[news.sysadmin] How to rebuild active with C-news?

starr@hriso.ATT.COM (Michael L. Starr) (02/13/90)

Yesterday, we lost the disk that contained our /usr/lib/news partition.
I initially thought "no problem", mounted the backup disk, and rebuilt
history.  Unfortunately, I can find no way to rebuild the active file
to reflect the articles and newsgroups that were received since the
last backup.  The situation now exists that we seem to have many articles
that are contained under /usr/spool/news that we can't read (using rn)
because active doesn't have numbers that high.  For future reference, is
there any way to rebuild active?

----
 __/\__  ********************  __/\__   |       starr@hriso.ATT.COM
 \    /  * Michael L. Starr *  \    /   |       att!hriso!starr

In article <1990Feb13.141726.28155@hriso.ATT.COM> starr@hriso.ATT.COM (Michael L. Starr) writes:
>... Unfortunately, I can find no way to rebuild the active file
>to reflect the articles and newsgroups that were received since the
>last backup...  For future reference, is
>there any way to rebuild active?

In the worst case it's impossible without extra information, because there
is no way to reconstruct the fourth field of the active file (in particular,
whether groups are moderated or not).  Given an active file with first and
fourth fields right, recovact and upact will fix the second and third
fields respectively.  See the manual pages for details.
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

qiyuebu@altair (Qiyue Bu) (02/18/90)