[news.sysadmin] ham radio mail/news feed

bs@unido.UUCP (Bernard Steiner) (01/27/89)

In article <64@artsnet.UUCP> gatech!dscatl!artsnet!mgresham (Mark Gresham) writes:
>But I was wondering:
>  Apparantly there are a few newsfeeds around here that are
>transferred via HAM radio.  Is this kind of thing a viable
>alternative vs. the phone lines in Europe?  It seems there
>*should* be some kind of available transmission frequencies that
>could be used, but don't know about the legal aspects re various
>countries.
>  It also might be useful in fairly remote regions of the world,
>too.

*SIGH*

I suppose it is legal to connect ham radio equipment to some
telephone lines in the US; it is, however, absolutely illegal
in Germany (and, probably, most of Europe, too).

Remember: Post Office, Telephone Company and the ministry of
	telecommunication is one and the same thing (in Germany),
	so de facto our government prohibits the use of trailblazers,
	they disallow connecting ham radio equipment to public/leased
	telephone/x.25 etc lines.

Well, the only way of getting a mail/news feed onto ham radio in
Germany seems to be polling some US site; and even that might be
interpreted to be illegal due to the contents of what is transmitted
and received :-(

Regards,
	Bernard