[news.sysadmin] Update to ODT 1.0?

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Sheckel) (12/05/90)

Hello.  Does anyone know whether or not it's possible to upgrade ODT's
Sys V.3.2.1 to V.3.2.2?  How does one get the upgrade?  What's the cost?
This seems a very useful upgrade, since it fixes many bugs and introduces
job control!  Please help if you can.
--
+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (12/09/90)

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Sheckel) writes:
> Hello.  Does anyone know whether or not it's possible to upgrade ODT's
> Sys V.3.2.1 to V.3.2.2?  How does one get the upgrade?  What's the cost?
> This seems a very useful upgrade, since it fixes many bugs and introduces
> job control!  Please help if you can.

According to our contacts inside SCO, the upgrade will be available in
the first quarter of 1991.  It will upgrade the OS base to SCO
System Vr3.2v2.0, fix bugs in the TCP/IP and X-Windows implimentation,
and lots of other fun stuff.

It should be available from whoever you purchased your copy of ODT from.
It will definitely be available from your friendly neighborhood SCO rep.
(Heck, call my company, Dominant Systems, at (313)971-1210 if you can't
find anybody else.  We're authorized SCO resellers.)

I don't know what the cost will be, but your SCO rep will undoubtedly
know.  (Probably a couple hundred, less if you bought ODT recently.)

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (12/09/90)

In <921@stewart.UUCP> jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Sheckel) writes:

>Hello.  Does anyone know whether or not it's possible to upgrade ODT's
>Sys V.3.2.1 to V.3.2.2?  How does one get the upgrade?  What's the cost?
>This seems a very useful upgrade, since it fixes many bugs and introduces
>job control!  Please help if you can.

ODT 1.1 will have SCO UNIX 3.2.2.  It should be available in Jan/Feb 1991.

There will most probably be an upgrade, but no info is available on that
yet.

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-      Computers are useless.  They can only give you the answers.          -

In article <cauVT1w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

| According to our contacts inside SCO, the upgrade will be available in
| the first quarter of 1991.  It will upgrade the OS base to SCO
| System Vr3.2v2.0, fix bugs in the TCP/IP and X-Windows implimentation,
| and lots of other fun stuff.

  The bug in SCO X-windows is that it is X11R3. Looking at source in
comp.sources.x shows little or no code which will run on it without
major effort, and X11R5 is going to ship very soon. I'm told the ship
date will be announced at the conference in January. We have been asked
to get last minute changes to our contrib stuff in soon.

  If bug fix means update to the current (two year old) standard, I'm
happy. If it means that the obsolete version will work better and that
Athena widgets will be bundled, that's not of particular interest to me.

BTW: for those with small displays and X11R4, the tvtwm window manager
is a nice solution to keeping a reasonable bunch of stuff on the
desktop. It compiled on Dell V.4 with minimal diddling, and about two
hours of hacking the .tvtwmrc file to look the way I want it. I run an
1152x900 virtual root window, for obvious reasons.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) (12/11/90)

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) writes:

>In <921@stewart.UUCP> jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Sheckel) writes:

>ODT 1.1 will have SCO UNIX 3.2.2.  It should be available in Jan/Feb 1991.

For some time now SCO has been advertising the availability of Frame under
UNIX.

Nobody seems to know anything about it even if you try to order one.
And since we were just talking about scuttlebutts, what gives?

Someone said here once that SCO won't release Frame until UNIX 3.3 is out.
Anybody have any scoop?

Fred
--
Fred Rump              | Home of Brother John Software
CompuData, Inc.        |

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (12/12/90)

In <2403@cdin-1.UUCP> fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) writes:

>For some time now SCO has been advertising the availability of Frame under
>UNIX.

>Nobody seems to know anything about it even if you try to order one.
>And since we were just talking about scuttlebutts, what gives?

>Someone said here once that SCO won't release Frame until UNIX 3.3 is out.
>Anybody have any scoop?

No, I think Frame and SCO have some sort of agreement that says Frame
will not be distributed until ODT 1.1 is release (which is real soon
now).

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-                                                                          -

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (12/15/90)

In article <921@stewart.UUCP> jerry@stewart.UUCP (Jerry Shekhel) writes:

>Hello.  Does anyone know whether or not it's possible to upgrade ODT's
>Sys V.3.2.1 to V.3.2.2?  How does one get the upgrade?  What's the cost?
>This seems a very useful upgrade, since it fixes many bugs and introduces
>job control!  Please help if you can.

>|           ...! [ princeton mit-eddie bu sunne ] !polygen!jerry             |
>|                            jerry@polygen.com                               |

SCO OpenDesktop 1.1 (which is currently in beta) reportedly is based
on SCO UNIX 3.2v2 so once it's released I wouldn't be surprised if
an upgrade path is announced shortly thereafter.

If you *really_want* to be using ODT on 3.2v2 right now, your only
recourse is to install the ODT1.0 packages on top of a 3.2v2 o/s.
Of course, if you don't happen to have both lying around right now,
it's not a particularily cost-efficient way to go, aside from which
I kinda doubt that SCO would want to support such a configuration.
[I know it does work if you do it right in that we ran that config
 this past summer].

I would however recommend waiting for ODT1.1, it shouldn't be that
much longer.

--
  Ed. A. Hew  <edhew@xenitec.on.ca>,  XeniTec Consulting Services
  or if you're really stuck:  ..!{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!eah