[news.sysadmin] filters to detect uuencode binaries

zdkm01@hou.amoco.com (Dave Moore) (05/24/91)

We are currently in the process of establishing a corporate UseNet
network.  It will consist of Cnews servers, interconnected using
nntp.  Due to management concerns over copyright infringements and
viral attacks I would like to know if anyone is familiar with filters
that may be applied against a file to determine if it contains an
uuencode binary.

Also, would it be possible to include such a filter in the nntp
stream so that files containing the information could be intercepted
and removed or redirected.

Please email any info that you have and summarize in a later posting.

Thanks in advance.
--
Dave Moore	dmoore@hou.amoco.com
Amoco Corp. ISD SSS/Mini-Micro Systems

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (06/10/91)

In article <1991May23.190827.24459@hou.amoco.com> zdkm01@hou.amoco.com (Dave Moore) writes:
>Also, would it be possible to include such a filter in the nntp
>stream so that files containing the information could be intercepted
>and removed or redirected.

Such functionality should be part of the news system, not NNTP. I would guess
that the news relay and news posting functions of CNEWS could be modified to
do this. However, you'll probably have to do this yourself.

NNTP will not support such features and no plans are on the drawing board
to include such features. It is not what NNTP does.
--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: rutgers!bcm!sob             and Systems Support