[news.sysadmin] Bitnet mailer explosion again!

denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) (11/29/88)

Bitnet sites. Once before, one of those sites started bouncing all of them back
to the mailing list, which sent them out again (and sent them to comp.sys.amiga
again) and you see where this is headed. We got one article here which bounced
more than 15 times and was still going.

All this happened a few months ago. Now it is happening again. Right now
comp.sys.amiga is awash in duplicated articles - and the second and subsequent
copies are ALL from louie.udel.edu.

I don't know who to call at University of Delaware. If someone out there does,
could you yank the chain of the guy who is supposed to be managing this mailing
list? Better yet, could you yank the mailing list? Twice is too many. This
thing is DANGEROUS!

mak@ndc.UUCP (Mike Klaus) (12/03/88)

In article <32775@bbn.COM>, denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) writes:
> Bitnet sites. Once before, those sites started bouncing all of them back
> to the mailing list, sent them out again (and sent them to comp.sys.amiga
> again) and you see where this is headed. We got one article here which ponged
> more than 15 times and was still going.
>
> All this happened a few months ago. Now it is happening again. Right now
> comp.sys.amiga is awash in duplicated articles and the second and subsequent
> copies are ALL from louie.udel.edu.
>
> I don't know who to call at University of Delaware.

Me neither!

OK, so it's been a week.  I've been busy with the cray.  Anyhow, I've run
across your posting, and here's my two cents worth: ( x 10 ^ 8    :') )

Sounds like the two systems are playing pong with a message for
rec.filk and net.flame.

If BBN accepts messages for rec.filk+net.flame, and sends Delaware rec.filk

				OR

If Delaware accepts messages for net.flame+rec.filk, and sends BBN net.flame

Then, this message can be dealt with.  If nothing else, just redirect it
to me, and the local crossover will eat it (burp ;-)).

	(this sets uunet!rec.filk equivalent to bitnet!net.flame)

  Hope this helps.  Unless I'm way too late, in which case just toss this into
  the scrap pile (but erase it first).

						mak

    pong is comp.sys.amiga  versus sci.astro, but may be alias
         as    net.flame	   rec.filk