[news.sysadmin] "Morris did it"--the new excuse?

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/13/88)

In article <1570@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu>, deke@valhalla (Dikran Kassabian) writes:
>Consider some of the less obvious consequences of his actions.

OK.

>Scientists and researchers at a university like mine were unable to use
>their computers and network links during the virus attack, and lost
>valuable time.  As always, some were up against deadlines and may well
>be hindered now in their chances for getting results before a confer-
>ence, or in getting a grant proposal out before deadlines.

When I've taught courses that use computers, I told students that under
almost all circumstances, computer downtime would not be an excuse for
lateness.  The one exception I've ever made involved granting everyone
a week's extension.  I've never worked assuming that the machines I use
are 100% reliable.  Do the scientists/researchers at your site do so--
even on critical stuff?  If someone has a grant proposal riding on get-
ting something done by a certain deadline, what happens if there's a
major disk crash at your site?

>The medical center/teaching hospital at my university is also network
>connected.  What if the network overload caused patient monitoring systems
>there to be sluggish and inadequate?  Would that be OK because Mr. Morris
>"did not do it on purpose"?  As it turns out, this was not a problem here,
>but it's not out of the question... it could have happened somewhere.

Are you saying that the patients at your university are in possible trouble
on days when the ARPANET is slow?  That if a machine crashes unexpectedly
that patients have nothing to rely on but prayer?  I find it frightening
that hospitals exist which have perhaps decided to rely heavily on some
computers working according to a perfect schedule.  Don't you?

Hospitals generally have a backup power supply.  For a very good reason.

>This is serious business!

Yes this is *all* serious business.  Computers used primarily for USENET
or hack or what-not can be dead for awhile and merely inconvenience lots
of people.  But now you cite computers where users cannot afford to have
computers to be down for long--do the sites that run them without having
any contingency plans whatsoever?  Such sites are irresponsible.

I find it remarkable that in such a computer-literate group that we all
supposedly represent, and thus all know that "the computer did it" is NOT
an acceptable excuse, that anyone, let alone the apparent horders here,
would quickly adopt "the worm did it".

What is the difference between:

	I'm sorry, Mrs Brown, your husband died because of a
	computer power failure.

and

	I'm sorry, Mrs Brown, your husband died because the
	Morris worm knocked out our computers.

?  To Mrs Brown, I would expect none whatsoever.

And you seem to be implying that the latter is to be blamed solely on RTM;
I believe the hospital that would or should be held culpable in the first
case is just as negligent in the latter, and should not be allowed to pass
the responsibility buck.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

hbo@sbphy.ucsb.edu (Howard B. Owen) (11/14/88)

In article <16915@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu
(Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes...

>   ...             I've never worked assuming that the machines I use
>are 100% reliable.  Do the scientists/researchers at your site do so--
>even on critical stuff?   ...

   Scientists at my site know that computers and networks go up and down.
Nevertheless, they tend to depend on both to get their work done. One group
here does a lot of montecarlo type work. They use Cray time at SDSC. If the
internet link is down, their work stops. Without supercomputers, and the
high speed networks to connect them, a lot of physics research simply wouldn't
happen. It doesn't matter that computers aren't 100% reliable; they are the only
tool for the job.

   While I agree with the idea that tool reliability should be carefully
considered when undertaking a job, I don't think failure to do so contributed
greatly to the damage done by the recent unpleasantness. The blame for lost
computer time and disrupted research lies not with unreasonable expectations
on the part of users, but with the originator of the worm.

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/14/88)

In article <978@hub.ucsb.edu>, hbo@sbphy (Howard B. Owen) writes:
>   Scientists at my site know that computers and networks go up and
>down.  Nevertheless, they tend to depend on both to get their work
>done. One group here does a lot of montecarlo type work. They use Cray
>time at SDSC. If the internet link is down, their work stops.

So the work stops.  Is this something that happens once every four
years?  No.  So I don't understand why you bring this up.

>							       Without
>supercomputers, and the high speed networks to connect them, a lot of
>physics research simply wouldn't happen. It doesn't matter that
>computers aren't 100% reliable; they are the only tool for the job.

Again, what's your point?

>   While I agree with the idea that tool reliability should be
>carefully considered when undertaking a job, I don't think failure to
>do so contributed greatly to the damage done by the recent
>unpleasantness. The blame for lost computer time and disrupted research
>lies not with unreasonable expectations on the part of users, but with
>the originator of the worm.

Again, what's your point?  From the user's point of view, it's always
one reason or another why the computers/networks are not available a
certain XX% of the time.  Every time they go down, do your users hunt
around for "whom" to blame?

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

deke@socrates.ee.rochester.edu (Dikran Kassabian) (11/15/88)

In article <16915@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu
	(Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>In article <1570@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu>, deke@ee.rochester.edu writes:
>>Scientists and researchers at a university like mine were unable to use
>>their computers and network links during the virus attack, and lost
>>valuable time.  As always, some were up against deadlines and may well
>>be hindered now in their chances for getting results before a confer-
>>ence, or in getting a grant proposal out before deadlines.
>
>If someone has a grant proposal riding on get-
>ting something done by a certain deadline, what happens if there's a
>major disk crash at your site?

We restore it onto a machine with a good disk and work goes on.  The
advantage of a nice, big, distributed computing environment. The fact that
we have lots of computers and near perpetual, automated backups allows our
users to be reasonably certain that at least some compute facilities will be
available to them.  But that has nothing to do with it.

>>The medical center/teaching hospital at my university is also network
>>connected.  What if the network overload caused patient monitoring systems
>>there to be sluggish and inadequate?  Would that be OK because Mr. Morris
>>"did not do it on purpose"?  As it turns out, this was not a problem here,
>>but it's not out of the question... it could have happened somewhere.
>
>I find it frightening
>that hospitals exist which have perhaps decided to rely heavily on some
>computers working according to a perfect schedule.  Don't you?

I would find it frightening if it were the case.  It was not, as I pointed
out... but you didn't pay attention.  My point was, and is, this little gift
from Mr. Morris Jr. cannot be considered completely benign unless it was
known in advance that it could cause no real harm.  He couldn't have known
that.  Neither could you, and neither could anyone else.

>ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

      ^Deke Kassabian,   deke@ee.rochester.edu   or   ur-valhalla!deke
   Univ of Rochester, Dept of EE, Rochester, NY 14627     (+1 716-275-3106)

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/15/88)

In article <1585@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu>, deke@socrates (Dikran Kassabian) writes:

>We restore it onto a machine with a good disk and work goes on.  The
>advantage of a nice, big, distributed computing environment. The fact
>that we have lots of computers and near perpetual, automated backups
>allows our users to be reasonably certain that at least some compute
>facilities will be available to them.  But that has nothing to do with
>it.

So let's choose a different example--I simply don't know your site's capa-
bilities in case of hardware problems.  Does it, for example, power down
during major electrical storms?  If a big snowstorm hits, and none of the
sysadmins could make it, can you still function?

I read in the paper about a researcher complaining that thanks to the big
bad Morris worm, he was unable to carry out a critical transfer of files
from one machine to another: his sysadmin was too busy that day because
of the worm.  My only reaction was what an incompetent bozo: is this re-
searcher just as non-functioning when his sysadmin calls in sick?

>>>The medical center/teaching hospital at my university is also network
>>>connected.  What if the network overload caused patient monitoring systems
>>>there to be sluggish and inadequate?

>>I find it frightening that hospitals exist which have perhaps decided
>>to rely heavily on some computers working according to a perfect schedule.

>I would find it frightening if it were the case.  It was not, as I pointed
>out... but you didn't pay attention.

I assumed you brought it up because it was relevant.  If it wasn't relevant,
then what's the point?

By the way, since you seem so intent to "prove" that what Morris did was
"wrong" based on the particular consequences, may I conclude that a non-
violent version of the worm would be OK in your eyes?  If not, why not?

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/15/88)

In article <1585@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu>, deke@socrates (Dikran Kassabian) writes:

>We restore it onto a machine with a good disk and work goes on.  The
>advantage of a nice, big, distributed computing environment. The fact
>that we have lots of computers and near perpetual, automated backups
>allows our users to be reasonably certain that at least some compute
>facilities will be available to them.  But that has nothing to do with
>it.

So let's choose a different example--I simply don't know your site's capa-
bilities in case of hardware problems.  Does it, for example, power down
during major electrical storms?  If a big snowstorm hits, and none of the
sysadmins could make it, can you still function?

I read in the paper about a researcher complaining that thanks to the big
bad Morris worm, he was unable to carry out a critical transfer of files
from one machine to another: his sysadmin was too busy that day because
of the worm.  My only reaction was what an incompetent bozo: is this re-
searcher just as non-functioning when his sysadmin calls in sick?

