[news.sysadmin] Mistaken for a moderated newsgroup

root@rpp386.cactus.org (Super user) (02/22/90)

Someone recently created a newsgroup here in Austin for "Important
Announcements", austin.announce.

A posting I recently made which was crossposted between news.config
and austin.announce is now generating "Moderated Newsgroup"
messages from half way around the world.

What exactly is causing this and what exactly can I do to stop
it???

icsu6000@caesar (Jaye Mathisen) (02/22/90)

In article <18008@rpp386.cactus.org> root@rpp386.cactus.org (Super user) writes:
>Someone recently created a newsgroup here in Austin for "Important
>Announcements", austin.announce.
>What exactly is causing this and what exactly can I do to stop
>it???

Some of the news software thinks that a newsgroup name with 'announce'
in it is a moderated group.

I would venture to guess that's what it is.  I think B news does
this, I have no idea about C news.

| Jaye Mathisen,systems manager       Internet: icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu|
| 410 Roberts Hall                      BITNET: icsu6000@mtsunix1.bitnet      |
| Dept. of Computer Science	                                              |

In article <3433@caesar.cs.montana.edu> icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) writes:
>Some of the news software thinks that a newsgroup name with 'announce'
>in it is a moderated group.    ...  I think B news does
>this, I have no idea about C news.

Unless I've missed something subtle in Geoff's code, C News does not do this.
(There is nothing in the spec, RFC1036, which calls for it.)
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu