[news.sysadmin] what does this error message means

peter@na.excelan.com (Peter Tran) (11/01/89)

I recently seen the following error message on my log file:

Oct 30 15:03    uucp    inews: checkbatch: fork failed, waiting:
No more processes

We are running NNTP 1.5

Does anybody know what it means?

Thanks,
peter
Internet: peter@na.excelan.COM

francus@e2big.dec.com (Yoseff Francus) (11/01/89)

In article <702@excelan.COM> peter@na.excelan.com (Peter Tran) writes:
>I recently seen the following error message on my log file:
>Oct 30 15:03    uucp    inews: checkbatch: fork failed, waiting:
>No more processes
>We are running NNTP 1.5
>Does anybody know what it means?
>peter
>Internet: peter@na.excelan.COM

Methinks this has nothing to do with the NNTP version you're running.
inews is trying to fork off another process. Your process table
is full, the fork cannot succeed and you get the message from
inews that fork failed, and from inews/shell/kernel (choose one)
that the fork failed because No more processes - proc table is full

yoseff

--
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree