[news.sysadmin] Proper Distribution: entries?

icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (12/15/89)

I have a question on the proper entries for the Distribution header.

As I understand it, the Distribution header is to limit the distribution
of an article to some logical or geographically related set of machines.  So
distributions of world go to every machine essentially, while distributions
of mt restrict the article to a Montana distribution, etc. etc.  Or you
can use Distribution entries to coordinate article distribution around
a business, or university in some coordinated fashion.

The question:

Are Distribution: entries of comp, rec, sci etc bogus?  Isn't that
implying 'near-world' distribution, as sys file entries dont as a general rule
distinguish between hierarchies and distributions?  Shouldn't these people
be using world, na, usa, state, etc. or some other name, but NOT the
hierarchy name?

Are there news systems that distinguish between top-level hierarchy names
and distributions?  How do they handle a 'Distribution: comp' header? Seems
to me they'd have to just put all the heirarchy names in the accepted
distributions field, otherwise they'd lose articles.

Or is this a problem of broken news-posting software?

Or is my brain just out to lunch?
| Jaye Mathisen,systems manager       Internet: icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu|
| 410 Roberts Hall                      BITNET: icsu6000@mtsunix1.bitnet      |
| Dept. of Computer Science	                                              |

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (12/16/89)

[rec.motorcylists who don't really care about how come they're seeing
skip this.  Follow-ups directed back to news.sysadmin.]

In <2827@caesar.cs.montana.edu> icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen):
> I have a question on the proper entries for the Distribution header.

Ok.  First there should be a common definition for what the
Distribution header means.  This is provided by RFC 1036.

RFC> 2.2.7.  Distribution
RFC>
RFC>     This line is used to alter the distribution scope of the message.
RFC>     It is a comma separated list similar to the "Newsgroups" line.  User
RFC>     subscriptions are still controlled by "Newsgroups", but the message
RFC>     is sent to all systems subscribing to the newsgroups on the
RFC>     "Distribution" line in addition to the "Newsgroups" line.  For the
RFC>     message to be transmitted, the receiving site must normally receive
RFC>     one of the specified newsgroups AND must receive one of the
RFC>     specified distributions.  Thus, a message concerning a car for sale
RFC>     in New Jersey might have headers including:
RFC>
RFC>                    Newsgroups: rec.auto,misc.forsale
RFC>
RFC>     so that it would only go to persons subscribing to rec.auto or misc.
RFC>     for sale within New Jersey or New York.  The intent of this header
RFC>     is to restrict the distribution of a newsgroup further, not to
RFC>     increase it.  A local newsgroup, such as nj.crazy-eddie, will
RFC>     probably not be propagated by hosts outside New Jersey that do not
RFC>     show such a newsgroup as valid.  A follow-up message should default
RFC>     to the same "Distribution" line as the original message, but the
RFC>     user can change it to a more limited one, or escalate the
RFC>     distribution if it was originally restricted and a more widely
RFC>     distributed reply is appropriate.

> As I understand it, the Distribution header is to limit the distribution
> of an article to some logical or geographically related set of machines.

Right.  But note especially the words, "sent to all systems subscribing
to the newsgroups on the "Distribution" line".

> Are Distribution: entries of comp, rec, sci etc bogus?

No.

> Isn't that implying 'near-world' distribution, as sys file entries
> dont as a general rule distinguish between hierarchies and
> distributions?

It depends on the sys file.  C News allows you to distinguish between
hierarchies and distributions in the sys file.  B News does not, but
this is sort of okay since they are supposed to be newsgroup hierarchies
anyway.  "Sort of" because C News allows me more flexibility of passing
distributions without getting the hierarchies.  Distributions of world,
na, usa, inet and such are "pseudo-hierarchies" -- if a group
world.aquaria was created and newgroup'ed on all of the USENET machines,
it would have excellent distribution without having to change any sys files.

> Shouldn't these people be using world, na, usa, state, etc. or some
> other name, but NOT the hierarchy name?

At this point it looks like they shouldn't even be using distributions
at all.  There is a great deal of user (and news admin) confusion about

> Are there news systems that distinguish between top-level hierarchy
> names and distributions?  How do they handle a 'Distribution: comp'
> header? Seems to me they'd have to just put all the heirarchy names in
> the accepted distributions field, otherwise they'd lose articles.

As I said, C News does.  I thought this was nifty at first because then
I converted my sysfile so lines looked something like:

foo:news,comp,sci,rec,misc,soc,talk,ny,capdist/world,na,usa,inet,ny,capdist:n:foo/togo

Now they look more like this:

foo:news,comp,sci,rec,misc,soc,talk,ny,capdist/all,!local:n:foo/togo

Apparently a lot of sites are like this.  Someone posted something
go anywhere from my machine.  According to RFC 1036, it should.  Ok, so
I can duplicate all of the hierarchies into the rhs of the / and then
add pure distribuions like na and inet.  It is a long, ugly sys line
then and would still prevent some things from getting through that might
not have needed the limitation.  It would do so silently, too.  (Good
thing, because if it chattered about it to the news admin, we'd probably
see even longer log files.)

> Or is this a problem of broken news-posting software?

It's a problem with a broken, confusing header line.  Users don't know
what to do with it and old software keeps running around telling people
to limit their postings to the narrowest scope.  Nowadays a lot of
people don't want that.

I have seen postings limited to distributions that I normally wouldn't get
(like ba and tx) and wonder how come the poster limited it.  There are
frequent postings supposedly limited to usa, but there doesn't seem to be
any need in many of these to limit them, either.  When I say "need", I
mean postings that very much have applicability in the intended
distribution area.

Again, using rec.motorcycles as an example, this would be things like the
current Toys For Tots runs and a get-together that is being planned for
some socializing.  Yes, in one way we over here in NY don't want these
postings ... we can't participate and listening to these people talk about
pleasant warm-weather riding is somewhat annoying :-).  _However_ it does
also have the effect of encouraging us to do similar things in our area.

As another example, why did you limit your original posting to na?  I
have seen many Canadians say, "Don't use usa!  Use na!" and nearly as
many Europeans say, "Don't use na!  Use world!"  Yes, for some topics
this is very inappropriate; for most though it seems that the readers
at the other end just want the news.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

Too bad there's no easy answer to this.  One would like distribution and
newsgroup to be orthogonal, but you can't quite do this.   For example,
there are some groups that you don't want to set a maximum distribution
on -- such as local political groups and forsales groups and "housing wanted"
groups etc.

Perhaps the ideal solution would be groups without distribution in them
and a file indicating the maximum distribution for the group.  Then we
could get distribution out of the group name, and avoid many wars.

icsu6000@caesar (Jaye Mathisen) (12/17/89)

In article <#5`G1_@rpi.edu> tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
[bunch of stuff deleted that was a good explanation of the 'Distribution:'
header]

>As another example, why did you limit your original posting to na?  I

Because I knew that one of the following news wizards:

yourself, rick@uunet.uu.net, henry@utzoo.uucp, geoff@utstat.uucp, brad@looking.
on.ca, peter@ficc.uu.net and others :-)

would answer, and based on what I think I know about where those people are,
usa didn't catch brad,henry,or geoff, while world seemed like it would be
wasting bandwidth, when I could get the answer with a smaller distribution.

Anyway, thanks for answering, it explained it perfectly to me (now).