[news.sysadmin] Rerouters again

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (11/29/88)

In article <871@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> dww@acer.UUCP (David Wright) writes:
=In a later article Larry notes that only 1% of sites have mailed him to
=ask about it.      I wonder how many have actually done so, but not got
=to him?    I've tried 3 times now: once to lmb@vsi1.uucp, once to the
=address in his sig (via ames), and once to an address made out of his Path
=converted to % form.    All three bounced from either ames or from altnet
=with 'bad system name', e.g.

I would be curious to see bounces from ames.  As far as altnet, this is one
of the reasons why rerouters are COMPLETELY wrong.  We eliminated our
connection to them after they had been on autopilot for several months.  I
submitted a new map entry, but, of course, no one from Altos has.  After I
started getting complaints from people trying to reply to the original
subject, I sent some mail to our map coordinator.  Meanwhile, anyone forced
to send mail through a rerouter who thinks that uunet!altnet!vsi1 is the
best path is completely out of luck.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov

news@investor.UUCP ( Bob Peirce) (11/30/88)

In article <1251@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:
>In article <871@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> dww@acer.UUCP (David Wright) writes:
>=In a later article Larry notes that only 1% of sites have mailed him to
>=ask about it.      I wonder how many have actually done so, but not got
>=to him?    I've tried 3 times now: once to lmb@vsi1.uucp, once to the
>=address in his sig (via ames), and once to an address made out of his Path
>=converted to % form.    All three bounced from either ames or from altnet
>=with 'bad system name', e.g.
>
>I would be curious to see bounces from ames.  As far as altnet, this is one
>of the reasons why rerouters are COMPLETELY wrong.  We eliminated our
>connection to them after they had been on autopilot for several months.  I

I checked my paths file and vsil isn't even in it!  Both uunet!altnet
and uunet!ames are there, but no vsil.  Maybe ames doesn't know about
you!

--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				 412-471-5320
uucp: ...!{allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!investor!rbp

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (12/02/88)

In article <1045@investor.UUCP> rbp@invest.UUCP (Bob Peirce #74) writes:
=I checked my paths file and vsil isn't even in it!  Both uunet!altnet
=and uunet!ames are there, but no vsil.  Maybe ames doesn't know about
=you!

Then I hope you aren't a rerouter!

uuhosts ames
UUCP mail information for host ames (#USENET lines show USENET news links):
#Name			.nasa.gov, ames
#USENET	vsi1 xanth zodiac
ames	oli-stl(DIRECT+HIGH), allegra(DEMAND+LOW), amdahl(DIRECT+HIGH),
	vsi1(DIRECT),
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (12/03/88)

Tsk, tsk, Larry.
I thought you'd notice the obvious (at least on my display) mistake...

In article <1045@investor.UUCP> rbp@invest.UUCP (Bob Peirce #74) writes:
> I checked my paths file and vsil isn't even in it!  Both uunet!altnet
> and uunet!ames are there, but no vsil.  Maybe ames doesn't know about
                                   ^^^^

The correct host is vsi1 (Vee-ess-eye-one).

In article <1259@vsi1.UUCP>, lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:

> uuhosts ames
> 	vsi1(DIRECT),
        ^^^^

> Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov

In fact, I was *so* sure that Mr Peirce's mailbox would be full to overflowing
with people pointing out the error, I didn't bother to reply.  On a related
note, there is a site out there called 'unet'.  I wonder how much mail gets
misrouted to them?
						- Der
--
	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (12/09/88)

In article <2700@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:

> On a related note, there is a site out there called 'unet'. I wonder
> I wonder how much mail gets misrouted to them?

When I was sysadmin of 'unet' ( Network Equipment Technologies ) we never
got anything. I was surprised, as I'd wondered  much the same. Seems like
most users are reasonably competent typists, or the routing crashes before
it gets misrouted, and it gets sent back ...

>	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)

-- richard

--
 *          "... where there is no movement, there is no perception."         *
 *                    Ribot, _The Psychology of Attention_                    *