[news.sysadmin] REMOVAL OF RACIST JOKES

dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (11/24/88)

In article <192@bnr-fos.UUCP> hwt@bnr-public.UUCP (Henry Troup) writes:
>Isaac Asimov is Jewish (I hope that's not news).  His "Asimov's
>Treasury of Humor" includes the joke that started this all, and
>about 500 other Jewish jokes - none are rot13.
>Henry Troup		utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not
>Bell-Northern Reseach   hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for
>Ottawa, Canada		(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions

Cute followup trick there...

Remember, one of the big differences between Isaac Asimov and the person
babbling the silly charges is that Asimov has been out and around a bit
and has the sense to tell the difference between a joke that plays on
a stereotype and the Holocaust.  At least he (being Asimov) recognises
that in the US and most of the civilized world there is the capability
for people to make jokes and that quite often even the butt of the joke
is able to see the humor of playing on a stereotype.

I'd like to live in a perfect world.  Someday I'll even know just what
that means!  But right now, I'd rather see the foibles of all the different
people poked fun at than attacked - and I do believe there is a difference.
I doubt there are a whole lot of people, including the ones screaming for
Brad's head, who don't know the difference between attacks on people thru
bitter, nasty putdowns and humor based on widely recognized stereotypes.
Calling someone anti-semitic and then dragging up crap like the Nazi
attrocities are much more nasty than anything I've ever encountered that
Brad has posted.

Finally, there's been a lot of heat generated with people typing the word
politeness in caps.  Yeah, Usenet is one of the least polite forums you could
get.  People here have felt free for a long time to post what they believe
and what they know, freely intermingling the two.  There is also, however,
the responsibility on the reader to avoid what she or he really doesn't
care for.  Humor, both in the form of rec.humor and rec.humor.funny is just
another case of the same thing.  Humor pokes fun at something.  A group,
an animal, some anonymous travelling salesman, whatever.  Every one of us
needs to decide if we can separate the wheat from the chaff and go on about
our business.  If we can't, we're losing most of our opportunities at
pleasure and happiness.

Dewey Henize

| There is nothing in the above message that can't be explained by sunspots.  |
|                   execu!dewey             Dewey Henize                      |
|         Can you say standard disclaimer?  I knew you could.  Somehow...     |