[news.sysadmin] I need an archive server program for UN*X

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (05/25/89)

I am an archive site for the Phoenix area, but wish to set up an archive
server though email. Is there a program already for this purpose out there?
I would like to use the same format that uunet uses. Such as:

	send help
	send comp.sources.games

ect., ect.

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (05/25/89)

In article <199691@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
: I am an archive site for the Phoenix area, but wish to set up an archive
: server though email. Is there a program already for this purpose out there?
: I would like to use the same format that uunet uses. Such as:
:
:       send help
:       send comp.sources.games

The server I run for my comp.archives database does this, albeit in a
primitive way. If you are interested, you can get the source (it is
all shell scripts) by sending the following commands to
twwells!comp-archives-server:

	path dan@hrc
	send help
	send db.serv.shar

You might also consider posting your request on comp.archives, that
being an appropriate place for it.

BTW, did you get my request for information about your archive?

---
Bill
{ uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill

send comp.archives postings to twwells!comp-archives
send comp.archives related mail to twwells!comp-archives-request

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (05/25/89)

In article <199691@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:

|I am an archive site for the Phoenix area, but wish to set up an archive
|server though email. Is there a program already for this purpose out there?
|I would like to use the same format that uunet uses. Such as:
|
|	send help
|	send comp.sources.games
|
|ect., ect.

	I also am looking for this type of information.

Thanks,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (05/25/89)

In article <199691@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:

>I am an archive site for the Phoenix area, but wish to set up an archive
>server though email. Is there a program already for this purpose out there?
>I would like to use the same format that uunet uses. Such as:

	I'd like to know what's available and where as well.  I have
a small archive in operation but I'm not on the internet and my system
does not allow anon uucp.  Reasonable restricted email is the only viable
alternative.  I have set up special UUCP links on request but they are a
problem.

Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (05/26/89)

In article <199691@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>I am an archive site for the Phoenix area, but wish to set up an archive
>server though email. Is there a program already for this purpose out there?
>I would like to use the same format that uunet uses. Such as:
>
>	send help
>	send comp.sources.games

I am also looking for archive server software.
i have sent mail to postmaster@uunet, but now one is home. I looked at the
twwells db.serv.shar, but was not that impressed (sorry). Is there anyone
out there that has mail server that would work with Xenix?

Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex!mgse!marks
bitnet:         marks%mgse@REX.CS.TULANE.EDU
internet:       marks%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu

kent@ssbell.UUCP (Kent Landfield) (05/27/89)

In article <524@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>In article <199691@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>|
>|I am an archive site for the Phoenix area, but wish to set up an archive
>|server though email. Is there a program already for this purpose out there?
>|I would like to use the same format that uunet uses. Such as:
>|
>|	send help
>|	send comp.sources.games
>|
>|ect., ect.
>
>	I also am looking for this type of information.

My goodness! Three requests in a week!

I have been running netlib written by Eric Grosse for the last year
with no problems. I originally got my copy from uunet (netlib.tar.Z)
but have recently retrieved a copy of the source from the research!netlib
server which is the home (??) of netlib.

To get a copy of the software:
	mail netlib@research.att.com
and include:
	send netlib source from misc
	send netlib-paper from misc
in the body of the message.

While your are at it, add a "send index" as well. :-)

I have my USENET sources archiver automatically generate indexes for
netlib to use in retieval requests for posted software.  I recommend
netlib to one and all... :-)

			-Kent+
----
Kent Landfield               UUCP:     kent@ssbell
Sterling Software FSG/IMD    INTERNET: kent%ssbell@uunet.uu.net
1404 Ft. Crook Rd. South     Phone:    (402) 291-8300
Bellevue, NE. 68005-2969     FAX:      (402) 291-4362

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (05/27/89)

In article <231@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
: I am also looking for archive server software.
: i have sent mail to postmaster@uunet, but now one is home. I looked at the
: twwells db.serv.shar, but was not that impressed (sorry). Is there anyone
: out there that has mail server that would work with Xenix?

No apologies necessary. It isn't supposed to be impressive, just
servicable. I needed some kind of a server, quickly. I wrote it as a
hack but it is serving me admirably. Its main feature is that it is
all shell scripts: it relies on existing tools and is easily
modifiable. The latter was especially important when I started, since
I didn't quite know what I wanted from a server.

Several thoughts apply here:

	1) Why re-invent the wheel?
	2) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
	3) Everything should be as simple as possible but no simpler.

---

Rich Salz sent me some server code which one of these days I'll
substitute for my own. After all, the code I have does have some
deficiencies. But in the mean time, my turtle powered, absymally
silly shell scripts will do me fine.

---