,  I did it.  The machine influenza.harvard.edu is an
% annex terminal server.  At the time I didn't want to answer questions
% about how I knew.
%
% Andy Sudduth
%

--
C. Harald Koch		NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca, chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, chk@chk.mef.unicus.com