[news.software.b] 2.11 cancel msg does not update history file

dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) (12/28/86)

I have recently noticed that when a 'cancel' control
message is received from the network, that 2.11 news removes
the article in the /usr/spool/news directory, but it
does *not* remove the entry from the /usr/lib/news/history,
history.pag and history.dir files.  Probably a bug.

Too bad expire(8) doesn't have an option to remove a particular
article based on the message-ID.

-dennis

--
-Dennis Bednar
{decvax,ihnp4,harpo,allegra}!seismo!rlgvax!dennis	UUCP

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (12/29/86)

    I have recently noticed that when a 'cancel' control
    message is received from the network, that 2.11 news removes
    the article in the /usr/spool/news directory, but it
    does *not* remove the entry from the /usr/lib/news/history,
    history.pag and history.dir files.  Probably a bug.

Feature, not a bug.  This prevents the article from getting installed if
it comes in again later.  Don't know about the 2.11 expire, but mine keeps
the entry in the history file around for a couple of weeks, then deletes it.

dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) (01/05/87)

In article <322f30f0.982f@apollo.uucp>, rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) writes:

>     I have recently noticed that when a 'cancel' control
>     message is received from the network, that 2.11 news removes
>     the article in the /usr/spool/news directory, but it
>     does *not* remove the entry from the /usr/lib/news/history,
>     history.pag and history.dir files.  Probably a bug.
>
> Feature, not a bug.  This prevents the article from getting installed if
> it comes in again later.  Don't know about the 2.11 expire, but mine keeps
> the entry in the history file around for a couple of weeks, then deletes it.

Let me clarify.  When an article is cancelled I think the proper thing
for the history file is to contain a line either of the form:

<7770@gatech.EDU>	 12/19/86 04:49	cancelled
<7770@gatech.EDU>	 12/19/86 04:49

(The two forms may result depending on whether the cancel control
message was received before (1st line) or after (2nd line) the
actual article being cancelled. This is only a guess though.)

However, the history file erroneously says something like:

<1355@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU>	01/05/87 12:09	soc.culture.jewish/89

i.e, the article is still pointed to by the history file, but should
say "cancelled" or "" instead.
--

kre@munnari.oz (Robert Elz) (01/06/87)

In article <308@rlgvax.UUCP>, dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) writes:
> Let me clarify.  When an article is cancelled I think the proper thing
> for the history file is to contain a line either of the form:
>
> <7770@gatech.EDU>	 12/19/86 04:49	cancelled
> <7770@gatech.EDU>	 12/19/86 04:49

The first of those is from an incoming cancel message when
the message to be cancelled has not been seen, the second
comes from expiring a message, not cancelling it.

> However, the history file erroneously says something like:
>
> <1355@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU>	01/05/87 12:09	soc.culture.jewish/89
>
> i.e, the article is still pointed to by the history file, but should
> say "cancelled" or "" instead.

This would be too expensive - history files are large, rewriting
it for a cancel message would take forever.

So, the history file is just left as it was, the code that accesses
articles based on the history file knows that if the file named
doesn't exist, then the message must have been cancelled.

Robert Elz			seismo!munnari!kre

rjnoe@uniq.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (01/07/87)

In article <1387@munnari.oz>, kre@munnari.oz (Robert Elz) writes:
> In article <308@rlgvax.UUCP>, dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) writes:
> > i.e, the article is still pointed to by the history file, but should
> > say "cancelled" or "" instead.
>
> This would be too expensive - history files are large, rewriting
> it for a cancel message would take forever.

But then expire will take care of the line when it runs later, since it will
not be able to open the file to see if there's an Expires: field or anything
else for that matter.
	Roger Noe			ihnp4!uniq!rjnoe
	Uniq Digital Technologies	rjnoe@uniq.UUCP

kre@munnari.oz (Robert Elz) (01/08/87)

In article <226@uniq.UUCP>, rjnoe@uniq.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) writes:
> But then expire will take care of the line when it runs later, since it will
> not be able to open the file to see if there's an Expires: field or anything
> else for that matter.

It would, or could, but expire no longer opens every news article,
the history file contains info in it as to whether there is an
Expires line or not, if there's not, then there's no need to open
the article, so expire will never realise that the article has been
cancelled, so won't alter the history file.

When it really comes time for the original article to expire, then
expire will see that it was cancelled some time earlier.

Please forget this issue, there's no bug, it all works.

kre