[news.sysadmin] Was Re: rnews: security hole. Too bad.

mkirk@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (M J Kirk) (12/16/88)

From article <361@skep2.ATT.COM>, by wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.[ho95c]):

> (I realize Europe is slightly different because of billing for the trans-
> Atlantic link, and because your phone companies belong to the government.)

Not all of us!!!

Martin Kirk
E-Mail:       MKirk@axion.bt.co.uk (...mcvax!ukc!axion!mkirk)
Snail Mail:   BTRL, Rm 23A B68, Martlesham Heath, IPSWICH IP5 7RE, UK
Telephone:    +44 473 642518
Quote:        "Life is hard, and then you die.........."

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (12/19/88)

In article <758@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> mkirk@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk writes:
 >From article <361@skep2.ATT.COM>, by wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.[ho95c]):
 >
 >> (I realize Europe is slightly different because of billing for the trans-
 >> Atlantic link, and because your phone companies belong to the government.)
 >				  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >
 >Not all of us!!!
 >
 >Martin Kirk
 >E-Mail:       MKirk@axion.bt.co.uk (...mcvax!ukc!axion!mkirk)

But then not many of you Brits consider the UK really a part of Europe :-)

Another problem in Europe, the UK, and many other places, is that even local
phone calls are metered, and usually charged at much higher rates than metered
service in North America. So even sites with local connections have much
higher phone bills than similar sites in North America.

I dread the time when I will return there (either Britain or Austria),
taking my system with me.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (12/25/88)

As quoted from <262@dcs.UUCP> by wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul):
+---------------
| Another problem in Europe, the UK, and many other places, is that even local
| phone calls are metered, and usually charged at much higher rates than metered
| service in North America. So even sites with local connections have much
| higher phone bills than similar sites in North America.

I hear the FCC wants to "correct" this.  Sigh.  (It'll put me out of business
as moderator and as maintainer/sysadmin of ncoast, and probably shut ncoast
and probably other PA sites down.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu