[news.sysadmin] secure netnews/NNTP

tgp@sei.cmu.edu (Tod Pike) (04/10/90)

  I am interested in setting up a mailing list to discuss ways of improving
the security of netnews and NNTP, in order to provide methods of authenticating
the source of a news article.  This list would be made up of sysadmins and
news software maintainers, and other interested parties.

  If you are interested in joining such a list, send mail to "tgp@sei.cmu.edu",
and if there is sufficient interest, I will set up a mail exploder.  On the
other hand, if someone knows of an already existing list, please let me know
that, also.

			Tod Pike

--
Arpanet: tgp@sei.cmu.edu
Mail:    Carnegie Mellon University

brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (04/11/90)

In article <6736@fy.sei.cmu.edu> tgp@sei.cmu.edu (Tod Pike) writes:
>   I am interested in setting up a mailing list to discuss ways of
> improving the security of netnews and NNTP, in order to provide methods
> of authenticating the source of a news article.

Watch for my auth package in c.s.unix, assuming Rich gets around to it.
auth provides (among other things) an implementation of RFC 931, the
Authentication Server, which neatly solves all these problems. I do not
deny the rumor that I'm going to use auth in a forthcoming NNTP clone to
provide full authentication within any subnet that supports it.

---Dan