[news.sysadmin] Powering down machines

vespa@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Adam Margulies) (03/21/89)

	I am a newly hired sysadmin at a company that "as a matter of
policy" powers down its machines every night. I am looking for
people's views on the effects this has, if any, on equipment.

Please mail me and I will summarize to the net.

adam
I said, type it NOW, Adam!  ||_   /| ||Adam Margulies                         |
                          \ ||\`o_O' ||INTERNET:  vespa@ssyx.ucsc.edu         |
                            ||  ( )  ||UUCP:      ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!vespa |
----------------------------||--mU-m-||ATT:       (408)429-8868               |
|DISCLAIMER: These are not my opinions. They are my dog's.                    |

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (03/24/89)

In article <6743@saturn.ucsc.edu>, vespa@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Adam Margulies) writes:

> 	I am a newly hired sysadmin at a company that "as a matter of
> policy" powers down its machines every night. I am looking for
> people's views on the effects this has, if any, on equipment.

At Westmark, we support about 50 machines under service contracts.
Machines that are left up and running 24 hours per day tend to be
more reliable (i.e. have more hours between failures).  Cooling down
and warming up a machine ages it faster than letting it run.

Preventive maintenance, however, like cleaning air filters and
lubricating moving parts, seems to be required more often if the
machine is kept on.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

heiby@mcdchg.chi.il.us (Ron Heiby) (03/28/89)

In addition to hardware related issues involved in shutting down
systems over night, be sure to take a look at all the things that
normally get done by "cron" in the middle of the night.  You'll
have to reconfigure things to happen sometime during the day, when
they will be competing for cpu cycles with people trying to get
their work done.  Much fun.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.chi.il.us	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Life is indeed an inexplicable sequence of imponderable surprises."