[news.software.b] uurec doesn't work

amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (11/24/86)

As distributed, uurec (used to process news received by a mail link)
doesn't recognize the way 'sendmail' creates its headers; it expects
'From ' instead of 'From:'. If no 'From' line is detected, it spills
its processed input to stdout, rather than passing it through 'popen'
to 'rnews'.

This wasn't fixed in 2.11, so I guess I'll have to keep using what
I have used under 2.10, namely, a shell file containing:

exec sed -n 's/^N//p' | rnews

If you read this article, it means this scheme works under 2.11.
--
	Amos Shapir
National Semiconductor (Israel)

sob@soma.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (11/26/86)

In article <528@instable.UUCP> amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
>As distributed, uurec (used to process news received by a mail link)
>doesn't recognize the way 'sendmail' creates its headers; it expects
>'From ' instead of 'From:'. If no 'From' line is detected, it spills
>its processed input to stdout, rather than passing it through 'popen'
>to 'rnews'.

It was always my impression that uurec was built to handle uucp mail
that was to submitted to rnews. By definition (see RFC 976), UUCP
mail messages start with a line that begins 'From '.

Sendmail can create headers of this nature. Just define the
"u" flag in the F field (e.g. F=DFMu).

If the UUCP mail you are receiving does not begin with a
'From ' line, someone's software is broken.

Stan