[news.sysadmin] Would you hire The Worm?

root@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (11/13/88)

As part of a followup story we're doing on the InterNet Worm and its
ramifications throughout the industry, we'd like to ask all the sys-admins
and others in a position of hiring programmers:

"Given the opportunity to hire the creator of the InterNet Worm, would you?"

also:

"Would you feel comfortable hiring a company who opted to hire the creator
of the InterNet Worm?"

Please address your comments to:  uunet!utoday!views.

We'll summarize, of course, both in print and back acorss this newsgroup,
so there is no need to followup - just send mail.

(Please remember that, as of the above date and time, no one has been
convicted of any crime, so we opt to consider the wider picture:  The Worm
as an entity without a name....)

Thanks!

Ross M. Greenberg
UNIX TODAY!
uunet!utoday!greenber

lyndon@nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (11/14/88)

In article <456@utoday.UUCP>, root@utoday (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>As part of a followup story we're doing on the InterNet Worm and its
>ramifications throughout the industry, we'd like to ask all the sys-admins
>and others in a position of hiring programmers:
>
>"Given the opportunity to hire the creator of the InterNet Worm, would you?"

Hmm ... First question *I* would ask is "do you do other things besides
read/post news when you're logged in as root?"

How can I place any credibility in your reporting when your actions
show you aren't paying any attention to anything that has been
discussed here ...

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (11/15/88)

In article <456@utoday.UUCP>, root@utoday (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>As part of a followup story we're doing on the InterNet Worm and its
>ramifications throughout the industry, we'd like to ask all the sys-admins
>and others in a position of hiring programmers:
>
>"Given the opportunity to hire the creator of the InterNet Worm, would you?"

Then somebody says:
> Hmm ... First question *I* would ask is "do you do other things besides
> read/post news when you're logged in as root?"
>
> How can I place any credibility in your reporting when your actions
> show you aren't paying any attention to anything that has been
> discussed here ...

     OK folks, time for a mild flame.  I see people picking
on the various UNIX Today people, and I think it really sux.

     First, what is so terrible with reading news as root?
It's his site, he's the sysadmin, and he's not hiding his
real name.  Why in the world would anybody care about this?
This just looks like gratuitous belittlement of others to me.

     Second, the "...you aren't paying attention to anything..."
is really silly.  Somebody has posted a "DID HE DO US A SERVICE
OR NOT?" request for pseudo-votes, and I've not seen anybody
flame him for this "silly" question.  People who object to having
their opinion asked must not have a very high opinion of *themselves*.

     Finally, why are people so upset in general that there are
now journalists on the net (especially active ones)?  UNIX has
obviously grown enough to warrant an industry biweekly magazine
such as UNIX Today -- this is supposed to be a good thing.  Assuming
that there *will* be a magazine like UT! (there obviously will),
there are a couple of ways they could treat the net, and the way
that the net would (has) responded to each:

     They could ignore us ---> "These bozos won't even get on the net
          to see what we really think" [e.g. _Byte_]

     They could summarize or report on net activity without
          contributing or asking anybody ---> "Those bozos quoted me
          without asking!" -or- "Those bozos think they are
          correctly gauging the consensus of the net - ha."

     They could ask us what we think ---> "These bozos don't read the
          newsgroups" or "These bozos are using the net for
          commercial purposes (gasp!)."

     Hey, you've defined it that they can't win no matter what
they do.  Do you want them to think that we're a bunch of snotty
UNIX.bigots?   Only people with a BSEE are allowed to post?  Only
those on the ANSI committee?  Please excuse the rest of us.

     These people report on us, ask us for advice and our opinions,
and they get snotty postings in response.  What kind of adults
are we?

     Yes, I happen to like UNIX Today!  They are trying hard to
cover a dynamic industry -- *my* industry -- and for people who
are new to UNIX, I think they're doing a pretty durn good job.
They understand that there is a cultural flavor to UNIX (and the
net) and they are trying to acquire it so they can be better
reporters.  Why don't we help them rather than insult them?

     Keep in mind that this is not some basement rag.  Their parent,
CMP Publications, puts out _EE Times_ and _Computer Systems News_,
both well-respected tradeweeklies.  If you don't read them, you
should.   UNIX Today! had a good interview with Brian Kernighan
the other week.  This is so terrible?

     So folks, lay off.  If you have a legitimate gripe with a
posting or an article in their magazine, send them a note.
They do respond, and they seem genuinely interested in feedback
from us on their mistakes; you might even do some good or
(shudder) get your name in the paper.  If your gripe is just to
bitch, send it to /dev/null, not here -- we don't need it.

     Steve

Disclaimer: I'm only a [free] subscriber, no other connection, etc.

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (11/15/88)

Let me join Steve Friedl in saying that it is inappropriate for you to
flame Ross for posting to the net.  I believe it is his personal
system, so if he posts from root, so what?  And I know for a fact he
*is* paying attention to this discussion.  He interviewed me about some
of the things I said on the net.  He also asked technically appropriate
questions, which is more than I can say for some of the media
organizations who have interviewed some of us in recent days.  (Would
you believe I had someone ask me right after the worm hit whether or
not users had to worry about catching the virus?  Sheesh!).

Discourage the obvious turkeys, but let's try not to pick on sincere
and technically competent people.

BTW, you might not recognize his name, but I am told that Mr. Greenberg
is the author of one of the better PC anti-viral programs.  He has been
working in that area for a few years, and thus may have more insight
into some of the problems than many of the people flaming him will ever
hope to have.

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (11/16/88)

ross has been active on usenet for years.  he may have given up
respectability for a journalist's pencil, but that can be excused.

	peter

greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (11/19/88)

Thank you, Gene (and Steve)!

The machine I post from is the property of UNIX TODAY!, a twice monthly
publication put out by CMP Publications.  We are attempting to cover the
net as part of our UNIX coverage.

My personal affiliation with them is as Reviews Editor, probably as
Technical Editor shortly and as a freelancer writing for them.
I also serve as their SA. Additionally, I will be training the UNIX TODAY!
staff in how to get the best usage out of UNIX, and how to properly use
the net - and trying to figure out how best we can be a net resource.

Because of the close affiliation the net has with the UNIX community, we
look forward to the suggestions, comments, complaints, and even the
occasional flame we might get -- as long as it doesn't clutter up the
net.  As such, please send what comments you might have either to me,
or to my head honcho, Mike Azarra (uunet!utoday!mikea).  We have a number
of other mailboxes as well, which you'll find on our masthead and throughout
the newspaper.

Opinions I might express will be my own, unless my editors  ask me
to post an official opinion --- and they would labeled as such.

Ross M. Greenberg
UNIX TODAY!
uunet!utoday!greenber,root

In article <792@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (peter honeyman) writes:
>ross has been active on usenet for years.  he may have given up
>respectability for a journalist's pencil, but that can be excused.
>
>	peter

Harumpf! :-)

Howdy, Peter!

Ross

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/22/88)

As quoted from <10538@ncc.Nexus.CA> by lyndon@nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg):
+---------------
| In article <456@utoday.UUCP>, root@utoday (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
| >As part of a followup story we're doing on the InterNet Worm and its
| >ramifications throughout the industry, we'd like to ask all the sys-admins
| >and others in a position of hiring programmers:
| >
| >"Given the opportunity to hire the creator of the InterNet Worm, would you?"
|
| Hmm ... First question *I* would ask is "do you do other things besides
| read/post news when you're logged in as root?"
|
| How can I place any credibility in your reporting when your actions
| show you aren't paying any attention to anything that has been
| discussed here ...
+---------------

Amen.  Doing *anything* other than the absolute minimum of necessary
commands from root (i.e. "su" only when necessary to execute a single
privileged command) is asking for trouble.

For the record:  I wouldn't hire him, Fred Gwinn (my boss) wouldn't hire him.
Would *you* trust him as de-facto system administrator for your clients'
systems?  Or, if the Worm really was an accident, would you trust him as a
programmer?  (QC, people, QC.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (11/23/88)

In article <13162@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>For the record:  I wouldn't hire him, Fred Gwinn (my boss) wouldn't hire him.
>Would *you* trust him as de-facto system administrator for your clients'
>systems?  Or, if the Worm really was an accident, would you trust him as a
>programmer?  (QC, people, QC.)

I, on the other hand, would certainly consider hiring him. He's clearly
a talented programmer. And after all this, I would imagine he's a hell
of a lot more serious and conscientious about it.

Please note that this is my personal opinion and not the official
position of McDonnell Douglas.

Dave Mack

trn@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Tony Nardo) (11/26/88)

In article <3738@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>In article <13162@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>>For the record:  I wouldn't hire him, Fred Gwinn (my boss) wouldn't hire him.
>>Would *you* trust him as de-facto system administrator for your clients'
>>systems?  Or, if the Worm really was an accident, would you trust him as a
>>programmer?  (QC, people, QC.)
>
>I, on the other hand, would certainly consider hiring him. He's clearly
							    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>a talented programmer. And after all this, I would imagine he's a hell
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>of a lot more serious and conscientious about it.

Really, now?  Have you looked at the code?  The few pieces I've seen (the
small *.c files that came across in clear text) fail to convince me of that.
He may have had access to information that most people don't, but that's
hardly a trait of a talented *programmer*.

Besides, would you hire someone who *really* believes that 'C' is self-
documenting -- and therefore doesn't include a single comment in his code? :-)

ARPA, BITNET:   trn@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
UUCP:		{backbone!}mimsy!aplcomm!trn

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
				- Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle
"Any clod can have opinions, but having facts to support them is an Art!"
				- moi

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (11/27/88)

In article <3738@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>I, on the other hand, would certainly consider hiring him. He's clearly
>a talented programmer. And after all this, I would imagine he's a hell
>of a lot more serious and conscientious about it.

Ahem.  I've read through 3 different reverse compilations and unassembled
versions of the worm program, and I can say pretty definitively that
the worm program shows no evidence of the author (or authors) being
a talented programmer.  The code is poorly structured, there is dead
code throughout, calls are made with the wrong number and kinds of
arguments, effort is duplicated, and the data structures chosen are
not appropriate for the task at hand.  If this were code from a
student in one of my courses, I would give it no more than a low C
grade.  It is largely luck that it worked as well as it did, and
I doubt it was tested or ever run through lint.

This is all discussed in my tech report (to be issued Monday).

As far as being more serious and conscientious, how the heck do you
know that?  Perhaps the author(s) is now more serious and conscientious
about not being caught.  Maybe he/she/they are now more serious about
causing damage the next time something like this is done.  If the only
punishment is a fine or a slap on the wrist, exactly what lessons do
you think will have been learned from this?  Even if the punishment is
more severe, what do you *know* will have been learned?

It would be irresponsible for a businessman to hire a failed embezzler
as the company comptroller.  It would be stupid to hire a admitted
arsonist as the night watchman at a lumberyard.  It would be criminal
to hire a child molester to work as a babysitter.  Even if these people
had been caught, paid a fine, and served time, would you trust them
with something of value to you and related to their criminal activity?

To hire the author(s) of the worm to work on computer security or
important computer software would be just plain stupid.  He/she/they
has demonstrated a total ignorance about right and wrong just to run
some "neat hacks."

If I knew that a company hired the author(s), I wonder if I could ever
trust the software they would market.  I doubt I would ever purchase
anything from that company if I had any alternative at all.  Think
about it.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (11/29/88)

In article <5518@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
>In article <3738@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>>I, on the other hand, would certainly consider hiring him. He's clearly
>>a talented programmer. And after all this, I would imagine he's a hell
>>of a lot more serious and conscientious about it.
>
>Ahem.  I've read through 3 different reverse compilations and unassembled
>versions of the worm program, and I can say pretty definitively that
>the worm program shows no evidence of the author (or authors) being
>a talented programmer.  The code is poorly structured, there is dead
>code throughout, calls are made with the wrong number and kinds of
>arguments, effort is duplicated, and the data structures chosen are
>not appropriate for the task at hand.  If this were code from a
>student in one of my courses, I would give it no more than a low C
>grade.  It is largely luck that it worked as well as it did, and
>I doubt it was tested or ever run through lint.
>
>This is all discussed in my tech report (to be issued Monday).

I bow to your expertise in this matter, but I do have a question.
Haven't you ever written a program that contained redundant or
dead code that you intended to hack out in the final version?
Second, you're dealing with decompiled versions which don't include,
for example, preprocessor commands. Who knows what was in there
before cpp got hold of it? (I'm assuming (urk!) that this was
originally in C, not hand-coded assembler.) Finally, coding system calls
with weird arguments is one of the classic methods of probing for
holes in an operating system. In which case, why would one bother
running it through lint?

>As far as being more serious and conscientious, how the heck do you
>know that?  Perhaps the author(s) is now more serious and conscientious
>about not being caught.  Maybe he/she/they are now more serious about
>causing damage the next time something like this is done.  If the only
>punishment is a fine or a slap on the wrist, exactly what lessons do
>you think will have been learned from this?  Even if the punishment is
>more severe, what do you *know* will have been learned?

Again, an assumption. I suppose that I'm just a chicken, but I thought
that having his name spattered across the evening news, having the FBI
probing through every aspect of his life, etc., might have a slightly
sobering effect on him.

>It would be irresponsible for a businessman to hire a failed embezzler
>as the company comptroller.  It would be stupid to hire a admitted
>arsonist as the night watchman at a lumberyard.  It would be criminal
>to hire a child molester to work as a babysitter.  Even if these people
>had been caught, paid a fine, and served time, would you trust them
>with something of value to you and related to their criminal activity?

