[news.software.b] 2.11 patch #2 problems?

shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) (12/20/86)

I installed patch #2 without any errors from patch, but when I
try to build news, I get errors trying to build checknews -
"header" and "line" are undefined.  Anyone else have this problem?
Any ideas what I did wrong?  I haven't tried to run anything so
I don't know if the stuff that did build will work properly.

					Bill Shannon

holtzman@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Henry N. Holtzman) (12/20/86)

In article <10710@sun.uucp> shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) writes:
    about trouble getting checknews to compile with patch2 applied.

Did you really customize a localize.sh, and let it re-build the
Makefile, or did you just put in a null localize.sh and edit the
Makefile and defs.h by hand?

I had the exact same problem, but then I noticed that that
Makefile.dst had been patched as part of patch2, so I finally buckled
down and wrote my own localize.sh and ran it from the start.  This
time the build worked.

I suspect a "make clean" followed by a "make all" would solve your
problem, but I recommend at least merging your changes and the new
Makefile.dst into a new Makefile.

-Henry

bruce@bnr-vpa.UUCP (12/21/86)

In article <10710@sun.uucp>, shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) writes:
>                ... I get errors trying to build checknews -
> "header" and "line" are undefined.  Anyone else have this problem?

	Yes. Same problem occurred here. I have not attempted to find
out why, though.
			-Bruce Townsend (bnr-vpa!bruce)

shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) (12/21/86)

In article <585@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, holtzman@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Henry N. Holtzman) writes:
> In article <10710@sun.uucp> shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) writes:
>     about trouble getting checknews to compile with patch2 applied.
>
> Did you really customize a localize.sh, and let it re-build the
> Makefile, or did you just put in a null localize.sh and edit the
> Makefile and defs.h by hand?
>
> I had the exact same problem, but then I noticed that that
> Makefile.dst had been patched as part of patch2, so I finally buckled
> down and wrote my own localize.sh and ran it from the start.  This
> time the build worked.
>
> I suspect a "make clean" followed by a "make all" would solve your
> problem, but I recommend at least merging your changes and the new
> Makefile.dst into a new Makefile.
>
> -Henry

I've had a localize.sh from the beginning.  However, after installing
patch #2, I just typed "make".  make then ran my localize.sh to create
a new Makefile, but by then it was too late because make was already
running with my old Makefile.  Simply running make again caused it to
make checknews properly.  Sigh.  Thanks, Henry.

					Bill

shprentz@bdmrrr.UUCP (Joel Shprentz) (12/21/86)

In article <10710@sun.uucp>, shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) writes:
> I installed patch #2 without any errors from patch, but when I
> try to build news, I get errors trying to build checknews -
> "header" and "line" are undefined.  Anyone else have this problem?

I had the same problem.

(Henry N. Holtzman) writes:
> Did you really customize a localize.sh, and let it re-build the
> Makefile, or did you just put in a null localize.sh and edit the
> Makefile and defs.h by hand?

I have a customized localize.sh.  After I installed patch #2, I typed
"make".  The first things made were Makefile and defs.h.  The compilation
and linking continued until the error:

	cc  checknews.o process.o cpathinit.o -o checknews
	Undefined:
	_header
	_line

The problem was that make was using the commands in the old make file,
not the new one.  I typed "make clean" and then "make" again.  This time
make used the new makefile.  Checknews linked fine with the revised command:

	cc  checknews.o process.o cpathinit.o rextern.o -o checknews

My recommendation:  After installing the patch, type "make Makefile" to
make the new makefile.  Then type "make" to recompile everything else.
--
Joel Shprentz			Phone:  (703) 848-7305
BDM Corporation			Uucp:  {seismo,vrdxhq}!bdmrrr!shprentz

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (12/21/86)

In article <10710@sun.uucp> shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) writes:
>I installed patch #2 without any errors from patch, but when I
>try to build news, I get errors trying to build checknews -
>"header" and "line" are undefined.  Anyone else have this problem?
>					Bill Shannon

I, too found the exact same problem on a VAX running SysVr2 and my 3b2.
Seems the patch makes those two variables extern with no other declaration.
I temporarily removed the extern's and all seems to be fixed with that.
However, there is another rather large problem.  inews.c now has a patch
to make sure that rnews -U does not run while expire is running.  However,
rnews -U does not work at all, now.  A friend looked at the code, and
temporarily had me do a "rnews -S -U" instead and also patch expire.c
to use the same string.  Seems the #ifdefs are messed up in inews.c.
Was patch#2 tested on a SysV system with SPOOLNEWS defined?

.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess
chinet - Public Access UN*X
(312) 545 7535 (h) (312) 283 0559 (system)
..!ihnp4!chinet!randy

root@physiol.su.oz (root) (12/22/86)

In article <10710@sun.uucp>, shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) writes:
> when I
> try to build news, I get errors trying to build checknews -
> "header" and "line" are undefined.  Anyone else have this problem?
Same problem here.  changing line 35 of checknews.c:
	extern int line;
	int line;
did the trick.
-

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (12/22/86)

In article <10710@sun.uucp> shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) writes:
>I installed patch #2 without any errors from patch, but when I
>try to build news, I get errors trying to build checknews -
>"header" and "line" are undefined.  Anyone else have this problem?

The same thing happened to me.  The problem went away while I was trying to
track it down.  Probably an object file that needed recompiling but
the Makefile was missing a dependency for it.  I never did figure out
what the problem had been.

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (12/25/86)

In article <810@bdmrrr.UUCP>, shprentz@bdmrrr.UUCP (Joel Shprentz) writes:
> My recommendation:  After installing the patch, type "make Makefile" to
> make the new makefile.  Then type "make" to recompile everything else.

You could also do what the documentation states.  Type "sh localize.sh",
followed by "make".  The localize.sh script (you said you made one) will
correctly create your makefile and defs.h for you.

[you know, when all else fails, try reading the instructions!]

-paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.	 UUCP: {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!devon!paul
Devon Computer Services  COMPUSERVE: 76176,502