[news.sysadmin] Why "relaynews: can't link to `comp/misc/28'"?

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep12.190321.18474@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1990Sep10.160446.3440@shibaya.lonestar.org> afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) writes:
>>relaynews: can't link to `talk/politics/misc/10'
>
>Barring the possibility that your system is strange in some way, the most
>likely cause is permission problems of some kind.  It's an odd problem and
>it's hard to say much more from the information at hand.

Many thanks to all who responded to my original question.  All gave hints
related to one of the following areas:

1 - Did I run out of inodes?  No. Still had around 5000.

2 - Some file of directory ownership in the path of the article that
    could not be linked was not what it should have been.  This too was off
    the mark: absolutely everything in /usr/spool/news had news.news
    owner/group.  Apparently this type of message is a typical result of
    running addgroup as something other than the news owner/group.

3 - Had I split the news spool directory across two partitions?  No, I have
    one partition, period.

That seems to leave the possibility that my system is strange in some way.
Has anybody had this problem running cnews on an AT&T 3b1 (3.51m)?

--
Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc@shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,tsci,egsner}!shibaya!afc