[news.sysadmin] SUMMARY: Policies regarding news access

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (02/17/89)

A while ago, I wrote:

>Now that we have ANU News for VMS up and running, we have the capability
>to allow ALL of the users here (approx. 15,000) access to news.  Before we
>do that, however, I was wondering what policies (if any) regarding access to
>news are in place at other universites (or any other sites, for that matter).

I was delighted to receive so many replies so quickly; a summary follows.
Thanx to everyone who took the time to respond.

kathy@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Kathryn Smith):

You'll probably get this suggestion at least 47 more times from other people,
but just in case...   I realize it's probably impossible for you to effectively
enforce this, but THE most helpful and civilized thing an administrator can do
before turning thousands of neophytes loose on the news utilities is to at
least TRY and get them to read the introductory posting on netiquette.  I
don't know enough about you computer center to even contemplate concrete
suggestions for how to accomplish this (and believe me, I do appreciate how
difficult it is to get even experienced users to look at the documentation),
if you succeed in getting even a third of them to pay attention, you will have
done us all a big favor.

tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey):

I'm the news admin for this department (and sort of the de-facto admin for
this campus).  Two departments on this campus receive a news feed from us.
Faculty, staff, and graduate students have full reading and posting
privileges.  Undergrads generally don't have posting privileges, although
some undergrads are trying to have this restriction removed (with my support).

Early on, our department head expressed concern over using state equipment
and resources to store and transmit groups like talk.*, soc.*, and alt.sex.
After consulting with the university legal department, he decided to allow
these groups to remain on sort of a trial basis.  So far there hasn't been
any further problem with news or its contents.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto <jdevoto@apple.com>:

My experience is that at most educational institutions, access to
computer facilities is relatively open (modulo shortages). Net
access generally follows this pattern: at most places, anyone who
has an account can post/read news and send email. Problem posters
are generally dealt with on a case by case basis (i.e. the default
is to let everyone post, but if you get complaints about a user and
they seem valid on investigation, you may want to take action ranging
from restricting postings for a few weeks to kicking the user off
your machines altogether).

You will, of course, want to make sure new users are directed to
the netiquette documents in news.announce.newusers before they
even *think* about posting.

amdcad!cdr@decwrl.dec.com (Carl Rigney):

Before unleashing the hordes, you should make sure they've all read the
articles in news.announce.newusers - force it to the front of their .newsrc
if you can.  At the very least they need to understand the differences
between USEnet and BBSes, or you're likely to get your University a very
bad reputation very quickly.  It's probably unfair that people judge
organizations by the people who post from them, but that's the way it is.

You might want to restrict posting for the first month, and only let everyone
read, so they get an idea of what's going on.  I'd also recommend omitting
alt.flame as needlessly provocative.

After a month enable posting but keep an eye on the amount for a month or
two.  I don't recommend being fascist and choosing who will and who won't
get net access - it's better to be fair and let all or none.

But be aware that the major cause of cyclical discussions on the net is
that there's a new crop of freshmen every fall, so it would be good if you
can make sure that they read new.announce.newusers as well.

jma%abel%manta.pha.pa.us%rutgers%mailrus.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Abrahamson):

	At MIT (where I was before here), anyone who had access to a
machine which ran news had access to all of usenet (as well as the
arpanet, etc.)  This includes, in particular, all undergraduates,
without exception.

ki4pv!tanner@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Dr. T. Andrews):

I think that you will probably find that no restrictions are placed
on reading the news.  You might do well to arrange for some sort of
fascist posting scheme, where a human reviews the potential postings
from students before they go out at large.

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James):

	As far as I know, there are no policies restricting usage here or
at my previous school.  (of course, UK had a significant restriction in
that the machines with access to usenet were hard to get accounts on.)

ficc!peter@uunet.UU.NET (Peter da Silva):

We give everyone access to comp, news, and two local hierarchies.

Bennett Todd <bet@orion.mc.duke.edu>:

When we set up a large UNIX system for campus-wide access I was the
system administrator at the time. I used the FASCIST option in Bnews
2.11 to allow me to set things up so that users were forbidden to post
to groups that went off-machine unless they were in a special database
(/usr/lib/news/authorized, as I recall). I then arranged the news
installation so that it announced, when things (like posting to
unauthorized groups) bombed, that the users should contact me via
E-mail. I arranged (as described in the Bnews 2.11 documentation) to
have the introductory documents be the first three articles in
"general", which we don't expire, and which comes first in everyone's
.newsrc by default. Finally, when users sent me mail asking why they
couldn't post, I sent them a form letter response. It explained that I
had disabled posting for everyone not specifically authorized to allow
me to ensure that before participating in this world-wide community
people learned how it worked, and how to give a good impression of
themselves and our institution. I offered three choices for getting
access to posting to USENET:

	1) Summerize in their own words the contents of the
   	   "How to Use USENET Effectively" article (which I explained
           was article #2 in "general")

	2) Propose an alternative test for users to indicate that they
	   know their way around USENET

	3) Convince me that having such a barrier in place is
	   inappropriate.

Finally, I encouraged them to send me mail whenever they had
difficulties with the system, and encouraged them in particular to
consider mailing me any elementary questions they might have rather
than posting them to the net.

I never got the faintest whisper of a complaint; people seemed to be
appreciative of a tightly-run, well-supported system. Also, the burden
wasn't too great; although we have a campus of some 20,000 students
who could have gotten logins if they wished them, we only have some
800 accounts, and only 23 users have requested permission to post to
USENET. This is after some 3 or 4 years.

While we haven't finalized our policy, we at least have a great wealth
of information/experience to draw upon.  Thanx again....:-)
--
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu