[news.sysadmin] What happens after we get article 99,999 in some group?

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (10/05/89)

Here on iuvax the highest numbered article is #53785 in soc.singles.
A couple of other groups are over 40000.

Has anyone thought through what problems we may have in a couple of
years when the 5-digit active file article numbers start wrapping around?

I am not an expert on news internals so this may not really be
a problem.

Steve

In article <27176@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) writes:
>Has anyone thought through what problems we may have in a couple of
>years when the 5-digit active file article numbers start wrapping around?

C News uses however many digits are present in the active file; the setup
stuff we ship uses 10 instead of 5.  None of the news readers seems to care.

I believe there has been some work along similar lines in recent B News
patches, but I haven't kept track.

Of course, 10 digits is long enough to overflow a 32-bit number.  Shouldn't
take more than another decade for soc.singles. :-)
--
Nature is blind; Man is merely |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
shortsighted (and improving).  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

mday@iconsys.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) (10/06/89)

From article <27176@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, by sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman):
> Has anyone thought through what problems we may have in a couple of
> years when the 5-digit active file article numbers start wrapping around?

That limit was extended to 7 digits with patch 18 to B News 2.11.
| Matthew T. Day, Sanyo/Icon International, Orem, UT (801) 225-6888   |
| Unix System Programmer, ..!uunet!iconsys!mday (mday@iconsys.uu.net) |

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (10/06/89)

In article <27176@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) writes:

>Has anyone thought through what problems we may have in a couple of
>years when the 5-digit active file article numbers start wrapping around?

	Yeah, apparently.  Patch 18 to B news 2.11 adds to more digits.

	Let's see now.  With the current growth rate of USNET, plus the
various duplicates and mangled message-ids and history files, two more
orders of magnitude might get us through another year or two :-).

Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!

greg@cheers.uucp (Greg Onufer) (10/07/89)

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) writes:
>Has anyone thought through what problems we may have in a couple of
>years when the 5-digit active file article numbers start wrapping around?

It wraps around and your newsreaders have to sort it out...
or you upgrade to News 3 which uses 9 digits in the active file...
and then try to wrap *that* around :-)

Cheers!greg