[news.sysadmin] Stop lights can get very annoying.

jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) (08/08/89)

In article <101.24DDB343@mamab.FIDONET.ORG> Jon.Greenblatt@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Jon Greenblatt) writes:

>--
>Fidonet:  Jon Greenblatt via 1:363/9
>Internet: Jon.Greenblatt@mamab.FIDONET.ORG
>Usenet:  ...!peora!rtmvax!libcmp!mamab!Jon.Greenblatt

	Who in the HELL is this person on "Fidonet" with the screwed up
mailer. This mailer is pretentding to be me, now I'm pissed! Who is responsible
for this, I wish it would stop. I just read 13 mail messages today from this
Fido caracter!

						JonnyG.

tr@madeleine.ctt.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (08/09/89)

On the subject of "Stop lights can get very annoying.",
jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) writes:

$ In article <101.24DDB343@mamab.FIDONET.ORG> Jon.Greenblatt@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Jon Greenblatt) writes:
$ >
$ >
$ >--
$
$       Who in the HELL is this person on "Fidonet" with the screwed up
$ mailer. This mailer is pretentding to be me, now I'm pissed! Who is
$ responsible for this, I wish it would stop. I just read 13 mail
$ messages today from this Fido caracter!
$
$
$ 						JonnyG.

By what criteria have you distinguished this impersonation from
someone with the same name as yours?

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP:           bellcore!tr
444 Hoes La room 1H217         |PHONE:          (201) 699-7058 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854-4182      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (08/09/89)

In article <17359@bellcore.bellcore.com>, tr@madeleine.ctt.bellcore.com (tom
reingold) writes:
> By what criteria have you distinguished this impersonation from
> someone with the same name as yours?

Well, he's not the only one--how many "Mikki Barry"s do you think there
are, for instance...?  All of the articles in question have subject lines
from articles actually posted by the people in question.  This leads me to
believe that someone's Usenet<->FidoNet gateway is having indigestion...

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

jjc@fire.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Jeffrey James Bryan Carpenter) (08/12/89)

 In article <17359@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@madeleine.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
 >$ >Fidonet:  Jon Greenblatt via 1:363/9
 >$ >Internet: Jon.Greenblatt@mamab.FIDONET.ORG
 >$ >Usenet:  ...!peora!rtmvax!libcmp!mamab!Jon.Greenblatt
 >$
 >$       Who in the HELL is this person on "Fidonet" with the screwed up
 >$ mailer. This mailer is pretentding to be me, now I'm pissed! Who is
 >$ responsible for this, I wish it would stop. I just read 13 mail
 >$ messages today from this Fido caracter!
 >$
 >By what criteria have you distinguished this impersonation from
 >someone with the same name as yours?

The same thing happened to me right after I made a posting.  I would
find it hard to believe that there is another Jeffrey James Bryan
Carpenter using the net, especially after someone else complained that
it happened to them.

BTW, the message posted under my name was blank.

	jeff

Jeffrey J. B. Carpenter, University of Pittsburgh, Computer Center
USMAIL: 600 Epsilon Drive, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15238
(412) 624 6424, FAX (412) 624-6436 | JJC@PITTVMS.BITNET | jjc@cisunx.UUCP
JJC@VMS.CIS.PITTSBURGH.EDU or jjc@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu