[news.software.b] A precaution to prevent loading your system.

stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Stephen J. Muir) (12/07/86)

Since installing patch #1 to 2.11 news, our news system started sending every
article to itself.  I have mailed Rick Adams about this but, in order to get
round this, I have added the 'F' flag to the local entry in my sys file, so
that the articles just get appended to a file instead of going in and out of my
UUCP queue and giving my system unnecessary loading.  Even when this gets
fixed, I recommend that everyone leaves this flag in just in case this happens
happens to you now, or in the future.  It is a useful precaution.

ME:world,comp,sci,news,rec,soc,talk,misc,net.announce.arpa-internet,mod,eunet,uk,scot,dcl,to:F:
--
EMAIL:	stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk	| Post: University of Lancaster,
UUCP:	...!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen	|	Department of Computing,

sob@cortex.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (12/09/86)

My guess is that your hostname and uucpname don't match and news is confused
on which on to use. News will strip the domain off at the first period, so
that also may be a source of problems.

Stan	     uucp:{shell,rice,cuae2}!soma!sob       Opinions expressed here
Olan         domain:sob@rice.edu or sob@soma.bcm.tmc.edu   are ONLY mine &
Barber       CIS:71565,623   BBS:(713)790-9004               noone else's.

john@basser.oz (John Mackin) (12/12/86)

In article <86@dcl-csvax.comp.lancs.ac.uk>,
	stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Stephen J. Muir) writes:

> Since installing patch #1 to 2.11 news, our news system started sending every
> article to itself.  I have mailed Rick Adams about this but, in order to get
> round this, I have added the 'F' flag to the local entry in my sys file, ...

I would be interested to hear whether this is happening to other people.
We're running close-to-vanilla 2.11 with patch #1 installed and this is
not happening here.  (This is on a 780 with UNIX that's sort of 4.1-ish,
for ridiculous legal reasons I cannot be more explicit about what the OS
really is.)

John Mackin, Basser Department of Computer Science,
	     University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia

john@basser.oz.AU (john%basser.oz@SEISMO.CSS.GOV)
{seismo,hplabs,mcvax,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!basser.oz!john