You ignore the matter of intention. Nobody embezzles money accidentally.
Nobody molests children accidentally. How do you know that the "culprit"
released this thing into the Internet intentionally? Can you prove
that the release of the worm was intentional rather than accidental?

>To hire the author(s) of the worm to work on computer security or
>important computer software would be just plain stupid.  He/she/they
>has demonstrated a total ignorance about right and wrong just to run
>some "neat hacks."

Same point as above. You're comment about "right and wrong" assumes
that he intended the thing to penetrate the net as opposed to being a
"proof of concept" program which was never intended to actually execute
outside a controlled environment. From your description of the decompiled
code, especially the bit about dead and redundant code, it sounds very
much like something that was unfinished.

Wouldn't it be interesting if all of this had happened because he
accidentally deleted a line containing a chroot(2) call?

>If I knew that a company hired the author(s), I wonder if I could ever
>trust the software they would market.  I doubt I would ever purchase
>anything from that company if I had any alternative at all.  Think
>about it.

I have. I'd put him in QA. Great marketing gimmick: "Even the author of
the Great Internet Worm of '88 was unable to penetrate our code." :-)

How about waiting to hear RTMjr's side of the story, Gene? Remember the
old gag about innocent until proven guilty? You keep talking about ethics
and morality, but you seem ready to lynch the guy without a trial.

If it could be proven that the worm's author did intentionally release
the beast and that there was no evidence of repentance on his part, then
no, I wouldn't hire him. As far as I know, neither point has been proven.

Dave Mack
Disclaimer: Not necessarily the views of my employer.

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (11/30/88)

In article <3768@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>Haven't you ever written a program that contained redundant or
>dead code that you intended to hack out in the final version?

How do you know this version of the Worm wasn't the final version?

>Finally, coding system calls
>with weird arguments is one of the classic methods of probing for
>holes in an operating system. In which case, why would one bother
>running it through lint?

The bogus arguments to calls were not there to probe for holes.  The
calls were in a logical pplace, but they just had the wrong arguments.
It's obvious what the difference is if you read it.

>Again, an assumption. I suppose that I'm just a chicken, but I thought
>that having his name spattered across the evening news, having the FBI
>probing through every aspect of his life, etc., might have a slightly
>sobering effect on him.

There are some warped individuals who get off on such publicity.  I'm not
claiming that the author is one of those, but it is possible.  It is also
possible that the current exposure will "harden" the author for the next
time....

>How do you know that the "culprit"
>released this thing into the Internet intentionally? Can you prove
>that the release of the worm was intentional rather than accidental?

The program was written to break into systems.  Aggressively.  It could
have no other use.  Furthermore, there is *nothing* in the code to stop it.
It doesn't check for a special host, it doesn't look for a special file,
it doesn't listen for any special messages...it just infects every machine
it can reach.  I can't conclude that it wasn't an accident, but
I don't believe it was.

>Wouldn't it be interesting if all of this had happened because he
>accidentally deleted a line containing a chroot(2) call?

chroot wouldn't have stopped this.

>How about waiting to hear RTMjr's side of the story, Gene? Remember the
>old gag about innocent until proven guilty? You keep talking about ethics
>and morality, but you seem ready to lynch the guy without a trial.

And you're pinning it on him without a confession or conviction.
How do you know RTM did it?

I'm also not interested in a lynching.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,
Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004
Internet:  spaf@cs.purdue.edu	uucp:	...!{decwrl,gatech,ucbvax}!purdue!spaf

cory@gloom.UUCP (Cory Kempf) (12/03/88)

All of this chatter about hiring the worm gave me an interesting
idea...

I have figured out how to write a virus (as well as a worm or trojan
horse for that matter) for unix sytems as well as macintosh systems.
(A slight mod to one of the techniques would work on most other pc's
as well).

Those of you who wish to hire me as a security consultant, please
send an offer letter to me via e-mail.

(PS: please include salary and a list of bene's)

+C
--
Cory (the last person to escape alive from riverside) Kempf
UUCP: encore.com!gloom!cory

jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (12/03/88)

In article <216@gloom.UUCP> cory@gloom.UUCP writes:
>I have figured out how to write a virus (as well as a worm or trojan
>horse for that matter) for unix sytems as well as macintosh systems.

... but the code is too long to fit in the Summary line?

Last name wouldn't be Fermat, would it?

>Those of you who wish to hire me as a security consultant, please
>send an offer letter to me via e-mail.

...those of you who don't wish to hire him, please send a letter
bomb via duct.

*Sigh*.
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)
"What's she doing?  Angels don't have libidos!  They don't have any