>>>The medical center/teaching hospital at my university is also network
>>>connected.  What if the network overload caused patient monitoring
>>>systems there to be sluggish and inadequate?

>>I find it frightening that hospitals exist which have perhaps decided
>>to rely heavily on some computers working according to a perfect schedule.

>I would find it frightening if it were the case.  It was not, as I
>pointed out... but you didn't pay attention.

Don't be a stupid nit.  Read what I wrote.  YOU brought up an example,
real or imaginary; I then discussed the example.  I never said anything
about your site beyond what you said.

By the way, since you seem willing to conclude that what Morris did was
"wrong" based on the consequences you enumerate, may I conclude that a
non-violent version of the worm would be "right" in your eyes?  If not,
why not?

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (11/15/88)

In article <16965@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu
 (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
> Again, what's your point?  From the user's point of view, it's always
> one reason or another why the computers/networks are not available a
> certain XX% of the time.  Every time they go down, do your users hunt
> around for "whom" to blame?
>
> ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

Yes, at some sites they do.  In our university environment I have heard users
complain because we take the machine down once a week to perform file system
backups.  You have to remember that computer centers live and work in a
political envrionment, as well as a technical one. I don't know about the
systems you use, but here, every CPU cycle is precious, and there are several
different users competing for it.  If they think even ONE cycle is wasted they
will bring it to our attention.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

In article <17025@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> An Obnoxious Math Grad Student writes:
>Don't be a stupid nit.  Read what I wrote.  YOU brought up an example,
>real or imaginary; I then discussed the example.  I never said anything
>about your site beyond what you said.

Name calling?  Really now.

I'll try not to be such a stupid nit, if you try not to be such a wiener.
The point I wanted to make can be seen below and in at least 3 other postings.
I brought up an illustrative example.  You latched onto it and turned away
from the topic.  Why is it that I'm not surprised?

>By the way, since you seem willing to conclude that what Morris did was
>"wrong" based on the consequences you enumerate, may I conclude that a
>non-violent version of the worm would be "right" in your eyes?  If not,
>why not?

Because, my dear weemba, (for the fourth and hopefully final time),
	[[ HERE IS MY POINT, DOES IT LOOK FAMILIAR?? ]]
the author cold not have known what was and was not "violent".  For this
reason your question is pointless.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (11/16/88)

In <17025@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:
>I read in the paper about a researcher complaining that thanks to the big
>bad Morris worm, he was unable to carry out a critical transfer of files
>from one machine to another: his sysadmin was too busy that day because
>of the worm.  My only reaction was what an incompetent bozo: is this re-
>searcher just as non-functioning when his sysadmin calls in sick?

You're suffering from what Alvin Toffler would call failure of imagination,
or what others might call ignorance.
			    ==A=R=P=A=N=E=T==

			       [ gateway ]
				|	|
				|	|
     =C=O=R=P=O=R=A=T=E===E=N=E=T=	=C=R=O=N=U=S===E=N=E=T=
	       |				|
	   citron.bbn.com			papaya.bbn.com
Both citron and papaya are Cronus machines.  When BBN shut down the
gateway Thursday morning to avoid further contamination I was unable to
do some work I wanted to do.

There's another possibility: you just assumed that the researcher
understood what was going on and the mass media reported the technical
story correct.  Or you just took the opportunity to express obnoxiousness
at the slightest cause.

You've made some good points, but they're getting drowned in the screed.
You'd be more effective if you toned down both the tenor and the volume.
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (11/16/88)

In article <17088@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu
 (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
> Of course, if anyone points out to any of these users what shitty pro-
> grammers they are, and what a waste of CPU cycles their programs really
> are--and yes, a lot of genuine nonsense goes on in the world of research
> --well, hell, that's too bad.  As you said: politics.
>
> [description of program optimization deleted]
>
> Now the above is an extreme, but it illustrates a very very common at-
> titude among researchers when it comes to computers: "why think?".  I
> have seen it over and over and over again.  CPU cycles are wasted with
> abandon in the name of research.
>
> So I'm usually unimpressed with people who complain about lost CPU time
> due to downtime.  Not that knowing the truth would ever help when it comes
> to harassed sysadmins dealing with annoyed/annoying users.
>
> ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

