[news.sysadmin] Official Legal Announcement regarding Apple's Source Code

postmaster@apple.com (Erik E. Fair) (06/14/89)

I have been asked to post the following announcement widely.

	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com

		NOTICE TO INTERNET AND USENET USERS

	It has been reported to Apple Computer, Inc. that a copy of
portions of its copyrighted source code, which were stolen, has been
posted on USENET.  This is to notify all users of USENET that Apple's
source code is copyrighted, contains valuable trade secrets and is
protected from unauthorized use or disclosure by law.  The copy of
Apple's source code placed on USENET was obtained illegally, without
Apple's consent or authorization.  Any copying or use of Apple's source
code constitutes willful copyright infringement and knowing possession
of stolen property, and may result in both civil and criminal
penalties.

	Apple has notified the appropriate authorities who are
investigating the theft of its source code.  In addition, Apple
directed its Legal Department to pursue remedies against anyone who
makes unauthorized use of its source code.  If you have any information
regarding unauthorized use of Apple's source code, please contact Ken
Moore at Apple Computer, Inc.

Ken Moore can be reached via
(408) 974-5584
moore2@applelink.apple.com
moore2%applelink.apple.com@apple.com
apple!applelink.apple.com!moore2

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (06/14/89)

In article <32402@apple.Apple.COM> moore2@applelink.apple.com writes:
>	It has been reported to Apple Computer, Inc. that a copy of
>portions of its copyrighted source code, which were stolen, has been
>posted on USENET.  This is to notify all users of USENET that Apple's

Can someone clue me in on exactly WHAT brought this on?
--
Michael R. Johnston
System Administrator                           rutgers!lilink!mikej

clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke/10240000) (06/14/89)

From article <32402@apple.Apple.COM>, by postmaster@apple.com (Erik E. Fair):
- I have been asked to post the following announcement widely.
- 	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com
- Apple's consent or authorization.  Any copying or use of Apple's source
- code constitutes willful copyright infringement and knowing possession
- of stolen property, and may result in both civil and criminal
- penalties.

While I'm perfectly willing to remove Apple's property, it would be nice
if you specified exactly what it is that I'm supposed to remove??  What
group did it get posted in, and what are the article numbers and subjects?

I mean really guy ... this is like saying "You did something naughty to me
and I'm gonna take you to court."  Be specific!
--
Ed Clarke
uunet!bywater!acheron!clarke

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (06/15/89)

In article <32402@apple.Apple.COM> moore2@applelink.apple.com writes:
	[ ... ]

| 		NOTICE TO INTERNET AND USENET USERS
|
| 	It has been reported to Apple Computer, Inc. that a copy of
| portions of its copyrighted source code, which were stolen, has been
| posted on USENET.  This is to notify all users of USENET that Apple's
| source code is copyrighted, contains valuable trade secrets and is
| protected from unauthorized use or disclosure by law.  The copy of
| Apple's source code placed on USENET was obtained illegally, without
| Apple's consent or authorization.  Any copying or use of Apple's source
| code constitutes willful copyright infringement and knowing possession
| of stolen property, and may result in both civil and criminal
| penalties.

  Whoever wrote this seems unconcerned with the bad feelings it might
engender. Not a polite note saying "Some of our code was posted without
permission, if you find copyrighted Apple code please delete it." Not a
list of article numbers and the groups to which they were posted.
Instead a naked threat of legal action, without any indication of what
it is we are asked, or rather ordered, to find and delete.

  To post a notice which is threatening and arrogant is a good way to
insure that no one goes beyond their legal obligation to assist the
threatening company. This lack of tact is unprofessional and
counterproductive.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (06/15/89)

<
<	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com
<
<
<		NOTICE TO INTERNET AND USENET USERS
<
<	It has been reported to Apple Computer, Inc. that a copy of
<portions of its copyrighted source code, which were stolen, has been
<posted on USENET.  [...]

I hate to sound a little dumb, but what the Hell was stolen, ie, what
was the name or what did the program do?

What good is it to say that something has been stolen without describing
the stolen item.

This posting lost me.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,) (06/15/89)

From article <2073@astroatc.UUCP>, by brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot):
> In article <32402@apple.Apple.COM> moore2@applelink.apple.com writes:
> <I have been asked to post the following announcement widely.
> <	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com
> <		NOTICE TO INTERNET AND USENET USERS
> <	It has been reported to Apple Computer, Inc. that a copy of
> <portions of its copyrighted source code, which were stolen, has been
> <posted on USENET.  [...]
>
> I hate to sound a little dumb, but what the Hell was stolen, ie, what
> was the name or what did the program do?
>
> What good is it to say that something has been stolen without describing
> the stolen item.

(Assuming the validity of other postings...  a sometimes dangerous activity)

Someone received a disk which claimed to contain source code to Apple Mac
ROMS.  (Color QuickDraw, I think, and other ROM software.)  The (self-styled?)
nuPromethius League claimed "credit" saying "we at Apple" are doing this
to make it easier for clone-makers.  They promised version 7.) of the OS
when they could get it, along with other Apple software.

Naturally, Apple frowns on this.  Hence the stongly worded note.

Personally, I see no evidence on my system that any such source was
posted to netnews.  No source, no cancel messages, no gaps in
article sequence numbers...  I don't think anything was posted to
the net.

One person proposed the "Reichstag Fire" theory... namely that Apple
themselves "leaked" some innocuous source to lay the legal groundwork
for challenging any Mac clones.  (See comp.sys.mac.programmer, among
other groups, for the original articles.)

I gather that Mac clones are immenent.  This brouhaha seems to put a
severe legal damper on release of such clones -- the clonemakers will
now have to prove they *didn't* have access to Apple source.  I see the
potential for nasty copyright battles, possibly putting "look and feel"
to shame.

[An interesting theory --  an "attack" leak.]
--
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

ken@capone.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (06/16/89)

In article <2928@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,) writes:

>I gather that Mac clones are immenent.  This brouhaha seems to put a
>severe legal damper on release of such clones -- the clonemakers will
>now have to prove they *didn't* have access to Apple source.  I see the
>potential for nasty copyright battles, possibly putting "look and feel"
>to shame.

If you're not a lawyer, don't reply to this...too many people think
they know the law and don't...

Last time I read legal theory, you were innocent until proven guilty
beyond a reasonable shadow...and all that.

Is it not incumbent upon Apple, in a suit, to prove that a clone-maker
DID have access to the source, and not the responsability of the clone-
maker to prove he didn't??  What am I missing here?

In any case, is it not true that companies like Chips and Technologies
have established precident that it IS possible to clone something exactly
(bug-for-bug) without access to proprietary material?

	...ken seefried iii
	   ken@gatech.edu
	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken@gatech.edu		masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl, unmvax,
	                      ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (06/16/89)

>[An interesting theory --  an "attack" leak.]

That is an interesting theory.  Take this into account: The creator type of
the new '32-bit Quickdraw' startup document is LEAK.  No kidding.
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

dwb@sticks.apple.com (David W. Berry) (06/16/89)

In article <881@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>>[An interesting theory --  an "attack" leak.]
>
>That is an interesting theory.  Take this into account: The creator type of
>the new '32-bit Quickdraw' startup document is LEAK.  No kidding.
	Couldn't possibly because the programmer's name is Bruce Leak
could it?

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry		(A/UX Toolbox Engineer)
dwb@apple.com		973-5168@408.MaBell		AppleLink: berry1

mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (06/17/89)

In article <841@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>If you're not a lawyer, don't reply to this...too many people think
>they know the law and don't...

I'm not a lawyer, but I know enough about the law to know that
you can't stop me from replying.  :-)

>Last time I read legal theory, you were innocent until proven guilty
>beyond a reasonable shadow...and all that.
>
>Is it not incumbent upon Apple, in a suit, to prove that a clone-maker
>DID have access to the source, and not the responsability of the clone-
>maker to prove he didn't??  What am I missing here?

This is true in theory.  The problem is, you don't have to prove that
you have a case before you can sue.  It is quite possible for someone
with 'deep pockets' to sue, sue, sue, and sue, until the less
well-heeled victim is bankrupted by legal fees, and it doesn't make a
shred of difference how innocent the victim is.  Apple is one of the
major offenders in this particular kind of harrasment.  Nothing would
give me a bigger belly-laugh than to see them get bit back in a big way.
--
Mike Van Pelt                     Help stamp out Mickey-Mouse
Headland Technology/Video 7          computer interfaces --

timk@egvideo.UUCP (Tim Kuehn) (06/19/89)

*Apple, in the throes of a violent renaissance, is trying to through some
*If apple keeps all of this nonsense up, they will continue to spiral
*lost and out of control.  They will keep trying to hold anyone up
*who get anywhere close to them so that they won't have to play to in
*the R&D race.  And in a little while, they will be left behind.  Some
*other company will do what the original apple did.  They will be the
*cute underdog and will fight apple tooth and nail until apple is weak
*and weary from fighting.
*
*Apple needs to wise up very soon.  They aren't gods.  They are just
*a bunch of punks.  And we all know how popular old punks are.
*
*Tom Dixon
*uunet!pdn!dixon
*AT&T Paradyne, A company I do not speak for......

Just watch the battle between Ashton-Tate and Fox Software. They're already
starting to fight this same kind of battle - the older, technologically less
advanced A-T going after the better, stronger, faster (albeit younger and not
quite as big) Fox software - except that Fox SW isn't laying over and dying -
they're going head-to-head with A-T on this.

Of course the user community has a vote in this too. The SEA vs. PKWARE
lawsuit (look-and-feel was an "issue" there too - SEA threatened to sue PKWARE
over that, and also the matter that they had supposedly the trade-mark on the
word "ARC") may have gotten Phil Katz to stop making ARC format compatable
software, nobody'll use SEA's stuff for backup any more!

|Timothy D. Kuehn					timk@egvideo          |
|TDK Consulting Services			        !watmath!egvideo!timk |
|871 Victoria St. North, Suite 217A					      |
|Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2B 3S4 		        (519)-741-3623 	      |

john@zygot.UUCP (John Higdon) (06/19/89)

In article <736@rwing.UUCP>, pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto) writes:
> Reason I'm adding my 2 cents worth - is that at least with myself,
> Apple is doing their overall reputation no good at all with this sort
> of conduct - using the courts to surpress competition from makers that
> may be less well-heeled, but turn out a product that is equal to or
> better than the original in terms of performance, and at a lower
> price.  It appears to me that Apple would rather not have others
> engage in a free market, instead they want to keep a lock on the
> market for themselves.  This would mean they have to spend less on
> R&D, be less concerned about product improvements, customer support,
> the whole ball of wax.  And they are then free to charge whatever they
> want, since there would be no similar products available for less
> money.

