[news.sysadmin] Administering archives?

jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.) (11/17/89)

I would like to know how one goes about archiving various newsgroups.  Is there
an easy way for me to take the sources that come through comp.unix.sources
and put them in a directory for access purposes, for instance?  I don't like
going through and saving them to disk, and then deleting the header of every
article.  It's very time consuming.  Is the a better way to do this?  Is there
a way I can do this even with regular newsgroups (Ex:  comp.unix.questions)?
How do archiving sites handle the archiving?  Thanx in advance for informing
this ignorant clod!  :-)

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705       Internet: jessea@dynasys.UU.NET
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134     UUCP: uunet!dynasys!jessea

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (11/30/89)

In article <22@dynasys.UUCP>, jessea@dynasys ( Sysadmin.) writes:
>I would like to know how one goes about archiving various newsgroups.
>Is there
>a way I can do this even with regular newsgroups (Ex:  comp.unix.questions)?

I modified the program called savenews/keepnews that came with the
software.

The main difference is that it archives articles based on the
newsgroup, message id, and year and month of the article.
It removes unnecessary info from the headers, and creates a log file
containing the one line of info:

news.sysadmin/89-10/256.sysadmin.sysadmin	Re: the purpose of news.sysadmin
news.sysadmin/89-10/40319.looking.on	Re: clarinet??????
news.sysadmin/89-10/1989Oct30.092214.192.twwells	Re: clarinet??????
news.sysadmin/89-10/702.excelan	what does this error message means
news.sysadmin/89-10/661.visdc	Re: clarinet??????
news.sysadmin/89-11/14830.bfmny0.UU	Re: clarinet??????
news.sysadmin/89-11/43.e2big.dec	Re: what does this error message means
news.sysadmin/89-11/1989Nov2.002828.7125.ddsw1.MCS	Re: clarinet??????

I have other scripts that remove duplicate articles from the
directory, archive directories to tape, searching and compressing
large old files, etc. In general - I have a dozen ways to increase
disk space, so that I can keep as much around as long as possible
before I am forced to archive the stuff to tape.

I also have a perl script that lets you do something like

cd /savenews/LOGS
cat *sources* |grep -i perl |more-each-article.perl

which reads each file that has perl in the subject line, using zmore if needed.

I have used this system to keep track of 400 Megs of archives for the
past three years. It is somewhat personalized to my needs and will
only run on a Berkeley system. Right now I have more than 100,000
articles available on disk.

this system is NOT available to the outside net - don't bother
asking for access to the archives. However - if you want the sources,
and don't mind waiting - I can mail them to you.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett