[news.sysadmin] admins should expire news.announce.newusers at 90 days

In article <9106142131.aa04662@art-sy.detroit.mi.us>
	chap@art-sy.detroit.mi.us (j chapman flack) writes:
>How about allowing Expires: to take an absolute date, as it does now, or a
>relative date, say in the syntax of at(1), like now + 30 days.  Interpret the
>relative date as relative to the article's arrival date

That's not the point of Expires:.  It's there to fix a time in
relation to the real world, so event announcements will go away
after their usefulness has passed, or to "sunset" stuff like the
FAQ postings to force content review, and ensure periodic
reposting (otherwise sites that join the net never see them).  It
helps tremendously to have global agreement on when that is.

I don't see why *any* article should bear an Expires: more
than three months in the future.  It really f---s things
up when minart is artificially low because some bozo used
a ludicrous Expires:.   A newsgroup with true "permanent
value" (e.g. news.announce.important) is a good candidate
for administrative retention, hence Expires: is unneeded
there.

Followups to news.software.b please; we've drifted off the
original topic.

					-=EPS=-