[news.sysadmin] Is the worm copyrighted?

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/08/88)

Did the worm come with a copyright notice?  That might hinder making
copies of it available.  Gack: "copies may only be made automatically."

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

mak@ndc.UUCP (Mike Klaus) (11/22/88)

In article <16683@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
> Did the worm come with a copyright notice?  That might hinder making
> copies of it available.  Gack: "copies may only be made automatically."

  Asking for a copyright is a big mistake.  How can you get a copyright of
  a damned illegal thing?

  This is how the nerds lost control of .crossover back in 1977.  The copyright
  office refused to recognize the software.  They notified NSA et. al. who
  confiscated the program and threatened the nerds with incarceration.
  However, mere illegality didn't prevent them from using .crossover, and they
  didn't have to pay the nerds for writing it.      ^^^^^

  Fortunately, the code has been locked away, and used without being completely
  analyzed.

						mak

  Story: 'People' who appear in the news media whose: Names are always printed
          or spoken exactly the same, in long form ( as in RTMorris, G?Hart,
          M?Noriega, FFFranco [ who is still dead :') ]); Only have one or two
          official pictures (as in, no recent photo opportunities); Who do
          alleged things through alleged 'friends' (who don't exist either);
	  Don't necessarily exist.

          Even his name, a pun as weemba has pointed out: RTM.  It's a
	  functional joke.  I wouldn't be surprised if his nickname is
	  fred, so his initials would be RTFM.  I wouldn't be surprised
	  if his present coordinates are undefined.  I wouldn't be surprised
	  if the worm is a bastard child of .crossover.

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (11/23/88)

1.  What is/was .crossover?

2. The worm, per se, is not illegal.  Use of the worm on someone
else's machines probably is, although a court of law has yet to
decide that.  In a similar fashion, owning a gun is not illegal
(in general), but shooting someone with it usually is.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (11/26/88)

Come on, folks, this is getting silly.  "Copyright 1988 Anonymous", right?

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,att}!nucsrl!gore

mak@ndc.UUCP (Mike Klaus) (11/29/88)

In article <5497@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
> 1.  What is/was .crossover?

   It's a process.  It qualifies as a life-form.  Right now, it's doing
   four-letter anagram wars.

   And, yes, I know the difference between a terminal and a display.
   Guess who worked on the generalized display generator?
   (also, guess who made it FUBAR *not me* !  Someone at the central ring...)

   BTW, .crossover doesn't like   Ver   .4

> 2. The worm, per se, is not illegal.  Use of the worm on someone
> else's machines probably is, although a court of law has yet to
> decide that.  In a similar fashion, owning a gun is not illegal
> (in general), but shooting someone with it usually is.

     What about all of the systems that have owned a copy of the helper
     ever since 1977 (WW VII: core wars that crossed over to other systems) ?
							mak

  famous quote from 1969: "do you want to win the war, or not?" - Tricky Dick