[news.sysadmin] News of the

aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) (05/14/89)

[Here is a copy of a message being sent out on said list.  If you've
been trying to join (and faced the black hole my mailer created), this
should explain things.]

Sigh.  I have kept up hope that around every corner will be less work
to do, and I would have more free time to spend with this list.  Such
has not been the case, and I can see that around the next few corners
there will definitely be *more* work, so I feel I should give up the
editorship of the list.  Strange as it sounds, it's hard to find an hour
a week to put everything together.  Between teaching, research,
consulting, writing, and non-work related things my life is just too
full, and getting more so.

I have really enjoyed working with the list, and wish I had more time
(past, present, and future).

So... are there any volunteers to take over the list? (Not that it
really only takes an hour a week, but that's probably a good minimum.)

This will be the last issue I send out.  I will post a message in
news.sysadmin when someone has come forth, so that the event will
be widely distributed (unlike some issues of the list!).  Perhaps
the list should be pared down to a smaller size of "really important
people" with the net and the other list taking over.  At any rate,
there's the archives to place somewhere, etc.  I believe news.sysadmin
is the most appropriate place to carry on this discussion, and I will
post a copy of this message there as well.  I'll take part in the
discussion time permitting, but this should be considered my official
farewell...

neil@zardoz.UUCP (Neil Gorsuch) (05/19/89)

In article <2533@isis.UUCP> aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) writes:
>This will be the last issue I send out.  I will post a message in
>news.sysadmin when someone has come forth, so that the event will
>be widely distributed (unlike some issues of the list!).  Perhaps
>the list should be pared down to a smaller size of "really important
>people" with the net and the other list taking over.  At any rate,
>there's the archives to place somewhere, etc.

I am the administrator of the ongoing, well established unix security
mailing list hosted on zardoz (cpd.com) that has been joined by over
400 sites in the last 6 months, and has sent out 21 digests so far
this year.  Some of the "sites" are expansions for larger areas,
including one for an entire continent.  I would have assumed that
Andrew Burt would have sent the archives to me, but I haven't seen
them yet.  Perhaps a mail problem?  I use the NIC database and uucp
maps as a reference to help evaluate membership applications, and have
access to a respected security expert for unusual cases.

My primary goal is to provide a forum where system administrators and
other appropriate people can be informed of serious security dangers
BEFORE they become common knowledge.  A secondary goal is to provide
security enhancement information.  Most zardoz mailing list material
has been explanations of, and fixes for, specific security "holes".  I
DO NOT believe in security through obscurity, but I certainly don't
spread "cracking" methods to the world at large as soon as they become
known.  The zardoz list is, in my opinion, an excellent compromise
between the two ideas.  It is not intended for the discussion of
theoretical security techniques or "Should we thank Mr. Morris?" type
subjects, there is no need for secrecy regarding such matters, and
appropriate usenet news groups already exist that serve those
purposes.  It is, however, appropriate to post security checkup
programs and scripts, and specific security enhancement methods to
this list in addition to the proper news groups.  I assume that the
readers of this list took a special effort to join, and would
appreciate appropriate material being sent via email so that they
don't have to sort through many news groups to "catch" everything.

zardoz is a Solbourne workstation with 43 uucp links, including uunet,
and is in the process of becoming part of the Internet.  Reliable
delivery is available to any bang path or internet address.  Each
mailing list destination can choose to receive either automatically
"reflected" postings of all received material, or moderated digests
that are sent out about once a week.  There is a seperate posting
address for emergencies that reflects the received material to the
entire mailing list without any intervention on my part.

I typically require that destinations have an interest in unix site
security, or are involved in adding security enhancement software to
unix, but I am flexible.  To apply for membership, send email from one
of the following or send email requesting that I contact one of the
following (please arrange the former, it saves me time):

1.	For uucp sites with a uucp map entry, the listed email contact,
	map entry writer, or root.
2.	For internet sites, the NIC "WHOIS" listed site contact, or root.

Please include the following:

1.	The uucp map entry and map name to find it in, or the WHOIS
	response from the NIC and the request handle.
2.	The actual email destination you want material sent to.  It
	can be a person or alias, but must be on the same machine
	that you use as a reference, or in a sub-domain of said machine.
3.	Whether you want immediate reflected postings, or the weekly
	moderated digests.
4.	The email address and voice phone number of the administrative
	contact if different from the above.
5.	The organization name, address, and voice phone number if not
	listed already.

Please don't do any of the following:

1.	send email from root on machine_17.basement.podunk_U.edu and
	expect that to be sufficient for membership.  With
	workstations being so prevalent, and being so EASY to "crack",
	root doesn't mean much these days.
2.	send email from root on the uucp map entry listed site
	toy-of-son and expect that to be sufficient.  If you would prefer
	material sent to a home machine, verify your credentials through
	one of the previously mentioned methods.
3.	send mail from a network that I don't have any way to verify,
	such as bitnet or others.  I can verify uucp and internet sites.
	Send me some way to verify your credentials if you can't use
	an appropriate listed uucp or internet site.
4.	send me mail saying I can verify your identity and credentials
	by telephoning a long distance number.  I will continue to donate
	the extra computer capacity required for sending and archiving
	this list, and I will continue to spend the money on the extra
	uucp/internet communication costs that this list requires, but I
	draw the line at spending money on voice long distance phone calls.
5.	send me an application request that involves a lot of time and
	special procedures for verification.  Please try to make my
	processing of your application an easy matter.

If you have sent in an application before, but have not been answered,
it was probably lost somewhere, so please try again.  I do eventually
answer all requests one way or the other, but the membership list
requests are sometimes not looked at for a week or two.  Like the time
last week when a news configuration error caused my email mailbox to
set a new personal record, 2925 entries :<}, or during the probable
upcoming flood of new application requests.  Thank you for your attention
(not one on my shorter postings :<} ), but the hour grows late, and I
must sign off.

Neil Gorsuch
( AKA security-request@cpd.com or uunet!zardoz!security-request )
(714) 546-1100