[news.sysadmin] The sys file

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (04/08/89)

I am having trouble completely understanding the following syntax of the sys
file:

mysite:world,all,to::
site1/site2,site3:world,all,!local,!to,to.site1:F:
site1/site2:world,all,!local,!to,to.site1:IF:
site2/site1,site3:world,all,!local,!to,to.site2:F:
site3/site2,site1:world,all,!local,!to,to.site3:F:
site4:world,all,!local,!to,to.site4:F:
site5:world,all,!local,!to,to.site5:F:
site6/site2,site1:world,all,!local,!to,to.site6:F:
site7:world,all,!local,!to,to.site7:F:

site1/site2,site3:world,all,!local,!to,to.site1:F:
      ^^^^^^^^^^^

What does this actually do? I have RTFM, and (I'm sorry), I still do not
completely understand it.

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (04/10/89)

From article <198951@hrc.UUCP>, by dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel):

> I am having trouble completely understanding the following syntax of the sys
> file:
>
> site1/site2,site3:world,all,!local,!to,to.site1:F:
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> What does this actually do? I have RTFM, and (I'm sorry), I still do not
> completely understand it.

As I understand TFM (yes it's hard, I know :-) this means that when you send
news to other sites, articles would only be sent to "site1" if they had not
already been thru "site2" and "site3" when they made their way to your site
in the first place. Presumably inews checks the Path: of an article for this
information. I think this syntax is used mainly to help prevent your site
receiving duplicate articles if you have multiple newsfeeds.

Andy
--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, ENGLAND
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

news@wa4mei.UUCP (USENET admin) (04/10/89)

In article <198951@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:

>I am having trouble completely understanding the following syntax of the sys
>file:
>
>mysite:world,all,to::
>site1/site2,site3:world,all,!local,!to,to.site1:F:
> . . .
>
>site1/site2,site3:world,all,!local,!to,to.site1:F:
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>What does this actually do? I have RTFM, and (I'm sorry), I still do not
>completely understand it.

The inclusion of '/site2,site3' on the line after 'site1'
line prevent the sending of news messages to the 'site1'
that have originated or come through 'site2 or site3'.  This
is used to prevent 'mysite' from sending news to 'site1'
that 'mysite' gets from 'site2 or site3' in the case where
'site1' also gets news from 'site2 & site3'. In other words
this is used for sites that get multiple feeds.

I hope that didn't present this with twisted logic.

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217