Are you advocating a free market, or a free-for-all market in which
anyone of free to steal the work of another avoid all those nasty R&D
costs, add a few enhancements and sell the whole package for less than
the originator does? Since when is Apple keeping a lock on the market?
Anyone, anywhere, at anytime is perfectly free to invent, develop,
produce and market at a lower price a product superior to the
Macintosh. Are you annoyed that no one has yet been able to do that
without *stealing* critical secrets that go into the Mac? If all you
had to do to come out with a Mac competitor was to take the technology
(including imbedded code) that comprises the Apple product and add a
couple of ideas of your own, then you are right: you certainly could
sell it for less. But is that fair?

> I really wonder if the founders of Apple would have done so well, if
> the market climate when they started up was like the climate Apple is
> now creating?

By doing what? Protecting what is rightfully theirs? Or do you feel
that all trade secrets should just be public domain and no one has a
right, regardless of development cost, to make money with them?

> As for myself, I plan to (and have) avoided Apple products like the
> plague, and will continue to do so.  I also express my feelings to any
> clients - indicating that while the Apple products are no doubt well
> built, and of good quality, I think supporting a company with their
> attitude and way of doing business goes counter to everyone's best

So you buy attitude, not product. Well, that's your right. And if you
want to deprive yourself of that rare commodity in American business
today (an excellent product) because its maker wants to protect its
ability to continue to produce that product, by all means, do so.

> interests in the long run.  In short, I think Apple is doing a great
> job of earning themselves a LOUSY reputation.  And postings like the
> recent legal threat only supports that reputation.

Well, if you contributed as much to the net as Apple does and then had
your livelihood splattered over that same net, I wonder if you would be
so blase that you would just ignore the whole thing.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (06/19/89)

From article <659@whizz.uucp>, by alexc@whizz.uucp (Alex M. Chan):
> 	I agreed. But in my perosnal view, who would clone a MAC ?
> 	To me it sees to be just a toy for kids to play with or a
> 	fancy typing machine for people would like that "mouse" and those
> 	stupid sounds... and stuff...

Tell that to comp.sys.mac and you'll probably get flamed for weeks (and
deservedly so). I am not a Mac user but I know loads of happy people who
do use them and wouldn't use any other.

If something "seems" like a toy give it the benefit of a test first. You
may find yourself pleasantly surprised. If you want to hear "stupid
sounds" listen to someone playing games on an Amiga :-)
--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, ENGLAND
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (06/19/89)

In <6198@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon) writes:
> But the real question is why would a company think that they can
> get away with these silly strong arm tactics?

	What "silly strong arm tactics"?  As far as I can tell, Apple only
goes after companies that they feel are infringing on their rights.  They
went after the Franklin Ace folks when they copied the Apple-II roms to
make their clone.  I don't see anything wrong with that; Apple put a lot of
effort and money into developing the Apple-II, why should they just sit
back and let somebody churn out cheap copies without challenging them?

	More recently, they are going after Microsoft for "look and feel"
ripoffs.  While I'm not sure I agree that "look and feel" should have the
same kind of legal protection rom contents should, I don't think Apple is
doing anything inherently evil by pursuing the issue.  Someone earlier
accused Apple of being unfair to their competition by filing frivolous
suits against people who can't afford to adequately defend themselves in
court; the "shallow pockets" theory.  Surely Microsoft doesn't qualify as a
shallow pocket.

	Now, they are saying, in public, and in no uncertain terms, that
the code that has been distributed is stolen, was not distributed with
their permission, and that they are prepared to defend their rights to that
code with full vigor, and to go after the people to stole it as hard as
they legally can.  What is wrong with that?  They have good reason to
believe that some extremely valuable information belonging to them (i.e.
the Mac rom source code) has been distributed, against their will, to
people that they don't want to have it.  In response to this, they want to
make it very clear to everybody who might have gotten the code just what
their position is.  They have reason to believe that usenet was one of the
channels of distribution.  Doesn't it make sense to use that same channel
to distribute their warning?

	Imagine the following scenario: I get some code off the net and use
it.  A few weeks later, I get a polite but firm registered letter from
Apple's lawyers telling me to stop what I'm doing or get my ass sued off.
When we get into court I tell the judge, "But I just got this stuff off the
net.  I didn't know it was stolen.  Hell, I never saw anything from Apple
on the net about it.  Articles in InfoWorld and MacWeek about it?  Could
have been, but I don't read those.  How was I supposed to know?"

	Or think about the following scenario.  You work for DEC and
somebody has managed to get the VMS sources and post them to the net.  Or
you work for AT&T and somebody just posted the SysV sources.  Or the Scribe
sources.  Or the chip layout diagrams for the 68040.  Or the 80486?  Or any
other very valuable and secret information that your company owns.  Would
you think it inappropriate to use the net to tell people that the posting
was done without your permission and if they try to use the stuff they got
to make a competing product you will come after them hammer and tongs, with
a whole army of lawyers just itching to get you into court?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

paul@moncam.co.uk (Paul Hudson) (06/19/89)

In article <841@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ken@capone.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
> In article <2928@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,) writes:
> >
> >I gather that Mac clones are immenent.  This brouhaha seems to put a

> If you're not a lawyer, don't reply to this...too many people think
> they know the law and don't...

Ooops ...

> Is it not incumbent upon Apple, in a suit, to prove that a clone-maker
> DID have access to the source, and not the responsability of the clone-
> maker to prove he didn't??  What am I missing here?

You are forgetting that Apple can tie you up in court cases and
appeals until you thorow in the towel or go bust, regardless of the
legal issues. I can only hope that HP&Microsoft will prove too big for
Apple ....

Paul Hudson	 MAIL: Monotype ADG, Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 4FQ, UK.
		PHONE: +44 (223) 420018	  EMAIL: paul@moncam.co.uk,
	;"	  FAX: +44 (223) 420911		 ...!ukc!acorn!moncam!paul
 `"";";"        "/dev/null full: please empty the bit bucket"
--
Paul Hudson	 MAIL: Monotype ADG, Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 4FQ, UK.
		PHONE: +44 (223) 420018	  EMAIL: paul@moncam.co.uk,
	;"	  FAX: +44 (223) 420911		 ...!ukc!acorn!moncam!paul
 `"";";"        "/dev/null full: please empty the bit bucket"

In article <736@rwing.UUCP> pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto) writes:
>... postings like the
>recent legal threat only supports that reputation.

One should remember that Apple may have felt constrained in what they could
say.  As I understand it, the courts have quite consistently held that if
you want your copyright or trademark to be preserved, you have to make an
effort to enforce it when infringements occur.  That means snarling and
threatening, not just saying "hey, that's not nice".

(I share the widely-held low opinion of Apple, on the whole, but I don't
think it is fair to blame them for the nasty tone of the threat -- they
probably felt they had no choice.)
--
You *can* understand sendmail, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but it's not worth it. -Collyer| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tmyers@orion.cf.uci.edu (Tracy Myers) (06/20/89)

In article <3809@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>In <6198@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>other very valuable and secret information that your company owns.  Would
>you think it inappropriate to use the net to tell people that the posting
>was done without your permission and if they try to use the stuff they got
>to make a competing product you will come after them hammer and tongs, with
>a whole army of lawyers just itching to get you into court?
>--
>Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute
>455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
>{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
>"The connector is the network"

What is inappropriate is the obnoxious threatening tone in the Apple
announcement.  It IS likely to get people to take the action to remove any
stolen Apple property which was received through the net.  However, it will
get people to do only the minimum required to protect themselves from the
hounds of hell (i.e., those wild and crazy Apple lawyers).  It will not
create a constructive atmosphere which would encourage people to take
additional steps to protect Apple property which are not strictly required
by law such as providing Apple with any information about who is the thief
and how the stuff was stolen, etc. Not only was the tone of the letter
insulting, it was also quite vague about precisely which net postings they
were talking about.  Apple could have accomplished much more with a notice
which stated their gripe without pissing on everyone.

I like every reasonable person am stongly opposed to the theft of
proprietory information, but I won't under any circumstances go out of my
way to help a bully.  There is a difference between protecting yourself,
and strong arming the community.

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (06/20/89)

In article <6198@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon) writes:

| But the real question is why would a company think that they can
| get away with these silly strong arm tactics?

  The American legal system is not based on justice, it's based on
money. Anyone can sue anyone else for anything, and if the person sued
can't afford to hire lawyers to defend the case they lose it.

  If Apple sues Joe's Computer Company for a million dollars, Joe can
either pay to fight the case or pay the million dollars. And if Joe
spends every penny he has and wins the case he doesn't get his court
costs back, and Apple can appeal. Eventually Joe goes out of business,
which is what Apple wants, of course.

  Apple force Digital Research to give up it's beautiful GEM interface
until threat of lawsuit. DR now sells something else with the same name,
but it's not at all the same. Apple is very careful to protect all the
ideas which Xerox developed.

  No matter how pure a Mac clone is, I'm sure Apple will sue, and keep
suing. Unless some really big company decides to make a clone and counts
the court costs as part of the startup, I don't think any clones will
actually be sold. Apple can just run the cost so high that there will be
no profit. I would really like to see IBM make a Mac clone, just to see
the lawsuit!

Disclamer: the above are my opinions and facts as I know them. Consult a
lawyer for information which applies to any particular situation.

kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (06/20/89)

In article <1989Jun19.175611.1956@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>One should remember that Apple may have felt constrained in what they could
>say.  As I understand it, the courts have quite consistently held that if
>you want your copyright or trademark to be preserved, you have to make an
>effort to enforce it when infringements occur.  That means snarling and
>threatening, not just saying "hey, that's not nice".

Apple's problems are more subtle than this. Their copyrights
and trademarks are as safe as they have every been. I think
what they are worried about are *trade secrets*.  My understanding
is that one reason Macs are (were) so hard to clone is that no one but
Apple knows (knew) the full specification of the Mac ROM. Last month
this specification was a trade secret. Today?

Carl Kadie
ARPA:  kadie@m.cs.uiuc.edu

gaynor@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Vampire) (06/20/89)

In article <1309@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Carl M. Kadie) writes:

>My understanding
>is that one reason Macs are (were) so hard to clone is that no one but
>Apple knows (knew) the full specification of the Mac ROM. Last month
>this specification was a trade secret. Today?

	They full set of the Mac ROMs, the complete and unexpurgated dirty
little pieces of source code, are still secrets.  For those of you who have
forgotten, and many of you in this flame-ridden conversation seem to have,
nuPrometheus only distributed the 32-bit QuickDraw code.  Not the "good"
stuff.  Just fluff.  The "real" thing is still locked away in it's legal
vaults, guarded by many a rapid Apple lawyer.

	It seems that nuPrometheus forgot something when they named
themselves.  In their urgence to bring "fire" to the masses, they forgot
the price that Prometheus paid - chained to rock for all of eternity, his
liver devoured by carrion birds each day, only to have it heal and grow
again by the next dawn...

-=-
|  Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"      UseNet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu  |
|   The Ohio State University - Instructional and Research Computer Center   |

diamond@diamond.csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) (06/20/89)

In article <659@whizz.uucp> alexc@whizz.UUCP (Alex M. Chan) writes:

>	I agreed. But in my perosnal view, who would clone a MAC ?
>	To me it sees to be just a toy for kids to play with or a
>	fancy typing machine for people would like that "mouse" and those
>	stupid sounds... and stuff...

I agreed, until I used one for some real work.  Funny, people who have
X11 or other window systems suddenly discover that a mouse is useful
too.  And then I could go back and understand that the Smalltalk
semi-operating semi-system is the root for Mac and present-day window
systems, though lacking in user or programmer friendliness.

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.jp@relay.cs.net)
 The above opinions are claimed by your machine's init process (pid 1), after

msb@ho5cad.att.com (Mike Balenger) (06/20/89)

I missed the original article -- "Official Legal Announcement
regarding Apple's Source Code".  Could someone please send me a copy?

Thanks,
Mike Balenger
<cute quote>            Michael S. Balenger             (201) 949-8789
<cute disclaimer>       AT&T Bell Labs
                        Room 1L-405
msb@ho5cad.att.com      Crawfords Corner Road
att!ho5cad!msb          Holmdel, NJ   07733

rhorn@infinet.UUCP (Rob Horn) (06/20/89)

In article <653@lopez.UUCP> flash@lopez.UUCP (Gary Bourgois) writes:
>The Mac is a right-brain kind of machine.  It is visual and not verbal.
  (Made by left-brain designers?  Certainly non-artists)

>BUT you see a lot of Macs in places like Newspapers (The Christian Science
>Monitor LOVES THEM) Magazines, small publishing houses, etc.

A minor correction.  The CSM *management* loves them.  The CSM artists
*hate* them with a passion.  (I suffer regular abuse from a CSM artist
who cannot understand how anyone could possibly think Mac's have any
artistic value.)

Those who a curious why a professional artist hates Mac's feel free to
continue this by email.  For the impatient: a Mac can be controlled by
a person with one hand having one finger.  How many artists would
consider having all but one hand and finger amputated to be crippling?--
				Rob  Horn
	UUCP:	...harvard!adelie!infinet!rhorn
		...ulowell!infinet!rhorn, ..decvax!infinet!rhorn
	Snail:	Infinet,  40 High St., North Andover, MA

karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (06/20/89)

tmyers@orion.cf.uci.edu writes:
    What is inappropriate is the obnoxious threatening tone in the Apple
    announcement.  It IS likely to get people to take the action to remove any
    stolen Apple property which was received through the net.

Not likely.  I have over 2000 comp.sys.mac* articles in-spool.  I
haven't the slightest interest in hunting through them on my own to
find something anomalous.  If Apple wants to inform us of the
Message-ID's used, I'll nuke them (and I replied on 13 June to
morris2@applelink.apple.com to that effect; the lack of response is
stunning), but until Apple actually says something informative,
they've done nothing but gain a few more enemies around here.  *If*
such articles exist (I no longer believe so), they will remain
publicly viewable at Ohio State for another 2 weeks minimum.

--Karl

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (06/21/89)

The rumored theft of the Mac ROM source has been reported elsewhere in
the media in the past few days.  Even if it happened, there is no
evidence visible to me that any of it was posted to a USENET newsgroup.
Some of it may (I suppose) have been exchanged between individuals via
netmail, and the legal eagles at Apple may be ill informed as to the
distinction between these two distribution channels (this certainly
happens often enough under other circumstances, right?).  I get the
strong impression that Erik Fair posted that legal boilerplate under
orders from his superiors and has no personal involvement in the issue
one way or another.

Since it's likely that the USENET (Netnews) rumor which was "reported
to" Apple (according to the original article) is just garden variety
misinformation, I suggest that newsreaders take the announcement at face
value and (if you don't have purloined code in your possession) forget
about it.  Apple should have better sense than to fart so loudly amongst
its net neighbors, but I suspect this is their lawyers talking
(translation: cya), and if Apple were to pay its lawyers the big bucks
based on degree of USENET sensitivity they would be delinquent with the
shareholders' money.
--
You may not redistribute this article for profit without written permission.
--

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (06/23/89)

In article <1619@infinet.UUCP> rhorn@infinet.UUCP (Rob Horn) writes:
>A minor correction.  The CSM *management* loves them.  The CSM artists
>*hate* them with a passion.  (I suffer regular abuse from a CSM artist
>who cannot understand how anyone could possibly think Mac's have any
>artistic value.)

I don't want to continue this discussion in inappropriate newsgroups,
but this was too much to let go without comment.  I know a number of
professional artists (that is, people who make a significant portion of
their income through graphic and visual arts) and without exception,
they love the Macintosh.  I bounced this message off a few of them last
night and the reactions were momentary shock followed by laughter.

>A Mac can be controlled by
>a person with one hand having one finger.  How many artists would
>consider having all but one hand and finger amputated to be crippling?

It can be done, yes, thanks to a handy Apple CDEV called "Easy Access"
intended for the use of the physically impaired, but this is not the
normal way of using the Macintosh.  Look at using, say, the line
drawing tool in angle-restricted mode.  If this was reported to you by
CSM artists, it shows to me that their real objections stem from the
fact that they haven't bothered to learn the software.

If this still isn't clear to you, how many other visual media
incorporate a full undo capability, smooth curve fitting, the ability
to make corrections without building up layers of white-out, automatic
generation of geometric shapes, multiple level canvases, and so forth?

Finally, what computers *do* your CSM friends like, if not the Mac?
MS/DOS or UNIX for graphics?  Barf!
Postal: 424 Tehama, SF CA 94103; Phone: (415) 495-2934

"There's a real world out there, with real people.  Go out and play there for
 a while and give the Usenet sandbox a rest.  It will lower your stress
 levels and make the world a happier place for us all." -- Gene Spafford

andys@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Andy Sherman) (06/23/89)

In article <1200@zygot.UUCP>, john@zygot (John Higdon) writes:
>In article <736@rwing.UUCP>, pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto) writes:
>> I really wonder if the founders of Apple would have done so well, if
>> the market climate when they started up was like the climate Apple is
>> now creating?
>
>By doing what? Protecting what is rightfully theirs? Or do you feel
>that all trade secrets should just be public domain and no one has a
>right, regardless of development cost, to make money with them?

Ah, but look at where Apple came from, and you will see that their
history just screams out for a nice tidy theft.  All the profiles on
Jobs and Wozniak used to point out that they started out as
blue-boxers.  The fancy name for what such people do is toll fraud.
The plain and simple truth is that they saved quite a bit of money by
stealing services from my employer.  What goes around comes around.
--
Andy Sherman/AT&T Bell Laboratories/Murray Hill, NJ           *NEW ADDRESS*
AUDIBLE:  (201) 582-5928                                      *NEW PHONE*

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (06/26/89)

In article <1309@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Carl M. Kadie) writes:
>In article <1989Jun19.175611.1956@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>One should remember that Apple may have felt constrained in what they could
>>say.  As I understand it, the courts have quite consistently held that if
>>you want your copyright or trademark to be preserved, you have to make an
>>effort to enforce it when infringements occur.  That means snarling and
>>threatening, not just saying "hey, that's not nice".
>
>Apple's problems are more subtle than this. Their copyrights
>and trademarks are as safe as they have every been.

	Sorry, Apple has a problem with one particular trademark:  "Apple."
You remember that company started by the Beatles?  (Did you know that Paul
McCartney was in a band before Wings?)  They came to an agreement that if
Apple Computer stayed out of the music business they could use the name "Apple."
Well, with the inclusion of the sound chip in the IIGS (amoung other things
like the use of MIDI etc. -- I don't know the exact details but you get the
point), Apple (the record comany) has opened proceedings against Apple (the
computer company).

	Even if this turns out to be urban folklore, I find the entire concept
most amusing.  X-)

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza         GEnie:jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET         Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

"
problems.

stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen D Carter) (06/27/89)

From article <7367@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, by jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza):
> In article <1309@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Carl M. Kadie) writes:
>>In article <1989Jun19.175611.1956@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>
> 	Sorry, Apple has a problem with one particular trademark:  "Apple."
> You remember that company started by the Beatles?  (Did you know that Paul
> McCartney was in a band before Wings?)  They came to an agreement that if
> Apple Computer stayed out of the music business they could use the name "Apple."
> Well, with the inclusion of the sound chip in the IIGS (amoung other things
> like the use of MIDI etc. -- I don't know the exact details but you get the
> point), Apple (the record comany) has opened proceedings against Apple (the
> computer company).
>
> 	Even if this turns out to be urban folklore, I find the entire concept
> most amusing.  X-)

It is not folklore, Apple (as in Fab Four) are indeed taking action
against
Apple (as in 'we didn't copy it from Xerox), to do with the
precise point mentioned.

(Did Steve Jobs ever do a rooftop concert?)

Stephen D Carter, Systems Manager, The Administration,
The University of Sussex, Sussex House, Falmer, BRIGHTON, BN1 9RH.  UK
Tel: +44 273 678203 (Direct line). Tel: +44 273 606755 (Switchboard).
JANET : stevedc@uk.ac.sussex.syma
ARPA  : stevedc%sussex.syma@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
USENET: stevedcsyma.sussex.ac.uk
UUCP  : ...!mcvax!ukc!sussex!syma!stevedc
BITNET: ukacrl.earn!sussex.syma!stevedc or stevedc%sussex.syma@uk.ac

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (06/29/89)

In article <1117@syma.sussex.ac.uk> stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen D Carter) writes:
>From article <7367@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, by jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza):
>> Well, with the inclusion of the sound chip in the IIGS (amoung other things
>> like the use of MIDI etc. -- I don't know the exact details but you get the
>> point), Apple (the record comany) has opened proceedings against Apple (the
>> computer company).
>>
>> 	Even if this turns out to be urban folklore, I find the entire concept
>> most amusing.  X-)
>
>It is not folklore, Apple (as in Fab Four) are indeed taking action
>against
>Apple (as in 'we didn't copy it from Xerox), to do with the
>precise point mentioned.

I think we've seen it enough in the press to believe it's real, but,
I'd like to hear more details about the actual complaint.  Is it the
sound chip, the MIDI interface, both, ...?

Do you have more information on this suit, Apple vs. Apple?  When
Apple sued Microsoft, we saw postings of the actual complaints and
counter-complaints.  I'd be curious to see the original agreement
between Apple and Apple as well as the recent complaint of Apple
vs. Apple.  (I just said a bushelful :)

-Fred

| Fred Hollander                 |                                           |
| Computer Science Center        |     "Ha ha ha ha ha ha, Ah what a day!"   |
| Texas Instruments, Inc.        |             -- Joker                      |
| Internet:    hollander@ti.com  |                                           |
| Telnet:      214/995-0696      |  The above statements are my own and not  |
| AppleLink:   D1392             |  representative of Texas Instruments.     |

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (06/30/89)

In article <1200@zygot.UUCP> john@zygot.UUCP (John Higdon) writes:
>Anyone, anywhere, at anytime is perfectly free to invent, develop,
>produce and market at a lower price a product superior to the
>Macintosh. Are you annoyed that no one has yet been able to do that
>without *stealing* critical secrets that go into the Mac?
          ^^^^^^^^           ^^^^^^^

No, he and I are annoyed that Apple is suing anyone who tries to do that
by *imitating* critical *publicly* *known* *features* of the Mac, without
regard to whether they stole anything or not.

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@sun.com

flash@lopez.UUCP (Gary Bourgois) (07/22/89)

> 	I agreed. But in my perosnal view, who would clone a MAC ?
> 	To me it sees to be just a toy for kids to play with or a
> 	fancy typing machine for people would like that "mouse" and those
> 	stupid sounds... and stuff...

Well, I personaly do not own a Mac, nor have any intentions of using them,
but for graphics applications, they got the jump on a lot of folks...

The Mac is a right-brain kind of machine.  It is visual and not verbal.
Those of us who are verbal prefer the clean "command line" entry of UNIX,
MS/DOS and OS/2 (et al).  I personally think that using a mouse to
manipulate files is a very stupid way to do things, when I can type a
command (or write a batch file if the command is longer, and I use it
often) so that a few keystrokes whacked out in a split second get the
machine to do my bidding.

BUT you see a lot of Macs in places like Newspapers (The Christian Science
Monitor LOVES THEM) Magazines, small publishing houses, etc.

Matter of taste.  I think the Mac is terribly overpriced for what it is. A
Mac Clone could wake them up, the way Big Blue got a rude awakening when
the IBM Clones hit.  IBM clones helped everyone.  Brought us a standard for
one...  Got IBM to improve their product line faster (Something APPLE USERS
would WELCOME, I surmise) .. and brought MUCH LOWER PRICES to the world of
desktop computing.

I am like someone else on here.  I discourage my clients from buying
anything other than INTEL based machines (If and when I can).  Now if there
were some reasonably priced Mac Clones out there, I might at least LOOK at
them.  Never own one though.

After all I am the one that coined the phrase:  MAC STINK.

--
| Gary Bourgois  flash@lopez.UUCP  ..rutgers!mailrus!sharkey!lopez!flash |
|              Great White North UPLink, Marquette Michigan              |

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (07/22/89)

In article <841@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
-If you're not a lawyer, don't reply to this...too many people think
-they know the law and don't...

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on the net...

-Last time I read legal theory, you were innocent until proven guilty
-beyond a reasonable shadow...and all that.

This is true for criminal cases.  I believe that in civil cases the standard
is not nearly as stringent.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street

pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto) (07/22/89)

In article <394@v7fs1.UUCP>, mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
> In article <841@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
> > ... [commands deleted] ...
>
> ... [ good answer to commands deleted ] ...
>
> >Last time I read legal theory, you were innocent until proven guilty
> >beyond a reasonable shadow...and all that.
> > ... [ more details deleted ] ...
>
> This is true in theory.  The problem is, you don't have to prove that
> you have a case before you can sue.  It is quite possible for someone
> with 'deep pockets' to sue, sue, sue, and sue, until the less
> well-heeled victim is bankrupted by legal fees, and it doesn't make a
> shred of difference how innocent the victim is.  Apple is one of the
> major offenders in this particular kind of harrasment.  Nothing would
> give me a bigger belly-laugh than to see them get bit back in a big way.

I agree with your posting - but it will take someone with DEEPER
pockets than Apple to accomplish this.  I am keeping my fingers
crossed, however....

[...]

pat@rwing     ...!nwnexus!mltco!camco!happym!\      (Pat Myrto),  Seattle, WA
                          ...!uunet!pilchuck!rwing!pat
                  ...!uw-beaver!sumax!polari!/
WISDOM:    "Travelling unarmed is like boating without a life jacket"

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon(0000)) (07/23/89)

In article <736@rwing.UUCP> pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto) writes:
> [ much verbiage about a earlier line of discussion removed ]
>
>Reason I'm adding my 2 cents worth - is that at least with myself,
>Apple is doing their overall reputation no good at all with this sort
>of conduct - using the courts to suppress competition from makers that
>may be less well-heeled, but turn out a product that is equal to or
>better than the original in terms of performance, and at a lower
>price....
>
>I really wonder if the founders of Apple would have done so well, if
>the market climate when they started up was like the climate Apple is
>now creating?

>--
>pat@rwing     ...!nwnexus!mltco!camco!happym!\      (Pat Myrto),  Seattle, WA

But the real question is why would a company think that they can
get away with these silly strong arm tactics?

Apple, in the throes of a violent renaissance, is trying to through some
weight around to prove to the world that they are a big company now.
But what they don't understand is that they are pouting in a whores
market.  There are a lot of companies who are willing to put horsepower
with connectivity on your desk.  And most of them have a pretty good
attitude about the whole thing.

alexc@whizz.uucp (Alex M. Chan) (07/23/89)

In article <2928@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,) writes:
>From article <2073@astroatc.UUCP>, by brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot):
>
>I gather that Mac clones are immenent.  This brouhaha seems to put a
>severe legal damper on release of such clones -- the clonemakers will
>now have to prove they *didn't* have access to Apple source.  I see the
>potential for nasty copyright battles, possibly putting "look and feel"
>to shame.

	I agreed. But in my perosnal view, who would clone a MAC ?
	To me it sees to be just a toy for kids to play with or a
	fancy typing machine for people would like that "mouse" and those
	stupid sounds... and stuff...

                                Alex Chan

USENET: ...!{sun!nosun|tektronix!percival}!whizz!alexc

steve@nuchat (07/23/89)

In article <841@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ken@capone (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>If you're not a lawyer, don't reply to this...too many people think
>they know the law and don't...

Lay people who pay attention can know as much about the law
as they want to.  I think I know the answer to this one, but
the only time you can bank on legal advise is when it comes
from an attorney when you are that attorney's client.  Even
then the only protection you have against error is the competence
of that attorney, and the only recourse you have is the right
to sue him (or her) for malpractice.

>Last time I read legal theory, you were innocent until proven guilty
>beyond a reasonable shadow...and all that.

That's true in criminal law.  Not in administrative or civil law.
(It's "beyond a resonable doubt", not a shadow.)

>Is it not incumbent upon Apple, in a suit, to prove that a clone-maker
>DID have access to the source, and not the responsability of the clone-
>maker to prove he didn't??  What am I missing here?

In a civil case the plaintiff is not "responsible" to prove anything.
The plaintiff makes his case, then the defendant makes his case, then
the judge and/or the jury makes a decision, then one or both parties
appeals, and eventually one of them gets tired and gives the other
what they want.

In a criminal case there is usually only one charge, and even when
there are multiple charges each one is decided either guilty or
not guilty.  In a civil case a single suit can raise multiple legal
theories for why the plaintiff should get relief, and may seek
multiple forms of relief.  Each issue is decided in turn, sometimes
by the judge even when there is a jury (instructed decision, or
somthing lile that).  Each question raised can be decided entirely
in favor of the defendant, entirely in favor of the plaintiff (or
even for more damages than the plaintive asked for), or somewhere
in between.

>In any case, is it not true that companies like Chips and Technologies
>have established precident that it IS possible to clone something exactly
>(bug-for-bug) without access to proprietary material?

My understanding of the status is that the precedents are not
something you can take to the bank yet, since they have only
been upheld by one federal district judge.  That means you can
use it in that district until it is overturned by the supremes
but shame on you if you bet the farm on it elsewhere.  The
analysis I read also indicated that the decisions are too narrow
to be sure how another case would be decided.  Judges are real
good at coming up with excuses for ignoring precedent when they
feel like it.

Anyway, the clean-room cloning applies to interfaces such
as the system call interface to MS-DOS, not to user interface
techniques.  Until Look-and-Feel theory is hashed out we won't
know if it applies there.  One would think that look-and-feel
would be covered by public lewdness or assault statutes, but
that's another kettle of lawyers.

hutto@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Jon Hutto) (08/03/89)

In article <653@lopez.UUCP> flash@lopez.UUCP (Gary Bourgois) writes:
>The Mac is a right-brain kind of machine.  It is visual and not verbal.
>Those of us who are verbal prefer the clean "command line" entry of UNIX,
>MS/DOS and OS/2 (et al).  I personally think that using a mouse to
>manipulate files is a very stupid way to do things, when I can type a
>command (or write a batch file if the command is longer, and I use it
>often) so that a few keystrokes whacked out in a split second get the
>machine to do my bidding.

I persionally like the mouse. Don't get me wrong, I am a IBM fan, and don't
care for the MAC very much, but the mouse was a good idea. As far as
graphics go, that is the way of the future. computers are getting more and
more graphics, and I fell that one day, a system, something like the Sun
is what most persional computers will look like. It has the easability of
the mouse, plus the advantages of a command line, effeciently.

>Matter of taste.  I think the Mac is terribly overpriced for what it is. A
>Mac Clone could wake them up, the way Big Blue got a rude awakening when

Have you ever heard of the Hacintosh?  Computer Shopper did a seven or eight
part artical about building a low cost MAC clone. For about $500 you can build
a mac.

>I am like someone else on here.  I discourage my clients from buying
>anything other than INTEL based machines (If and when I can).  Now if there

>After all I am the one that coined the phrase:  MAC STINK.

You sure sound open minded.