[news.sysadmin] Alternate methods?

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (01/26/89)

In article <1989Jan23.183420.7803@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Don't forget that in Europe, instead of multiple phone companies with
>a more-or-less adversary relationship to the government, there is one
>phone company per country and it's *part* of the government, usually
>part of (shudder) the Post Office.

I guess what gets you P.O.'d is the P.O., eh? :-)

But I was wondering:
  Apparantly there are a few newsfeeds around here that are
transferred via HAM radio.  Is this kind of thing a viable
alternative vs. the phone lines in Europe?  It seems there
*should* be some kind of available transmission frequencies that
could be used, but don't know about the legal aspects re various
countries.
  It also might be useful in fairly remote regions of the world,
too.

--Mark Gresham

	...gatech!dscatl!artsnet!mgresham
	(ARTSNET, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.)

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (01/27/89)

In article <64@artsnet.UUCP> gatech!dscatl!artsnet!mgresham (Mark Gresham) writes:
>But I was wondering:
>  Apparantly there are a few newsfeeds around here that are
>transferred via HAM radio.  Is this kind of thing a viable
>alternative vs. the phone lines in Europe?  It seems there
>*should* be some kind of available transmission frequencies that
>could be used, but don't know about the legal aspects re various
>countries.
>  It also might be useful in fairly remote regions of the world,
>too.

The latter -- probably.

The former -- not likely. Don't forget that in Europe the PTTs not
only control the phone companies, but also have the function of the FCC --
they assign and control the use of radio frequencies. They are not likely
to approve use of the essentially free broadcast medium for something that
currently generates revenue for them.

That is also true of modems -- the main reason US modems (even CCITT compatible
modems!) are illegal to use in Europe is that the PTT's expect lots of $$
from manufacturers wanting to market their modems there. Each modem officially
imported and approved is revenue -- every modem imported privately, by
the user, is LOST revenue.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

teus@fs1-cg.oce.nl (Teus Hagen) (01/27/89)

Is there some type of HAM radio possibility in Europe?:
	There is, but not throughout Europe.
I know that eg in Holland there is something simular (special hour,
short period, mostly at night). They broadcast "bits for hobby computers".
They send their computer programs in this way. However starting this year
they will send their program listings via the television broadcast:
Teletext (page 420?).
This alternative is mainly made possible due to some employees
working for some special radio program (so they could easily find
their way).
Anyway here you have an alternative.
Eg use a page of Teletext from some well received channel in Europe
(Sky, Super Channel, etc). And reception of "news" is free in Europe.

I know that there was thought about this to use this technic with
EUnet. However the commercial broadcaster went quickly bankrupt
(as lots of them do). So lifetime is a bit short.
And that is not what you want either...

teus
This note does not necessarily represent the position of Oce-Nederland b.v..
Therefore no liability or responsibility for whatever will be accepted.