[news.sysadmin] Two things

wytten@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Dale R. Wyttenbach) (01/16/89)

First thing:

umn-cs is running 2.11.14 news on DYNIX 3.0.12 (4.2 BSD compatible).
At times that seem to correspond with the arrival of news, /usr/spool/news
starts filling up with size 0 files with a name consisting of the chars
'tr' followed by a 5 digit number.  If cron doesn't find and remove size 0
files in /usr/spool/news periodically, the /usr/spool partition runs out
of inodes within a few days.  (bad for mail)  Anyone else had this problem?

Other thing:

Someone at another department here at the U of Minnesota is trying to compile
the USENET distribution on an Encore Multimax.  They are having a hard time
getting the patches to apply correctly.  If someone out there knows where a
pre-patched distribution of news is available, please let me know so I can
tell them where to get it.

Thanks very much,

Dale Wyttenbach
news@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

loverso@xenna.Encore.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (01/16/89)

In article <10837@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> wytten@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dale R. Wyttenbach) writes:
> Someone at another department here at the U of Minnesota is trying to compile
> the USENET distribution on an Encore Multimax.  They are having a hard time
> getting the patches to apply correctly.  If someone out there knows where a
> pre-patched distribution of news is available, please let me know so I can
> tell them where to get it.

A fully patched 2.11 is available for ftp from xenna.Encore.COM (among
other places, I'm sure) in "/pub/news2.11.14".  No changes are required
(other than a localize.sh) compile and run this under UMAX4.2.

../John
--
John Robert LoVerso, Annex Software Engineer
Xylogics, Inc. [formerly Encore Computer Corp]