[news.sysadmin] Local and Moderated Group Admin

mills@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gary Mills) (10/23/89)

I am the news administrator at this site, running C-news, under SunOs
4.0.3, on a Sun-4.  I have set up one local group with an infinite
expiry date for posting announcements and information to help new
users find their way around the system.  Is there an official way I
can cancel articles posted by others when they are no longer relevant?
I know I can go to the news spool and remove them.

If I convert the group to moderated, C-news will mail postings to the
moderator.  How does the moderator go about posting them?  I could not
find any way to give the moderator this authority.
--
-Gary Mills-             -University of Manitoba-             -Winnipeg-

In article <1989Oct23.153052.12125@ccu.umanitoba.ca> mills@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gary Mills) writes:
>... I have set up one local group with an infinite
>expiry date for posting announcements and information...

I assume you mean a very long expiry date, since C News expire doesn't
support infinite expiry yet.  (It will; I just never thought of it until
it was suggested to me recently.)

>...Is there an official way I
>can cancel articles posted by others when they are no longer relevant?

Not at present.  It's actually a slightly tricky problem.  I may have to
add something to expire to make such things possible; there are several
cases where it would be useful.

>If I convert the group to moderated, C-news will mail postings to the
>moderator.  How does the moderator go about posting them?  I could not
>find any way to give the moderator this authority.

The requirement is that a legitimate posting to a moderated group have
an "Approved" header.  Check out "inews -a".
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu