[news.sysadmin] An apology to the guys at novavax

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (06/13/89)

in message <1021@twwells.uucp> I wrote:
> (PS to South Florida admins: I have three other people who have
> stated tentative willingness to help foot the bill. If there are any
> others interested, let me know. The purpose of this is to give us
> some redundancy: we really only have one link, uflorida [thanks
> guys!], for news and when that goes we're stuck. Remember the recent
> outages?)

It has come to my attention that this looks like I'm cutting down the
guys at novavax. This was not my intention. The guys there are doing
a great job, feeding all of South Florida, and have established
themselves as the e-mail hub for the area.

Almost all news going into the net down here comes from novavax; much
of the mail also comes through their site.

Unfortunately, there are very few other routes into the area and none
of them, as far as I know, are high-volume links like the
novavax-uflorida one. When the inevitable happens and something goes
wrong, the newsfeed and mail get delayed. It would be very nice if
there were another route for news coming into the area. It would also
be nice to have another mail route to uunet so that hcx1 doesn't end
up having to take all the local mail destined for uunet and points
beyond. (Before I fudged my mail maps, almost all mail out of the
area either went novavax!uflorida or novavax!hcx1!uunet.)

Since I have an interest in keeping the flow of mail and news even, I
decided to do something about it: I decided to try to set up another
link, to uunet, through which I would take a feed and distribute it
to anyone who wants it. I would also publish a map entry showing the
route so that anyone who wanted to could send mail through the link.
Since I'm not rich and can't afford to run a feed through my uunet
link, I've been collecting information about costs and looking for
additional sponsors.

I'm truly sorry that my verbal clumsiness while doing that caused the
upset it did. I hope that the concerned parties have come to
understand what I'm trying to accomplish and that I'm not trying to
denigrate anyone.

---
Bill                    { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill
bill@twwells.com