[news.sysadmin] CALL FOR VOTE, COMP.INTERNET.ADDR AND COMP.INTERNET

netnews@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Robert M. Sklar) (03/13/89)

	With the growing number of machines that are part of the Internet,
and the fact that such machines have to have their name and node numbers
to be reached on the internet, I am making a proposal that a Internet group
be created.

comp.internet	General Internet related discussions of interest
comp.internet.addr - simular to comp.mail.maps where a monthly posting of the
most up to date hosts table would be published and changed in Internet address
can be posted throughout the month.

Any and all feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Part of the reason I even suggest this is we have had problems in the delay
factor fo a university or organization changing their Internet address and
the time it takes for others to find this out, while mail, news, etc is
spooling up for days even weeks.

--
Robert M. Sklar - Network News Administrator @ CU-Denver
UUCP: {whatever}!boulder!pikes!netnews  rsklar@pikes.colorado.edu

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (03/13/89)

In article <2078@pikes.Colorado.EDU> netnews@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Robert M. Sklar) writes:
>comp.internet	General Internet related discussions of interest

If you think there is a need, why don't you create it as an internet
mailing list?  When it succeeds, you can try convincing Erik Fair that
it deservese an inet distribution newsgroup.

>comp.internet.addr - simular to comp.mail.maps where a monthly posting of the
>most up to date hosts table would be published and changed in Internet address
>can be posted throughout the month.

Definitly not needed.  Hosts with reasonbly modern software use the domain
name system, and have no need to bother humans with this dribble.  Hosts
with ancient software (that should upgrade, but havn't for some reason)
should fetch HOSTS.TXT from sri-nic.arpa as frequently as they feel the
need.  This file only contains the 6000 or so hosts that want to be
listed.

You seem to have missed the required discussion period, I assume you meant
"call for discussion" rather than call for votes.

--
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson

wisner@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Bill Wisner) (03/13/89)

(Robert M. Sklar)

Read comp.protocols.tcp-ip, which is gatewayed with TCP-IP@SRI-NIC.ARPA.

>comp.internet.addr - simular to comp.mail.maps where a monthly posting of the
>most up to date hosts table would be published and changed in Internet address
>can be posted throughout the month.

Oh, my. "most up to date hosts table" is an oxymoron if ever there was one.
Host tables have been obsolete for some time now. If you're not using
nameservers for your address information you're *begging* to get hosed.

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (03/13/89)

In article <2078@pikes.Colorado.EDU> netnews@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Robert M. Sklar) writes:

>comp.internet	General Internet related discussions of interest
>comp.internet.addr - simular to comp.mail.maps where a monthly posting of the
>most up to date hosts table would be published and changed in Internet address
>can be posted throughout the month.

Gee, the NIC gave this up themselves because of the volume.  There are
over 60,000 sites reachable by IP on the Internet, and that changes
quite a lot.  Let's see, assume a really simply name and number format:
foo.bar.com  129.200.92.100
That's about 30 characters per site (excluding aliases and network
info) times 60,000 sites -- over 1.8Mb per month.  And that isn't even addressing
the fact that there is no one place that contains all that info in a form that could
be posted.

>Part of the reason I even suggest this is we have had problems in the delay
>factor fo a university or organization changing their Internet address and
>the time it takes for others to find this out, while mail, news, etc is
>spooling up for days even weeks.

That's a good reason to be using nameserver software.  Updates are effectively
instantaneous when this is done correctly.

Obviously, I think the groups are unneeded and impractical.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (03/13/89)

netnews@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Robert M. Sklar) writes:
> I am making a proposal that a Internet group [actually 2 groups] be created.

	First, the manditory technical quibble -- there hasn't been any
discussion about this yet, so it's premature to call for a vote.

> comp.internet	General Internet related discussions of interest

	A lot of this sort of thing already goes on in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.
You could argue that this is the wrong place, but I havn't seen people
screaming that talking about stuff that isn't strictly related to the tcp-ip
protocol doesn't belong there.

> comp.internet.addr - simular to comp.mail.maps where a monthly posting of
> the most up to date hosts table would be published and changed in Internet
> address can be posted throughout the month.

	Isn't this what the whole domain/nameserver system is all about, i.e.
that nobody should ever have to have a complete, up-to-date, host table?
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (03/14/89)

In article <2078@pikes.Colorado.EDU> netnews@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Robert M. Sklar) writes:

>	With the growing number of machines that are part of the Internet,
>and the fact that such machines have to have their name and node numbers
>to be reached on the internet, I am making a proposal that a Internet group
>be created.
>
>comp.internet	General Internet related discussions of interest
>comp.internet.addr - simular to comp.mail.maps where a monthly posting of the
>most up to date hosts table would be published and changed in Internet address
>can be posted throughout the month.

No. This will not work, and you also should not want to do it.

First off, any discussions of the Internet fall in line nicely with
comp.protocols.tcp-ip. That newsgroup is gatewayed to the Internet
TCP/IP mailing list. That is where most discussions about the Internet
are held, except the ones by the IETF (Internet Engineering Task
Force), which are generally held on IETF-specific mailing lists which
are not gatewayed to the USENET.

Second, there are probably >100,000 hosts on the Internet. I think
you'll be unhappy about the volume of this proposed group if it
succeeds (which it won't, for reasons third and fourth below).

Third, there exists no central list of hosts on the Internet and no
way to require new hosts to be listed on this group. That's because
there already exist mechanisms which the Internet uses to keep track
of such things.

Fourth, only hosts on the Internet need to know the IP addresses of
other hosts on the Internet to reach them. Hosts off the Internet
(much of the USENET) need only the names; they address whatever it is
to the appropriate name through some sort of USENET-to-Internet
gateway (generally, this is only done for mail) and that gateway
translates the name. The name translation is done via a distributed,
replicated database which is accessed by the Domain name protocol
described in various Internet RFC's. We've been doing this for several
years now; if a system doesn't implement this protocol, it doesn't
belong on the Internet.

Here's more info on this system for those who are curious:

The central host table got to be too big a long time ago; fortunately,
the problem was recognized in time and the transition was made. The
domains you see on the USENET (like asylum.sf.ca.us) are an echo of
the domains you see on the Internet. For machines that are exclusively
on the USENET, these domain names are reserved in the Internet domain
namespace, but have only entries saying "forward all mail for this
domain-name to this other domain-name" (MX records).

The domain name database is distributed by breaking it up along the
dots in names. For instance, take xx.lcs.mit.edu. There is a name
server, which is replicated about five or six times (last time I
checked) which knows all the domains in .edu (same for .com, .gov,
.mil, .org, .net and others). It knows which computers are responsible
for providing name service for .mit.edu. There are several of these
computers; they know which other computers are responsible for
.lcs.mit.edu. You carry this on as far as you need, and you end up
with the responsiblity and burden of dealing registering host names
and maintaining host tables falling on the people who own the hosts,
rather than a central authority.

The name server approach used by the Internet is not directly
applicable to the USENET, because on the USENET you can only talk to
your neighbors, making it diffcult to set up distributed servers in
this fashion. If the USENET continues to grow, which I expect it to,
despite rumours of its imminent death, eventually the maps which are
distirbuted over comp.mail.maps will become too burdensome for many
systems to deal with, and I expect that some sort of reorganization
will occur in order to deal with it. One of the interesting things
about the USENET (in a network sense rather than a content sense) is
that these changes tend to occur in an organic, evolutionary way.

Anyhow, comp.internet.addr is a bad idea and shouldn't be bothered
with. The other group, comp.internet, might be useful for a more
general discussion of the world wide internet of which the Internet is
but a part, but this is usually covered in the various comp.mail
groups, and a group with that intenet would be best named
comp.worldnet or comp.matrix.
--
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (03/27/89)

In article <15805@oberon.USC.EDU> blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) writes:
>Hosts with ancient software (that should upgrade, but havn't for some reason)
>should fetch HOSTS.TXT from sri-nic.arpa as frequently as they feel the
>need.  This file only contains the 6000 or so hosts that want to be
>listed.

WRONG. The HOSTS.TXT file contains those that MUST be listed, not those
that want to be listed. New domains in the internet must have name servers.
These MUST appear in HOSTS.TXT. Others do not. Most sites CANNOT have their
hosts listed in HOSTS.TXT because the NIC is trying to keep the size down.

Old time networks (MIT, Berkeley, Stanford) have a large number of listings
because they were there first. It would be great if those sites would
ask the NIC to remove unneeded host entries so that the overall size of
HOSTS.TXT would be smaller and would in fact list those critical sites only.

Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Baylor College of Medicine
Olan           uucp: {rice,killer,hoptoad}!academ!sob
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine.

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (03/28/89)

In article <1466@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
> WRONG. The HOSTS.TXT file contains those that MUST be listed, not those
> that want to be listed. New domains in the internet must have name servers.
> These MUST appear in HOSTS.TXT. Others do not. Most sites CANNOT have their
> hosts listed in HOSTS.TXT because the NIC is trying to keep the size down.

Sorry, but nameservers have no need to be listed in HOSTS.TXT.  The
root nameservers will spit out information records with the nameserver
addresses when responding to an NS query.  A nameserver-based system
can get by without ever looking at HOSTS.TXT.

Essentially, HOSTS.TXT contains hosts that are there by inertia and
hosts that people on (mostly) MILNET sites with old software would
raise a fuss about if they could no longer reach....  [1/2 :-)]
--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US		uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (03/28/89)

If you attempt to register a name server for a second level domain (i.e.
UMD.EDU), the machine in question must be registered in their database.
The HOSTS.TXT file is simply an extract from that database which is used
for other things as well (such as constructing the root name server zone
files).

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

NU021172@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Marty Hoag) (03/29/89)

   I would not favor the comp.internet.addr group as I too believe
it would give people a false sense of the hosts.txt being useful.  It is
only useful in the sense of a last resort...  The domain name servers
should always be used first.

   However, as a "postmaster" I would like a place to find out about
known wedged systems, etc.  Recently I spent some days trying to figure
out why mail was not getting to one host only to find out their software
had been on the fritz for a couple weeks.  I suspect some "neighbors"
already knew that but neither hostmaster nor other sources I tried
knew what had happened.

   For general host queries there is the Info-Nets list (not sure what
if any group that is gatewayed with).  Is there such a group to post
announcements of outages or queries as to the health of internet systems?

             Marty

-----------
Marty Hoag
ND Higher Education Computer Network    US Mail: NDSU Computer Center
Phone: (701)-237-8639                            PO Box 5164 / UCCS
Bitnet:   NU021172@NDSUVM1    (NOTE 0 = ZERO)    Fargo, ND  58105
Internet: NU021172@VM1.NoDak.EDU
UUCP:    ...!uunet!ndsuvax!vm1.nodak.edu!NU021172

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (03/30/89)

In article <2084NU021172@NDSUVM1> NU021172@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Marty Hoag) writes:
>Is there such a group to post
>announcements of outages or queries as to the health of internet systems?

   Yes, there is. It's called "news.config".

--Greg

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (04/03/89)

In article <209@jetson.UPMA.MD.US> john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) writes:

>Sorry, but nameservers have no need to be listed in HOSTS.TXT.  The
>root nameservers will spit out information records with the nameserver
>addresses when responding to an NS query.  A nameserver-based system
>can get by without ever looking at HOSTS.TXT.
>
>Essentially, HOSTS.TXT contains hosts that are there by inertia and
>hosts that people on (mostly) MILNET sites with old software would
>raise a fuss about if they could no longer reach....  [1/2 :-)]

I never said that nameservers needed to be listed for name servers to find
them. If that was implied, it was bad writing on my part. What I meant to
say was that the NIC only allows "important" hosts like nameservers to be
listed in HOSTS.TXT. I hope I was clear in expressing that.

Hosts on MILNET are not the only ones running old software unfortunately.
Some sites still use 4.1BSD-style networking. :-)

Imagine what will happen when sri-nic.arpa stops being a valid name or
alias for the NIC computer!