Actually, the programmers involved are not all that bad. If the programs were
made 10 times as efficient, they would just run them on 10 times as much data,
using the same amount of cpu. We have enough researchers here to use up ALL the
cpu time available, no matter HOW much we have.  The real problem is that the
problems they are trying to solve have no real solutions, just approximations.
Using more cpu would lead to a better approximation.  I think they have a real
complaint when services are interupted unnecessarily.  The real question here
is whether or not the worm was a "necessary" interuption.  You seem to be
saying that it was necessary, in that it might wake up system administrators
to provide better security.  I doubt that the researchers here would accept
that position.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/16/88)

In article <1589@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu>, deke@socrates (Dikran Kassabian) writes:

>In article <17025@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> An Obnoxious Math Grad Student writes:
>>Don't be a stupid nit.  Read what I wrote.  YOU brought up an example,
>>real or imaginary; I then discussed the example.  I never said anything
>>about your site beyond what you said.
>
>Name calling?  Really now.

Yes.  If you condescend towards me, then I shall return the favor.  If you
can't deal with it, then get lost.  Simple, eh?

>The point I wanted to make can be seen below and in at least 3 other postings.
>I brought up an illustrative example.  You latched onto it and turned away
>from the topic.

What do you mean, "the topic"?  You *own* it or something?  You gave exam-
ples, and I told you why I didn't think much of them.  This apparently an-
noys you.  To the point that you start in with asinine accusations that "I
can't read" or what not.

>		  Why is it that I'm not surprised?

I don't know.  Meanwhile, you are more than welcome to *DISCUSS* issues.
For example: go back to my first reply, where I raised the Mrs Brown ques-
tion.  Tell me why you see a difference between the two deaths.  The rea-
son I posed this example to EXPLAIN WHAT I THINK ARE THE RELEVANT QUES-
TIONS WE SHOULD BE PROBING, AND WHY I THINK WHAT I THINK IS RELEVANT IS
INDEED RELEVANT.

You, instead of responding to my example, simply got snotty.

>>By the way, since you seem willing to conclude that what Morris did was
>>"wrong" based on the consequences you enumerate, may I conclude that a
>>non-violent version of the worm would be "right" in your eyes?  If not,
>>why not?

>Because, my dear weemba, (for the fourth and hopefully final time),
>	[[ HERE IS MY POINT, DOES IT LOOK FAMILIAR?? ]]
>the author could not have known what was and was not "violent".  For this
>reason your question is pointless.

So you've raised this point.  What of it?  I really have no idea what
you are getting at now.

In article <1202@fig.bbn.com>, rsalz@bbn (Rich Salz) writes:
>In <17025@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:
>>I read in the paper about a researcher complaining that thanks to the big
>>bad Morris worm, he was unable to carry out a critical transfer of files
>>from one machine to another: his sysadmin was too busy that day because
>>of the worm.  My only reaction was what an incompetent bozo: is this re-
>>searcher just as non-functioning when his sysadmin calls in sick?

>You're suffering from what Alvin Toffler would call failure of imagination,
>or what others might call ignorance.

And you're suffering from what I call arrogant condescension.  For one
thing, you're the one who's not imagining things.

>[picture omitted]

>Both citron and papaya are Cronus machines.  When BBN shut down the
>gateway Thursday morning to avoid further contamination I was unable to
>do some work I wanted to do.

So that's how it's set up at your site.  Not all sites are configured the
same way, nor reacted as cautiously as your site did.  Try a little imagi-
nation.

>There's another possibility: you just assumed that the researcher
>understood what was going on and the mass media reported the technical
>story correct.

That's right.  In retrospect, I'm embarrassed to admit that I ever once
believed a technical comment in a newspaper at face value.  Nevertheless,
I *do* know researchers who are essentially helpless if the right people
are not around to do the little things for them, so the story did not and
does not sound all that outlandish to me.

>	         Or you just took the opportunity to express obnoxiousness
>at the slightest cause.

Or maybe I've seen and heard dozens/hundreds of horror stories about sci-
entists who are complete computer illiterates who bludgeon their way
through machines and programs at a very low efficiency, and so gotten
very cynical over them as a result.  More on this in a separate article.

>You've made some good points, but they're getting drowned in the screed.
>You'd be more effective if you toned down both the tenor and the volume.

Ah, fuck off.  You want to disagree with a point of mine, then go ahead
and do so.  What's the point of your being rude about it?  Really, Rich,
I expect better of *you*.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"It is good to be Rich--the rabbi himself will speak at your funeral."

In article <1409@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, sloane@kuhub (Bob Sloane) writes:
>> Again, what's your point?  From the user's point of view, it's always
>> one reason or another why the computers/networks are not available a
>> certain XX% of the time.  Every time they go down, do your users hunt
>> around for "whom" to blame?

