[news.sysadmin] The Internet Virus--Another issue

jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) (11/16/88)

I think there's another side to the internet virus story that
hasn't been mentioned yet: what do the manufacturers do.

When a serious defect in a car is found the manufacturer usually calls
all cars with the defect back and repairs them for free.

So far, only Sun has done something similar by posting instructions
on patching sendmail and a replacement for fingerd to the net (and,
I assume that they'll also snail-mail it to the poor customers
without net access). Applause, but where are the others?

Even though only vaxen and suns have been affected by this virus, it
is trivial now to write a virus that will also exploit the bug on
any other system.

Yet another issue, of course, is why sun compiled the distribution sendmail
with the WIZ option in the first place.
--
Fight war, not wars			| Jack Jansen, jack@cwi.nl
Destroy power, not people! -- Crass	| (or mcvax!jack)

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (11/17/88)

Sequent sent paper mail to all customers on November 8 giving instructions
how to binary patch their sendmail and giving an 800 number to call if
they didn't understand the patch.

(and the "virus" didn't even run on Sequents)

---rick

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (11/17/88)

In article <7715@boring.cwi.nl> jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:

>When a serious defect in a car is found the manufacturer usually calls
>all cars with the defect back and repairs them for free.

      Federal law requires this.  Under heavy pressure from Ralph Nader,
Congress, during the 1960s, required mandatory recalls for safety-related
defects and for certain other problems.  The manufacturers often initiate
"voluntary" recalls as well, but this is to head off action by the Department
of Transportation.  Interestingly, the manufacturers are not required to
inform vehicle owners of the recall; they can let the Government do that.
However, if the manufacturer lets DOT send out the notice, it will, as
required by the law, contain rather negative language (along the lines
of "The United States Government Department of Transportation has
determined that a serious safety defect exists in your car..."), so
manufacturers usually prefer to inform customers themselves.

      The day may come when we see such legislation for computers.

					John Nagle

borynec@bnr-di.UUCP (James Borynec) (11/18/88)

It seems to me that everybody is assuming that the major security threat
is some cracker deciding to show off his ego?  I think that there are
other, probably greater, risks at hand.  Firstly, there is industrial
espionage:  We only hear about the 16 year old kids who attack the
net with blunt instruments.  Does anybody know anything about the
incidence of industrial espionage (possibly by (gasp!) foreign nationals).
I would guess that if they are at all professional they would likely
not be caught for many a year.

 A second danger is a modern version of Arson.  What if some unsavory
character decided that life would be much more profitable if his chief
competitor's computers were (figuratively) burnt to the ground.  The
chances of not being caught are pretty high.

I think that the major reason that these things haven't happened all
much in the past is because of the relative scarcity of expertise.
This is changing FAST!  Good ol Obnoxious has a point - We must
take action NOW to prevent Billions of dollars in damage in the
future.

James Borynec utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-di!borynec
Bell Northern Research   borynec@bnr.ca.bitnet

trn@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Tony Nardo) (11/18/88)

In article <7715@boring.cwi.nl> jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:
>So far, only Sun has done something similar by posting instructions
>on patching sendmail and a replacement for fingerd to the net (and,
>I assume that they'll also snail-mail it to the poor customers
>without net access). Applause, but where are the others?

And this was a half-measure.  SUN's code to fix another 'finger' bug is,
I am told, "in the system", but has yet to be released to the public.
Also, was it SUN that released the patched ftpd sources?  I'm not sure,
but I don't think so.

I don't wish to pick on SUN alone.  It would sure be nice if vendors could
maintain a system on the network, reachable via anonymous ftp, containing
the patched sources/objects/binaries for bugs found in their operating
systems.  Granted, this wouldn't guarantee 100% coverage for distribution
of patches, but it would be an awfully good start.

ARPA, BITNET:   trn@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
UUCP:		{backbone!}mimsy!aplcomm!trn

DISCLAIMER:  These are my opinions, and not necessarily those of JHU/APL.

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (11/20/88)

In article <17849@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:
    In article <7715@boring.cwi.nl> jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:

        When a serious defect in a car is found the  manufacturer
        usually  calls  all cars with the defect back and repairs
        them for free.

    Federal law requires this.  Under heavy pressure  from  Ralph
    Nader, Congress, during the 1960s, required mandatory recalls
    for safety-related defects and for  certain  other  problems.
    The manufacturers often initiate "voluntary" recalls as well,
    but  this  is  to  head  off  action  by  the  Department  of
    Transportation.  Interestingly,  the  manufacturers  are  not
    required to inform vehicle owners of the recall; they can let
    the Government do that.

    The day may come when we see such legislation for computers.

There are major problems with software  bug  fixes  and  recalls.
The  main  difference  between software and computers on one hand
and cars on the other is that someone knows exactly who owns each
car  by  serial number.  That is the DMV has a list.  In theory a
list of all defective vehicles could  be  supplied  and  somewhat
later  a  mailing  list returned by each of the 54 DMV's. [54 you
say?  Yes 50 states, DC, PR, VI and Guam.  I ignore CZ and non-US
jurisdictions.]  Of course most car manuafacturers keep their own
private list [also good for sending mail on new models, etc.]

Consider  computers.  These  days  the  computer  is  sold  by  a
distributor  or  a  Value  Added  Reseller (VAR) or by your local
computer shop.  The manufacturer probably doesn't have a foggiest
idea  who  has  it.  Similarly  for  the  software -- its sold in
shrink wrapped packages at the 7-11 these days  [honest  injun!].
And even if they could track the original purchase, do they track
re-sold computers and software?

Thus the value of the  "warranty  registration"  cards  appliance
manufacuturers  have.  Of course most software warranties are "if
the floppies are bad we'll send a  new  set".  Hence  the  reason
major vendors offer support for their products at a fee.  But how
many PC or even UNIX(R) owners pay for support?

--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

In article <2490@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> trn@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Tony Nardo) writes:
>I don't wish to pick on SUN alone.  It would sure be nice if vendors could
>maintain a system on the network, reachable via anonymous ftp, containing
>the patched sources/objects/binaries for bugs found in their operating
>systems...

There would be some small licensing problems with this, given that not
everybody on the network is licensed for the same stuff.
--
Sendmail is a bug,             |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
not a feature.                 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <7715@boring.cwi.nl> jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:
>Yet another issue, of course, is why sun compiled the distribution sendmail
>with the WIZ option in the first place.

Because, unfortunately, there is no "WIZ" option.  There are about a
hundred different options all covered by the -DDEBUG defined variable,
in the C source.  98% of these are useful, and I have wished that DEC
compiled them into the versions of Ultrix I have used (they don't - no
bugs (see their manual entries!), so no need for -DEBUG).  The other
2% are potential problems, some of which can be eliminated by replacing
such pseudo-keywords as "debug", "shell", and "wiz" with "noop" or
something similar in your binaries.

	Joe Yao		jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)
	hadron!jsdy@{uunet.UU.NET,dtix.ARPA,decuac.DEC.COM}
	arinc,att,avatar,blkcat,cos,decuac,dtix,\
	ecogong,empire,gong,grebyn,inco,insight, \!hadron!jsdy
	kcwc,lepton,netex,netxcom,phw5,rlgvax,	 /
	seismo,sms,smsdpg,sundc,uunet		/

brian@apollo.COM (Brian Holt) (11/23/88)

In article <1988Nov19.235026.29419@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <2490@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> trn@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Tony Nardo) writes:
>>I don't wish to pick on SUN alone.  It would sure be nice if vendors could
>>maintain a system on the network, reachable via anonymous ftp, containing
>>the patched sources/objects/binaries for bugs found in their operating
>>systems...
>
>There would be some small licensing problems with this, given that not
>everybody on the network is licensed for the same stuff.
>--
>Sendmail is a bug,             |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>not a feature.                 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Not to mention that most of the vendors are on the DARPA Internet
portion of the internet, which explicitly disallows commercial
use except for the support of Defense Advanced Research Projects
or DoD contracts.  Those that aren't directly on the DARPA section
are on a connected network (such as NSFnet) which has agreed to abide
by DARPA's rules.  An argument could be made that providing patched
sources/objects/binaries via anonymous ftp is in support of
DoD contracts, but I suspect most vendors aren't willing to
push that fine gray line too far.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't even play one on TV, so don't quote
me on any of this.

		=brian
--
Internet: brian@apollo.COM            UUCP: {decvax,mit-erl,yale}!apollo!brian
NETel:    Apollo: 508-256-6600 x5694  Home: 617-332-3073    FISA: 617-964-8938

mak@ndc.UUCP (Mike Klaus) (11/30/88)

	Today's Score: Crossover   1
		       LineEater   0

     And, if you have an unauthorized copy of jay's mailer, it'll crash @ *the
     end* of the previous line.  Who says that software can't be reposessed?

								mak

    BTW, to all those that have fingered my new password, it's poison.