[news.sysadmin] Garbled article

campbell@redsox.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (03/22/89)

The article whose header is reproduced below arrived here in incredibly
bad shape;  it looks like someone's system is very, very ill.  For starters,
take a look at the Path:, Message-ID:, and Organization: lines.

Any comments from news admins at hosts along the path?

| From: muller@bunter.dg.com (Woody Muller)
| Newsgroups: news.groups,news.misc
| Subject: Brad Re-opens the JEDR Wars to Scrutiny
| Date: 20 Mar 89 15:29:39 GMT

Here is a sample of some of the article's body:

| I aylo.rran the aame thing on Maple, with 120 digits of precision: Maple agrecs
| withtMathematica and Sferf.  I gu es I belienesit unless they all ad mhe dranangorithm:-).
| Neil
| #! rnews 1622eP th: oliveboames!pasteur!ucbvex!(csfcgl!cca.ucsf.IfI!daedaus,p!hjelle
| From: hjelle@daedaus,p (Brian Hjelle)
| Newsgroups: talkRpolitics.misc,ca.politics,misc.headlines,ca.general
| Subject: The Sky is Fin a
|  ng!
| Messaga-ID: <1761@ucsfcca.ucsfy;yte: 20 Mar 89 17:01:32 GMT
| Refarences: <2748@megatest.UUCP> <1721@ucsfcca.ucsf.IfI> <2635@garth.UUCP> <1064@isieng.UUCP> <1105@optilink.UUCP>
| Sendrr: root@cca.ucsf.IfI
| ReDistribation: ca

... it goes on ...
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street

news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (03/23/89)

~
~Any comments from news admins at hosts along the path?
~

I got some garbled news from them, and I suspected the oliveb -> ames link.
This probably means that oliveb or ames probably had a major disk
crash, or is about to... How about it, oliveb and ames (if you can even
read this message :-)?
--
-Todd Day-
Internet: todd%ivucsb.UUCP@anise.acc.com

schoch@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Steve Schoch) (03/28/89)

Ames is healthy and hasn't had any disk crashes lately.  I don't
know about oliveb.  The article is corrupted at ames in the same
way as how you posted it.  I don't know how it is at oliveb.

	Steve

jerry@olivey.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (03/29/89)

Oliveb did suffer disk problems and the news has now been moved to
another drive.