[news.sysadmin] A Question Of Ethics

scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) (11/08/88)

In article <1294@tmpmbx.UUCP> pengo@tmpmbx.UUCP (Hans H. Huebner) writes:
>Maybe you should better thank this guy as well, since he revealed some
>nasty bugs in widespread operating systems.  He SURELY showed everyone that
>computer systems are not secure, and that security IS a thing one has to be
>aware of.  Just imagine what would have happened if the worm/virus had
>contained some nasty code to destroy files or the like.  The sendmail bug
>certainly gave the worm access rights to destroy mail and eventually other
>vital system information.
>
>Let's be happy that it is over, and that the Internet is now more secure.

Let's not.  Suppose you found a security hole that would let you assasinate
the president.  Should you:
  (a) Tell the secret service, -- or --
  (b) Take a toy gun and take advantage of the hole?
If you chose (b), don't be surprised if the secret service gives you a
sudden case of lead poisoning.

The ethical thing to do would have been to inform the local sysadm
of the hole, and get the patch out as has been done in other recent
(non-worm) cases.  Instead this guy chose to keep his knowledge a
secret and "play" with it.  He's as culpable as if he'd accidently
dropped a vial full of smallpox bacteria in a public place.

--
Steve Simmons		...!umix!itivax!scs
Industrial Technology Institute, Ann Arbor, MI.

klm@cme-durer.ARPA (Ken Manheimer) (11/09/88)

In article <367@itivax.UUCP> scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) writes:
>In article <1294@tmpmbx.UUCP> pengo@tmpmbx.UUCP (Hans H. Huebner) writes:
>> [...]
>>Let's be happy that it is over, and that the Internet is now more secure.
>
>Let's not.  Suppose you found a security hole that would let you assasinate
> [...]
>
>The ethical thing to do would have been to inform the local sysadm
>of the hole, and get the patch out as has been done in other recent
>(non-worm) cases.  Instead this guy chose to keep his knowledge a
>secret and "play" with it.

No no no no no no no.

Ethical thing to do??  Is it not relevant to ethical considerations
that you take some sort of effective counteraction?  Inform the local
sysadm of the hole??  And what if the local sysadm already knew about
the hole, and said "Yeah, if you invoke help in sendmail's interpreted
mode it talks about this debug option - don't worry so much, everybody
knows about it, and nothing bad has happened."

And then even if something was posted about it, what portion of the
sys-admin concerned computer population do you think such a portion
would reach, and what portion of them do you think would take action?
These are, for the most part, not unknown bugs we're talking about,
hey?

There is enourmous investment in computing business/operating system
development to just try to keep up with, and attempt to tame, the
problems that bite you.  The costs of less immediate threats, like
"obscure" security holes, are abstract enough to make plans to fix
them fall through the cracks.  If you don't agree, consider (as people
have mentioned repeatedly) that the flaws the worm exploited are
generally acknowledged to not be new or particularly abstruse bugs -
the potential application of the sendmail debug option is relatively
obvious, if you happen to be aware of its existence.  They are
(hopefully 'were') entrenched bugs, with concerns about fixing them
outweighed by the endorsement of their presence in "all the other
versions and incarnations" of bsd operating systems.  "If the
(other) companies don't care about them, why should i?"

Then along comes someone who gets the bugs on the front page of most
newspapers.  This is no mean feat.  Resolving these bugs, which
someone should have invested time to do already, becomes the chore of
(very) numerous sys admins around the net, and everyone gets some
public egg on their faces for not having taken care of the problem
previously.

However, the way it happened had all the earmarks of a great adventure
with a happy ending - the shock and challenge of an unknown invader,
mustering of defensive forces ("disease control" in various computing
centers), recovery of atrophied lines of communication, contributions
of individual heroes on the front lines, sweat, diagnosis, and
solution of the problem, tracking (and discovery!) of the mysterious
culprit, and controversy, lots of controversy.  People were mobilized
and had the opportunity to meet with success.  That's good.  I think
the general public got the impression of a victory of the mythical
computer wizards over a ferocious dragon, rather than the defense of
concerned computer hackers over another hacker's heavy (and
proliferous) but entirely toothless worm.  And that impression is not
too bad to have around, either.

As far as i'm concerned, the real danger right now concerns finding a
balanced response to the situation - obviously the climate regarding
system security is going to change.  If not enough effort is invested,
the copycat hacks that we'll be seeing (very soon now) will outstrip
the improvements, get through, and some significant portion of them
won't be so benign as our promiscuous little worm...  On the other
hand, if administration becomes reactionary in their attitude towards
the network and takes a facist, "curtail-access" attitude, then we're
all going to see our work become more difficult, and, for that matter,
less enjoyable.