>Yes, at some sites they do.  In our university environment I have heard
>users complain because we take the machine down once a week to perform
>file system backups.  You have to remember that computer centers live
>and work in a political envrionment, as well as a technical one. I
>don't know about the systems you use, but here, every CPU cycle is
>precious, and there are several different users competing for it.  If
>they think even ONE cycle is wasted they will bring it to our attention.

Of course, if anyone points out to any of these users what shitty pro-
grammers they are, and what a waste of CPU cycles their programs really
are--and yes, a lot of genuine nonsense goes on in the world of research
--well, hell, that's too bad.  As you said: politics.

The record of computer inefficiency that I know of was a lattice gauge
theory calculation that took 1000 hours of Cray time.  These physicists
know their physics, but when it comes to computers--just forget it.  I
heard about this from my officemate, who was asked to help figure out
how to perhaps speed things up for the next level.  (No way were they
going to get 10000 hours.  They were all geared up to designing and
building a special purposed device, but they tried seeing if they could
eke some more out with existing hardware.)  He did all the usual.  My
friend noticed numerous symmetries in the problem, he noticed redundant
DO loop recalculations, he noticed tricks with packing very small integer
calculations.  The result: the new version of the same calculation took
one minute.  He did not even need to use assembly and hand vectorization
techniques.  [Now this was something that deserved a Proxmire award.]

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/17/88)

In article <1429@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, sloane@kuhub (Bob Sloane) writes:
>							The real
>question here is whether or not the worm was a "necessary" interuption.
>You seem to be saying that it was necessary, in that it might wake up
>system administrators to provide better security.

I may *seem* to be saying that, but I'm not.  I am saying that maybe sys-
admins ought to be more security conscious all around.  The Morris worm
was already history--and I simply do not understand the point of any of
us placing "blame" in this incident--other than the intellectual amuse-
ment of playing at amateur lawyers.  (As opposed to the non-amusement of
playing amateur judge/jury/executioner.)  If we as a collective whole
DON'T learn from the worm, then I think we as a collective whole shall
have earned any future disasters that befall us.

>						    I doubt that the
>researchers here would accept that position.

And what did your researchers say when they learned their colleagues in
another department were not shut down?  "What do you mean, it's this bug
in DEBUG mode that's been known about for years?  Why wasn't it fixed?"

Or did they simply get the bald message "Morris did it"?

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

whh@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) (11/20/88)

In article <16915@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:

> When I've taught courses that use computers, I told students that under
> almost all circumstances, computer downtime would not be an excuse for
> lateness.  The one exception I've ever made involved granting everyone
> a week's extension.  I've never worked assuming that the machines I use
> are 100% reliable.  Do the scientists/researchers at your site do so--
> even on critical stuff?  If someone has a grant proposal riding on get-
> ting something done by a certain deadline, what happens if there's a
> major disk crash at your site?

Where I work machines are known not to be 100% reliable--but we try to
come as close as we can.  The project I'm on has agreements with our
operations group to provide for 98% up-time during scheduled hours.
The last status report i got had warning on it because it was only
98.04%.  Generally they do much better--many months it has been 100%.
If the application isn't available I usually start getting calls within
a few *minutes*--and the worm caused outages of hours to *days*.  I don't
have any direcet operations responsibility--but I'd be answering a lot of
questions if anything near that severe happened.

When there is a major disk-crash, backups of the data-sets are loaded
to a work pack (descreasing the available work space, temporarily) and
the application--or system, depending on which pack--is brought back up.
This should not take more than 30 minutes.

The application I work on is small--we have only about 150 users and I
*personally* wrote about 70% of the code in it (there's no one else to
blame!).  You ought to see the care given to *important* systems! What
we're trying to achieve is the reliability of our major customer system.
(Hint--when was the last time your 'phone failed to work?  Was it the
handset or the system?)

> Hospitals generally have a backup power supply.  For a very good reason.

The system I have at home has a UPS on it--I consider it cheap insurance.

>             But now you cite computers where users cannot afford to have
> computers to be down for long--do the sites that run them without having
> any contingency plans whatsoever?  Such sites are irresponsible.

We have contigency plans.  Every company I've ever worked for has had
disaster planning.  I've been through two actual computer "disasters".
One was a "flood" (on the 13th floor) and the other created an actual
risk of explosion in the computer room.

   --Hal