[news.sysadmin] Is it possible to ln the spool/uucp news files to save space?

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (07/04/90)

In batching all the articles for several sites I feed, I would like
to link all of the D.* files in spool/uucp, (data files only), so that I
could save on disk space. Is this possible, and if so, what format do I
need to create the C.* files in?
--
Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation                  WK 1-602-957-8870
Camelback Corporate Center  2821 E. Camelback Road  Suite 600  Phoenix, AZ 85016

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (07/05/90)

In article <201572@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:

>In batching all the articles for several sites I feed, I would like
>to link all of the D.* files in spool/uucp, (data files only), so that I
>could save on disk space. Is this possible, and if so, what format do I
>need to create the C.* files in?

I've been doing this for years. It works great.

You can either fake it with a shell script, by knowing what the name of a
file will be after being copied by uux, you can replace it with a link
to the file you want sent. Something like:

	uux site!rnews < /dev/null
	ln batch /usr/spool/uucp/site/D........

Even better is uucast by Shane McCarron.

It allows you to do a multiple site uux like:

	uucast batchfile rnews sitea siteb sitec sited .....

I don't know where it is available from, I got a copy from somewhere a year
or so ago.

I've put a copy in:

	van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca:~ftp/pub/news/uucast.tar.Z

If there are enough requests I can post a shar file, it's a fairly small
amount of code.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (07/06/90)

In article <773@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <201572@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>> [ wants to link outgoing /usr/spool/uucp/D* files ]
> [ says he's been doing it, suggests how ]

Won't this only work where you have identical feeds to the systems in
question? Or, do you just funnel everything to your downstream sites,
and let them junk what they don't want?

I'd like to see a mechanisim that would do something like this, but
I think it'd take an intelligent sendbatch to prepare batches
common to all (or several) systems....

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

In article <687@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>>> [ wants to link outgoing /usr/spool/uucp/D* files ]
>> [ says he's been doing it, suggests how ]
>I'd like to see a mechanisim that would do something like this, but
>I think it'd take an intelligent sendbatch to prepare batches
>common to all (or several) systems....

No, all you need is a way to tell your batcher that this stream of
articles goes to several sites, not just one, and a way to tell uucp
to just make links.  C News provides the former if you've got the latter.
--
"Either NFS must be scrapped or NFS    | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
must be changed."  -John K. Ousterhout |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry