[news.sysadmin] NFS Multiple Mounts

rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.213334.2170@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> seaney@lees.cogsci.uiuc.edu (Steven Seaney) writes:

>Has anybody seen this before?  Is this a problem?  It doesn't seem like
>a real good situation.
>
>sam.cogsci.uiuc.edu:/usr/local
>		     200000  100852   99148    50%    /imports/sam/usr_local
>sam.cogsci.uiuc.edu:/usr/local
>		    200000  100852   99148    50%    /imports/sam/usr_local
>sam.cogsci.uiuc.edu:/usr/local
>		    200000  100852   99148    50%    /imports/sam/usr_local

I started seeing this with SunOS 4.1. Prior to that, if you wanted to mount
a whole bunch of NFS disks while some others were already mounted, you could
just say "mount -at nfs". The ones that were already mounted would generate
a harmless error message, the others would mount, and everything would be
hunky-dory. Now, however, some things wind up being multiply mounted.

I don't think it is causing problems, but I don't like it either. I wonder
if it has something to do with the "remount" capability.

[I'm directing followups to comp.protocols.nfs, which seems more appropriate]
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM