[news.sysadmin] umlaut

stolcke@icsi.berkeley.edu (Andreas Stolcke) (11/20/88)

In article <15200@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bondc@iuvax.UUCP (Clay M Bond) writes:

>>Bussmann's dictionary states that the original umlaut (the initial
>>assimilation) is indeed an all-germanic phenomenon, i.e. occurred
>>independently in all germanic languages. Again, due to later
>
>No, absolutely not.  One of the distinguishing hallmarks of the Eastern
>Germanic languages (Gothic) was that it had no umlaut.  However, most
>Germanicists (and their articles) use the phrase "all Germanic languages"
>(or words to that effect), when in fact they mean, "all North and West
>Germanic languages."  Why, I wonder, is Wulfila so ignored?  :-)

You're right, of course. Bussmann actually gives Gothic as an exception,
it was just negligence on my part.

--
Andreas Stolcke
(stolcke@ernie.Berkeley.EDU)

--
Andreas Stolcke
(stolcke@ernie.Berkeley.EDU)

peter@usenix.UUCP (Peter H. Salus) (11/30/88)

In article <26887@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, stolcke@icsi.berkeley.edu (Andreas Stolcke) writes:
> In article <15200@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bondc@iuvax.UUCP (Clay M Bond) writes:
> >
> >>Bussmann's dictionary states that the original umlaut (the initial
> >>assimilation) is indeed an all-germanic phenomenon, i.e. occurred
> >>independently in all germanic languages. Again, due to later
> >
> >No, absolutely not.  One of the distinguishing hallmarks of the Eastern
> >Germanic languages (Gothic) was that it had no umlaut.  However, most
> >Germanicists (and their articles) use the phrase "all Germanic languages"
> >(or words to that effect), when in fact they mean, "all North and West
> >Germanic languages."  Why, I wonder, is Wulfila so ignored?  :-)
> >
> You're right, of course. Bussmann actually gives Gothic as an exception,
> it was just negligence on my part.
>
> --
> Andreas Stolcke
> (stolcke@ernie.Berkeley.EDU)

Sometimes I wish that people who weren't trained in historical
linguistics would just leave things alone.  Luckily, I don't have
"Bussmann's dictionary," nor even know what it is.  However, I have
a degree in Germanic Languages and a number of works on Gothic and
other Gmc. languages right next to my workstation.

Umlaut is not only a Germanic phenomenon, but occurs in Celtic
and in many of the Finno-Ugric and Ural-Altaic languages.  Those
interested in this last, might look at Binnick's MODERN MONGOLIAN
(U. of Toronto Press, 1979).

Those interested in the Germanic languages generally, should read:
	Prokosch, COMPARATIVE GERMANIC GRAMMAR (1938)
	Bennett, "The earliest Germanic umlauts and the
		Gothic migrations," LANGUAGE 28 (1952) 339-342.
in German:
	Hirt, HANDBUCH DES URGERMANISCHEN (vol. 1, 1931)
	Streitberg, URGERMANISCHE GRAMMATIK (1895, 1943)
in Italian:
	Pisani, INTRODUZIONE ALLO STUDIO DELLE LINGUE GERMANICHE (1962)
	Manganella, ANTICHI DIALETTI GERMANICHE (1959)

For Gothic:
	Wright, GRAMMAR OF THE GOTHIC LANGUAGE (2nd ed., 1954)
	Braune/Ebbinghaus, GOTISCHE GRAMMATIK (16th ed., 1961)
	Mosse', MANUEL DE LA LANGUE GOTIQUE (Nouv.ed., 1956)

Yes.  You might wonder why "is Wulfila so ignored."  The answer
is that the Gothic gospels are not ignored, that the phenomena
are not singular, and tjhat the posters are ignorant.

Peter

bondc@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Clay M Bond) (11/30/88)

Peter Salus:

> . . . and tjhat the posters are ignorant.

Aren't they, though?

--
<< Clay Bond -- IU Department of Leath-er, er, uh, Linguistics       >>