From: Jim O'Connor <jim@tiamat.fsc.com>
To: pthiesse@jarthur.claremont.edu
Date: Sun Apr  9 19:47:19 1989

To: pthiesse@jarthur.Claremont.EDU
Subject: Re: How to get news to create a list of map filenames?
News-Path: uunet!jarthur!pthiesse

> Hello.
>   How do I get my news system to create a file which in turn will hold the
> filenames of the comp.mail.maps articles? I have a program to unpack the
> maps which depends on such a filename list.

Here's how mine is set up:

uucpmaps:world,comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/lib/smail/maps/work/batch

Thus, your log file should start reporting that it is sending articles to the
site "uucpmaps" (which is not really a site).  Change the last field according
to the file you want the list in, and make sure the file/directory is writable
by the user that owns "rnews", since it's setuid.  Only thing to watch out for
is to make sure you use the filenames in the file before comp.mail.maps gets
expired.

Good luck.
---
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***
From: Ed Clarke <acheron!bywater!clarke@uunet.uucp>
To: pthiesse@jarthur.claremont.edu

pthiesse@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Paul Thiessen):
>   How do I get my news system to create a file which in turn will hold the
> filenames of the comp.mail.maps articles? I have a program to unpack the
> maps which depends on such a filename list.

Simple, just add the following to your 'sys' file:

UUMAP:world,comp.mail.maps:F:

This will batch up incoming articles to '/usr/spool/batch/UUMAP'.  The file
contains lines in the format:

/usr/spool/news/comp/mail/maps/4531
/usr/spool/news/comp/mail/maps/4532
/usr/spool/news/comp/mail/maps/4533

I recommend that you modify the 'sendbatch' shell script ( comes with the
news software ) to process your maps entries.  Among other things, this
script protects you from working with a corrupted file ( say more maps
come in while you're processing the last batch ).
From: ucdavis!csusac!utgard!chris@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
To: csusac!csun!psivax!uunet!jarthur!pthiesse@YMIR.BITNET
Newsgroups: news.sysadmin,news.admin

In article <782@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> you write:
>Hello.
>  How do I get my news system to create a file which in turn will hold the
>filenames of the comp.mail.maps articles? I have a program to unpack the
>maps which depends on such a filename list.

Put a line into your news "sys" file:

    maps:comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/local/lib/maps/maps/Batch

If your using "uuhosts" (which I think you are), then that
last field is wrong... /usr/local/lib/maps/maps/comp.mail.maps/Batch,
I think, for distribution.  I've hacked mine so long ago that I
can't remember.

What this does is make an entry into that batch file for each
incoming news file for comp.mail.maps.  uuhosts -unbatch can
then take it and do it's magic.

Hope this helps!  If you have any more questions, feel free to
write me.

Chris
--
| Chris Anderson                 email : pacbell!sactoh0!utgard!chris  |
| QMA, Inc.                    or : ...!csusac!fenris             |
From: Jean Marie Diaz <jdiaz@oracle.com>
Subject: How to get news to create a list of map filenames?
To: pthiesse@JARTHUR.CLAREMONT.EDU
Usnail: 2610 Monserat Ave., Belmont CA  94002
Phonenet: (415) 594-9268

Add the following to your sys file:

#
# send ourselves the maps
MAPS:world,comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/local/lib/news/maps/comp.mail.maps/Batch

                   AMBAR
ambar@oracle.com                 {uunet,pyramid}!oracle!ambar
From: davem@mondo.stpaul.mn.us
To: pthiesse@JARTHUR.CLAREMONT.EDU
Newsgroups: news.sysadmin,news.admin

In article <782@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> you write:
>  How do I get my news system to create a file which in turn will hold the
>filenames of the comp.mail.maps articles? I have a program to unpack the
>maps which depends on such a filename list.

How about

maps:world,na,usa,comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/spool/news/Maps/comp.mail.maps/Batch

Works for me.

    Dave
--
Dave Marquardt
davem@mondo.stpaul.mn.us
From: Richard Greenall <@MUDDCS.CLAREMONT.EDU:berner!richard@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: Create maps file listing
To: pthiesse@JARTHUR.CLAREMONT.EDU

The following line when added to your news sys file, will
create a file with the maps file names in it called /tmp/maps

#
# For the uucp map
#
uucp_map:world,!world.all,comp.mail.maps\
        :F:/tmp/maps

                        Richard Greenall
                            Richard@berner.uucp
From: Netnews Administrator <mcgp1!newsadm@uunet.uucp>
To: pthiesse@jarthur.claremont.edu
News-Path: ssc!pilchuck!dataio!uw-entropy!uw-june!uw-beaver!cornell!mailrus!ames!lll-winken!uunet!jarthur!pthiesse

Paul,

Here's the sys file entry I use to do just what you want:

  UUMAPS:world,na,usa,pnw,seattle,!pnw.all,!seattle.all,comp.mail.maps:U:\
  (cd /usr/lib/smail/maps ; echo %s >>maps)

The file /usr/lib/smail/maps/maps contains the full path names of all articles
that have come in to comp.mail.maps, one entry per line.

Hope this helps.

				John Opalko

				uunet!nwnexus!thebes!mcgp1!jgo

PAUL THIESSEN, Harvey Mudd College                ...!uunet!jarthur!pthiesse
pthiesse@jarthur.claremont.edu                       pthiessen@hmcvax.bitnet