[news.sysadmin] Why & how to join Internet community?

jes@mth.msu.edu (Jesse) (08/29/90)

1. How do you convince a computer company to connect its LAN to
Internet if it could use UUCP to deliver the e-mail and USENET news?
Possible answer : Use telnet/ftp.
   While telnet/ftp is convenient, it's not so important to a
   company unless you need to use remote computation substantially.

2. If a company decides to connect to Internet, what should it do to get
on the Internet?
How much will it cost for initial investment and daily operation
compared to a UUCP link?

Your help and comments will be highly appreciated.

Jesse

gupta@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rohit Gupta) (08/29/90)

jes@mth.msu.edu (Jesse) writes:
>Possible answer : Use telnet/ftp.
>   While telnet/ftp is convenient, it's not so important to a
>   company unless you need to use remote computation substantially.

Another reason why a company may not prefer a TCP/IP connection is because
of security. With telnet someone could try to login to your system. With ftp
he/she could try to steal some files. In fact, some versions of telnet/ftp
(especially on PCs and Macs) make ftp'ing files from a site trivial.

Rohit

--
 -------------------- Rohit Gupta --------  (217)244-1205 --------------------
 Internet:rohit@uiuc.edu   UUCP:uunet!uiucuxc!ux1!gupta  BITNET:GUPTA@UIUCVMD

root@smarine.UUCP (Chris Hapgood) (08/30/90)

Here's the address to write to in order to get an official Internet
address:
DDN Network Information Center
SRI International
333 Ravenswood Avenue, Room EJ291
Menlo Park, CA  94025    USA
Their phone number is (800) 235-3155.  Actually, though, they prefer
that applications be submitted electronically to HOSTMASTER@NIC.DDN.MIL.
I have the request form here (electronically) if anyone has trouble
contacting DDN.  I'll mail it upon request.  I doubt you'll need it as
the people at DDN were very helpful when I mailed and called.  By the
way, I believe there are no fees involved in getting an Internet address
assigned.

Chris Hapgood		@Virginia.EDU:@smarine.uucp:cch0241@medusa
2111 Michie Drive #100		...!uucp!virginia!smarine!medusa!cch0241
Charlottesville, VA  22901
H:(804) 977-8345 W:(804) 974-2584
--

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Aug29.054812.8000@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gupta@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rohit Gupta) writes:
>jes@mth.msu.edu (Jesse) writes:
>>Possible answer : Use telnet/ftp.
>>   While telnet/ftp is convenient, it's not so important to a
>>   company unless you need to use remote computation substantially.
>
>Another reason why a company may not prefer a TCP/IP connection is because
>of security. With telnet someone could try to login to your system. With ftp
>he/she could try to steal some files.

  If you have a smart gateway, you can configure it to refuse incoming
TCP/IP connections to certain ports.  (Bellcore does this, for
instance.)  Alternatively, run a dumb gateway but don't allow direct
TCP/IP to hosts other than the gateway; this will make it considerably
more difficult for people to break into your company.

(If I've missed something here, someone is bound to point it out. :-)

	Anton

| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison |