[news.sysadmin] expire line abuse

root@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Admin) (03/30/89)

     In investigating why articles were not being expired, I discovered the
following - all by an individual who has set expire lines for length of times
from two months to two years. I see nothing in the articles that would seem
to make them "important" enough to occupy disk resources on machines all over
the place for any abnormal length of time. A summary of these articles is
included below - in some cases, the entire article in included. This will
give you all the message id numbers so the articles can be properly handled.
If this continues, I will probably set articles by this person to expire in
0 days.

                                                        Charlie Boykin
                                                        ..killer!root
---

> [...]
|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: BEST OF GROUCHO?
|Date: 22 Feb 89 23:34:28 GMT
|Expires: 12 Dec 89 06:00:00 GMT
|

|                 DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY SHOW THE OLD TV SHOW "BEST OF GROUCHO
|ANYMORE.I REALLY ENJOYED IT.
|
|Newsgroups: misc.taxes
|Subject: Social Security Payments Really Taxes?
|Date: 24 Feb 89 14:19:27 GMT
|Expires: 15 Apr 89 06:00:00 GMT
|
|Newsgroups: rec.sport.baseball
|Subject: The Expert 1989 Predictions
|Date: 24 Feb 89 23:41:02 GMT
|Expires: 31 Oct 89 06:00:00 GMT
|
|Newsgroups: rec.gardens
|Subject: Dividing an Amaryllis Plant
|Date: 8 Feb 89 21:28:36 GMT
|Expires: 30 Jun 89 05:00:00 GMT

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.games.video
|Subject: BEST TYPE OF VHS CASSETTE?
|Date: 18 Feb 89 00:10:19 GMT
|Expires: 26 Dec 89 06:00:00 GMT
|

| I was wondering if anyone knew the best kind of VHS blank video cassette to    purchase?

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: LAUREL & HARDY FAN CLUB
|Date: 19 Feb 89 20:55:39 GMT
|Expires: 31 Dec 89 06:00:00 GMT
|

| I was wondering if anyone new the andress to send for information on a Laurel & Hardy fan club.I here it is called SONS OF THE DESERT.
|
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: Python,Other Series
|Date: 21 Feb 89 06:54:26 GMT
|Expires: 30 Jun 89 05:00:00 GMT

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: Charlie Chaplin - Groucho Marx
|Date: 22 Jan 89 01:56:54 GMT
|Expires: 31 Dec 89 06:00:00 GMT
|
|I'm interested in collectables on either Charlie Chaplin or the Marx Bros.
|
|Also interested in fan clubs on both.  Already know about "The Fredonia
|Gazette" and  the "Marx Brotherhood".
|:wq

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: Sound Films
|Date: 13 Feb 89 03:38:06 GMT
|Expires: 8 Sep 89 05:00:00 GMT
|

| What was the year of the first sound film and what was the title?
|
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: Marx Brotherhood and Freedonia Gazette
|Date: 25 Jan 89 04:30:28 GMT
|Expires: 30 Jun 89 05:00:00 GMT
|
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: James Bond Fan Club
|Date: 7 Feb 89 01:53:30 GMT
|Expires: 7 Sep 89 05:00:00 GMT

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: Does Bill Murray Speak French?
|Date: 22 Jan 89 02:01:29 GMT
|Expires: 30 Jun 89 05:00:00 GMT
|

| I was stationed in the Army in Germany.  I saw many American movies in
|German movie  theaters that  had  been dubbed in English.  They had
|excellent "voice alikes".
|
|My son takes French in high-school.  He likes Bill Murray's movies, especially
|"Stripes" and "Meatballs".  There must be versions dubbed in French available
> [...]
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: Katherine Hepburne
|Date: 18 Mar 89 04:58:28 GMT
|Expires: 6 Sep 89 05:00:00 GMT
|

|           Can anyone tell me where to write to Katherine Hepburne?
|.
|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: WOODY ALLEN
|Date: 10 Feb 89 02:58:39 GMT
|Expires: 23 Jul 89 05:00:00 GMT
|

|          I was wondering where I might send a letter to Woody Allen.
|
|Newsgroups: alt.rock-n-roll
|Subject: Poison
|Date: 25 Feb 89 06:59:55 GMT
|Expires: 27 Apr 89 06:00:00 GMT

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: MICKEY ROONEY
|Date: 6 Feb 89 23:39:39 GMT
|Expires: 3 Jul 89 05:00:00 GMT
|

|    I am a Mickey Rooney fan and I was wondering if anyone knows where
|I could write him a letter.If you do please let me know.
|                                        P.J.C.
|

| ;wq
|:wq
|

|;wq

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: ALLAN ALDA
|Date: 8 Feb 89 00:19:33 GMT
|Expires: 9 Sep 89 05:00:00 GMT
|

|        Can anyone tell give me a list of Allan Alda's films?

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
|Subject: MTV
|Date: 19 Feb 89 01:42:54 GMT
|Expires: 30 May 89 05:00:00 GMT
|

|            Does anyone know what happened to vee-jay Carolyn Heldman?
|She just sort of disappeared after last summer. What does everyone think of
|Deja Video? I thought Closet Classics Capsule was much better.

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: Joe Franklin
|Date: 10 Feb 89 03:21:03 GMT
|Expires: 9 Sep 89 05:00:00 GMT
|

|              I was wondering if anyone knows where to write to Joe Franklin?

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: soc.culture.esperanto
|Subject: Translate This !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|Date: 29 Jan 89 05:37:51 GMT
|Expires: 30 Jun 89 05:00:00 GMT

|         kjkukjdlkjkd.  fhh    JjJJJgihgfjyywwe!!!                                     fumii  c^gretshitooo nodeodieiuiurur                                        frelakslamerandgfgdgyryryrij!!!!!!  Cocktoastendede ojojogfhff    trede.Tredfwsascnbsng kggffgfghfhtdjfkjkjfkkjdkjk;jddfkjdjfucknnndndnddener . Byeo!!!!!!!!

|From: pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE)
|Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
|Subject: Chaplin
|Date: 10 Feb 89 03:30:47 GMT
|Expires: 8 May 89 05:00:00 GMT
|

| Does anyone have any Charlie Chaplin films on tape from TV or elsewhere
|that they would be willing to sell?I am a fan of Chaplin but hardly ever seem tofind his films anywhere.I already have all of the films he made for "Mutual".

wisner@shadooby.cc.umich.edu (Bill Wisner) (03/31/89)

HEY, RICHARD! DID YOU SEE THIS? BIFF IS BACK!

jiii@visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) (04/01/89)

I also took a look at the spool directory today and found meagabytes of
"trash" articles containing an Expires: line.  Many were to expire
April 1.

Note that the -i option argument to expire(8) will prevent this problem
while still allowing a SHORTER expiration time to be specified.
--
John E Van Deusen III, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707, (208) 343-1865

uunet!visdc!jiii

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (04/05/89)

From article <7704@killer.Dallas.TX.US>, by root@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Admin):

>      In investigating why articles were not being expired, I discovered the
> following - all by an individual who has set expire lines for length of times
> from two months to two years.

[about 500 lines deleted]

set flame

Why was it necessary to include the contents of all those articles just to
illustrate the silly expiry dates? Surely a bit of editing would have left
us with just the "Expires:" lines instead of adding to net congestion.

unset flame

Why not set your "expire" to ignore explicit expiry dates? The -I option
does this. Unless maybe you have some articles which really need to be kept
for a long time. I adopt a more fascist approach and expire *everything*
older than 31 days, with      expire -I -e 31

Andy

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, ENGLAND
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac