[news.software.b] postnews throwing messages away

I just spent fifteen minutes composing a posting for net.unix-wizards.
I ran postnews, answered all its questions, and it dropped me into
emacs for composition.  A while later, I saved and exited.  Postnews (I
assume it was postnews) then printed

Not sending to any newsgroups - no message posted

and THREW AWAY THE POSTING TEMPORARY FILE!  No mail to me, no mail to
usenet, no dead.* files in my home directory, presumably no posting to
net.unix-wizards, nothing!  Who wrote this trash?  Why wait until
*after* the luser has written the posting before throwing it on the
floor?!  The least it could have done is

Not sending to any newsgroups.  Disposition?  [save, add-groups, quit]

or something along those lines.

Postnews is gonna get worked over tonight.

I shall me *most* annoyed if it throws this one on the floor too.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu

	Aren't you glad you don't shave with Occam's Razor?

wtm@bunker.UUCP (Bill McGarry) (11/12/86)

In article <541@mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
>I just spent fifteen minutes composing a posting for net.unix-wizards.
>I ran postnews, answered all its questions, and it dropped me into
>emacs for composition.  A while later, I saved and exited.  Postnews (I
>assume it was postnews) then printed
>
>Not sending to any newsgroups - no message posted
>
>and THREW AWAY THE POSTING TEMPORARY FILE!  No mail to me, no mail to
>usenet, no dead.* files in my home directory, presumably no posting to
>net.unix-wizards, nothing!

It appears that you edited or removed the "Newsgroup" line in the
article -- thus postnews had no place to post your article.  It's
very easy to change the code to save your article.  Just add the following
lines to "postnews.c" immediately after the label "nogroups:" (this is
in 2.11 anyway).

	sprintf(ccname, "%s/dead.article", homedir);
	printf("Article being saved in %s\n", ccname);
	save_article();

				Bill McGarry
				Bunker Ramo, Trumbull, CT

	PATH:	{decvax, philabs, ittatc, fortune}!bunker!wtm

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (11/13/86)

I got the same aggravation from Pnews+inews.  A nice friendly
"inews: active file too long" and no saved article anywhere.
(2.10.2 - still waiting for the last dribbles of 2.11)
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (11/13/86)

In article <1305@bunker.UUCP> wtm@bunker.UUCP (Bill McGarry) writes:
>very easy to change the code to save your article.  Just add the following
>lines to "postnews.c" immediately after the label "nogroups:" (this is
>in 2.11 anyway).

You may have noticed files in the 2.11 distribution called
"patchlevel.*".  What are they for, you may ask?  So patches can be
sent out as errors are corrected and features are added, as is done
for rn.  So if you fix problems on your own, save the old code, so
you can apply the patches when the code is fixed "right".
--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (11/14/86)

In article <1552@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>I got the same aggravation from Pnews+inews.  A nice friendly
>"inews: active file too long" and no saved article anywhere.
>(2.10.2 - still waiting for the last dribbles of 2.11)

This was fixed OVER A YEAR AGO, in patch #25.  Either your rn is woefully
underpatched, or you never installed it after patching it, or somebody has
screwed around with your Pnews, or you didn't look for the .article file
in your home directory, which is supposed to stay around until the next time
you run Pnews.

Yes, I got the same aggravation from Pnews+inews.  Once.  A long time ago.
It didn't happen twice to me, let me assure you.

Here's to better software.

(Aside to the person who thinks 35 patches indicates rn is too complex--
note that this is 35 patches since May of 1985.  That's about 2 patches
per month.  And some of those are upgrades, not bug fixes.)

(Aside to the person who thinks I should post a new version pretty soon so
people don't have to apply 35 patches--gimme a month or so and you'll have it.)

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall