[news.sysadmin] the purpose of news.sysadmin

tr@bellcore.com (tom reingold) (10/27/89)

I once asked where system administrators should post info on the net.
I was told in news.sysadmin.  I was told that news.admin is for netnews
administrators.

I think news.sysadmin is misleadingly named because it looks like a
newsgroup for news administrators.  Is it time to rename this
newsgroup?  I notice the traffic is a small spillover from news.admin.

Am I wrong in thinking that a system administrator's newsgroup is
sorely missing?

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.com
Bellcore                       |UUCP:           bellcore!tr
444 Hoes La room 1H217         |PHONE:          (201) 699-7058 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854-4182      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/28/89)

In <18084@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@bellcore.com (tom reingold) writes:
Tom> Am I wrong in thinking that a system administrator's newsgroup is
Tom> sorely missing?

Not completely; as you noted earlier in your article the name
news.sysadmin doesn't really convey the right message because it makes
the system administration of a machine seem to be a subset of USENET.
So the group isn't really missing, it's just not being used for what
was intended.  See why these arguments arise over the importance of a
good name?

There is a new mailing list for system administrators, not just
sun-managers, but I don't recall the address.  Perhaps an attempt
should be made to move news.sysadmin to comp.sysadmin.  Maybe it can
wait until a more global reorganisation takes place, so we can move
merge news.software.b and news.software.nntp together to news.software
at the same time.
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (10/28/89)

In article <18084@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@bellcore.com (tom reingold) writes:

> I think news.sysadmin is misleadingly named because it looks like a
> newsgroup for news administrators ...

> Am I wrong in thinking that a system administrator's newsgroup is
> sorely missing?

Since a lot of sysadmin stuff is pretty vendor- and/or os-specific, it tends
to be found in comp.sys.whatever or comp.os.whatever.  If you run UNIX, you
might have a look at comp.unix.wizards.  There is also the security mailing
list, and I think I recall a general system administration mailing list.

bjorn@sysadmin.sysadmin.com (Bjorn Satdeva) (10/30/89)

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:

>In <18084@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@bellcore.com (tom reingold) writes:
>Tom> Am I wrong in thinking that a system administrator's newsgroup is
>Tom> sorely missing?

>There is a new mailing list for system administrators, not just
>sun-managers, but I don't recall the address.

Request to be added to the mailing list should be sent to
"sysadm-request@sysadmin.com" or "...uunet!sysadmin!sysadm-request"
Please include the mailing address it should be sent to (internet
style address prefered) and if you are on internet, please state so.

>Perhaps an attempt
>should be made to move news.sysadmin to comp.sysadmin.  Maybe it can
>wait until a more global reorganisation takes place, so we can move
>merge news.software.b and news.software.nntp together to news.software
>at the same time.

Let's see how the mailing list works out.  So far I have received over
400 requests, but only a few submissions.  If you has send a request,
but not yet got a reply, please be patient.  The eathquake has created
some backup of the processing (Our office in San Jose is fine, but I'm
in the process of moving out of my house at the Summit in Santa Cruz
mountain).

> (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

Bjorn
---
Bjorn Satdeva --  email: bjorn@sysadmin.com or uunet!sysadm!bjorn
/sys/admin, inc.  The Unix System Management Experts  (408) 241 3111