[news.sysadmin] Cnews checkgroups

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.092028.5980@iddth.id.dk> news@iddth.id.dk (Usenet News Manager) writes:
>gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) writes:
> [ discussing Cnews checkgroups messages ]

>>Relax; ignore it; it doesn't hurt anything.

>My newsgroups list gets garbled and I have to restore it every time.
>It's a very good thing that c-news makes a back-up...

As I understand it, checkgroups should only read the active file and
the checkgroups message, compare the two, and mail a note of differences
to the site admin. It should not read $NEWSLIB/newsgroups, and should
not write anything in $NEWSLIB (possibly excepting log file entries).

Note that I am currently running Bnews, and will convert to Cnews very
soon (hopefully, today!). In email Karl Kleinpaste has recommended using
the Bnews checkgroups program instead of the Cnews one, as the Cnews
checkgroups has acknowledged problems in it. I plan to go ahead and
do this (I certainly don't know everything about news; Karl and Henry
Spencer are orders of magnitude above me, so I'll take their advice!).

If something is eating your $NEWSLIB/newsgroups or $NEWSLIB/active files,
something is wrong, somewhere.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)