I have heard hints that the R Morris intended for the worm to make its
journey and go away, leaving only definite evidence that it had been
everywhere, so he could then say "see what's possible?"  I would bet
that if he had accomplished this the story would not have made the
front pages of the New York Times or the Washington Post, and fewer
sysAdmin's supervisors would be on their sysAdmin's backs.  I suppose
this would be preferable from at least the sysAdmin's perspectives,
and the shock would be sufficient to get some action (and avoid
administrative fascism), anyway.  Still, i feel that the mobilization
and eventual kudos effected to meet the challenge of an overt and
active intruder to our cozy world is the best attitude to start to get
out of our collective complacency.

>Steve Simmons		...!umix!itivax!scs
>Industrial Technology Institute, Ann Arbor, MI.
>"You can't get here from here."

Ken Manheimer		 	klm@cme.nbs.gov or ..!uunet!cme-durer!klm
(Formerly "National Bureau of Standards")
Factory Automation Systems, Software Support

	     These are not a sentence, these are pixels.

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (11/09/88)

Steve C. Simmons writes:
>The ethical thing to do would have been to inform the local sysadm
>of the hole, and get the patch out as has been done in other recent
>(non-worm) cases.  Instead this guy chose to keep his knowledge a
>secret and "play" with it.  He's as culpable as if he'd accidently
>dropped a vial full of smallpox bacteria in a public place.

analogies aside, what's your opinion of people who now claim to have
known about the bugs for years?

	peter

scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) (11/10/88)

In article <777@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (peter honeyman) writes:
>analogies aside, what's your opinion of people who now claim to have
>known about the bugs for years?
>	peter

Low, but I'm willing to judge on a case by case basis :-).  If someone
has known for years and made good faith effort to inform the responsible
parties both on the vendor and user side, one can ask for no more.
--

In article <709@stylus.cme-durer.ARPA> klm@stylus (Ken Manheimer) writes:
>In article <367@itivax.UUCP> scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) writes:
>>The ethical thing to do would have been to inform the local sysadm
>>of the hole, and get the patch out as has been done in other recent
>>(non-worm) cases.  Instead this guy chose to keep his knowledge a
>>secret and "play" with it.
>
>No no no no no no no.
>
>Ethical thing to do??  Is it not relevant to ethical considerations
>that you take some sort of effective counteraction?  Inform the local
>sysadm of the hole??  And what if the local sysadm already knew about
>the hole, and said "Yeah, if you invoke help in sendmail's interpreted
>mode it talks about this debug option - don't worry so much, everybody
>knows about it, and nothing bad has happened."
>[[and goes on to an excellent discussion]]

The arguement you make is a general ethical one, and has merit.  But
this isn't talk.philosophy (yeah, I know I started the thread :-)).
If we grant Morris the best of motives ("see how easy I did X?"), it
feels very much like someone who, in order to show his local fire
department is worthless, starts a "safe" fire.  Unfortunately it gets
out of hand and burns his whole house down.

Yes, when the authorities will not allow time/money/resources to do the
security fixes the guy who knows of the hole is in a tough spot.  Two
wrongs, tho, don't make it right.

As for the folks who claim we're all better off because of this, I'm
curious.  What fixes have come forward since the worm *but not related
to it*?  None that I've seen.  Folks are suddenly a lot more security
conscious in general but are applying fixes only on this relatively
narrow point.  I'd say that we've had only a narrow improvement so far.
--

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (11/12/88)

In article <372@itivax.UUCP>, scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) writes:
> As for the folks who claim we're all better off because of this, I'm
> curious.  What fixes have come forward since the worm *but not related
> to it*?  None that I've seen.  Folks are suddenly a lot more security
> conscious in general but are applying fixes only on this relatively
> narrow point.  I'd say that we've had only a narrow improvement so far.

That's because all the people who know of existing bugs still don't want to
openly publish any bug fixes because Something Bad Might Happen.  That's
because they just don't learn.  Something bad will happen, again and again and
again, and they'll just say "I knew of that bug years ago, so I haven't
learned anything new."

Everyone who wants to strangle the wormer raise your right hand.
Everyone who knew about these bugs but didn't openly publish fixes for them
raise your left hand.
Everyone holding both hands up:  please place them around your own neck and
throttle yourself.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

	The preceeding is the official opinion
	of the management of radio station WB7EEL.

mak@ndc.UUCP (Mike Klaus) (11/16/88)

In article <367@itivax.UUCP>, scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) writes:
> Let's not.  Suppose you found a security hole that would let you assasinate
> the president.  Should you:
>   (a) Tell the secret service,

Dumb idea.  You would have to answer too many questions.  like,
"Why were you thinking about this?"
"How did you find out?"
"You aren't supposed to know that.  Who told you?"
"When were you planning to do this?"
"We don't believe you."
"We can't have you knowing this...."
"You have broken several laws already.  Come with us....."

					mak

  "We're above the law.  We can do anything to you that we want.  Take the
   pills, or we'll give you a shot...." - the thought police